MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defer Exam but know you can't write it in reading week mangam3 Academics 2 12-17-2012 06:51 PM
Defer an exam for a summer course, when do you write it? mangam3 Academics 2 06-12-2012 08:04 PM
Defer Exam Please Help?! brazil2014 Academics 5 12-17-2011 10:14 PM
How to defer payment? DJ_JJ Financial Aid 1 07-26-2010 10:06 AM

Defer

Old 02-18-2013 at 11:59 AM   #1
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Defer
thanks everyone for the responses

Last edited by biglandfarm : 02-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2013 at 12:25 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If you miss an exam that you have deferred, you must repeat the course. You can't defer an exam more than once in the same course.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/deferred.html

biglandfarm says thanks to starfish for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 02-18-2013 at 12:38 PM   #3
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you miss an exam that you have deferred, you must repeat the course. You can't defer an exam more than once in the same course.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/deferred.html
Thanks for the link and pointer!!

I guess the question I have now is, does repeating the course mean I am going to fail, than have me repeat the course?? Or just retake the course, and whatever I had before in this course is gone?

Last edited by biglandfarm : 02-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2013 at 12:50 PM   #4
raine

Liked: 1 Time

If you have to repeat the course, wouldn't you end up with a 0 as the grade for that course? In that case, it would lower your GPA substantially.

biglandfarm says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 02-18-2013 at 12:52 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

From the link that I posted, "A deferred examination privilege in any given course may be granted only once and the deferred examination must be written in the next examination session **. Students who do not write or fail a deferred examination must repeat the course or substitute an approved equivalent, provided they are allowed to continue in their program."

The bolded part makes me think that you will get a zero in the course the first time, and have to repeat it in order to get the credit for it, which makes sense, but I'm not 100% sure.

biglandfarm says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:02 PM   #6
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
From the link that I posted, "A deferred examination privilege in any given course may be granted only once and the deferred examination must be written in the next examination session **. Students who do not write or fail a deferred examination must repeat the course or substitute an approved equivalent, provided they are allowed to continue in their program."

The bolded part makes me think that you will get a zero in the course the first time, and have to repeat it in order to get the credit for it, which makes sense, but I'm not 100% sure.
I see, that makes sense to me.

I just emailed the academic adviser. Hopefully she will get back to me first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your inputs.

Did some more reading, looks like your are right about repeating = failing.
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:13 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you shoulda been studyin bro

biglandfarm, Zebedee like this.
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:43 PM   #8
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
you shoulda been studyin bro
what is the point of studying, when you learn nothing.

Afsha-noon, Zebedee like this.
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:54 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

then just write the exam and stop running from it just cuz u aint prepared.
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:57 PM   #10
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
then just write the exam and stop running from it just cuz u aint prepared.
you dident answer my question. But really, i think the answer is to jump through the hoops to prove that you are worthy to work for society.

Which might be what I am going to be end up doing, and write it lol.
Old 02-18-2013 at 02:08 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
you dident answer my question. But really, i think the answer is to jump through the hoops to prove that you are worthy to work for society.

Which might be what I am going to be end up doing, and write it lol.
there was no need to answer it. you said theres no point in studyin. its obvious u should just write it since u dont wanna study. its only 2 options. write or take 0.