MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam Deferral Question, Science faculty solonavi Academics 6 04-27-2009 07:29 AM
Final Exam Deferral Question (Commerce Program) blooreema Academics 1 04-17-2009 02:37 AM

Deferral

Old 11-01-2010 at 05:09 PM   #1
AztekEscobar

Liked: 2 Times

Deferral
I have a quick question is it possible to defer a test that i have tomorrow. I am very stressed out and have a migrane, I am medically known by my doctor for my severe migrane headaches. I cannot concentrate and I have had a busy weekend with other assignmnents. Is it possible to get a defferal or do i need a doctors note?
Old 11-01-2010 at 05:13 PM   #2
SC04

Liked: 4 Times

If you're in that much pain, you could just miss it and fill out a missed work form citing migraines as a reason. I would recommend you get a doctor's note, since if you miss too many assignments they'll start checking into passed ones. Make sure you get in touch with your prof to figure out how to make up for it as well.
Old 11-01-2010 at 05:15 PM   #3
AztekEscobar

Liked: 2 Times

Hey thank you for the quick response, Do you know the procedure in doing so? I have never done this before.
Old 11-01-2010 at 05:21 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Start by speaking to your faculty administrators in their respective office (Engineering Office in JHE, Science in BSB?, Humanities in CNH?, etc). They should be able to direct you where you need to go. I've never done this myself, so I'm not sure if you go directly to the ombuds or whatever.
Old 11-02-2010 at 04:11 PM   #5
SC04

There's an online form you can find in the a to z index on the mcmaster website. It's called a mcmaster student absence form (I think), or msaf.
Old 11-02-2010 at 05:01 PM   #6
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

for the online form youre not required to get a doctors note. you can only use this online system twice/ semester. You need to just fill out the info online, tell what class its for and then it is submitted.
it is your responsibility to contact your prof and arrange the makeup etc.
Old 11-02-2010 at 06:00 PM   #7
SC04

You can actually use it more than twice, but if you do you may have to provide proof as to your illness/excuse for prior absences. That's why I recommended a doctor's note. You can't really know what possible future absences might happen...
Old 11-02-2010 at 06:09 PM   #8
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

there are two ways of doing it

The first way is to go to any local walk-in clinics on the day of the exam. Tell them your symptoms and ask them to fill out the medical note (you can get this from the BSB office). You have to pay $20 for the note.

The second way is to go to the schools emergency medical center located beside the health science building. You don't need to pay $20, but let me tell you that you might have to wait the WHOLE day (not kidding) to see the doc.
This is not for like actual emergency patients who have their hands cut off etc., because otherwise you'll end up dead while waiting before you see a doctor. I've been there cus i had food poisoning, and I recommend this only if you do not have $20 with you.

After you get the note, you submit it to your faculty office and it will be deffered