MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Business School Videos Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-01-2010 05:59 PM
Conflict Plagues The School Of Business Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-06-2010 04:23 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Ten: DeGroote School of Business jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 2 09-29-2009 05:29 PM

Degroote School of Business (2009)

Old 06-29-2009 at 01:49 AM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You can take more, I certainly did. I took Socio 1A06, Psych 1X03, and Geo 1HA3.
Yep, the other extra courses will go under your electives.

aya017 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 07:31 PM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

What does it take to fail a course?
I understand it's...possible to fail and below a 63% is considered too low I think?
I don't know.
But what I'm asking is....what study habits, patterns and things must a person do in order to receive that failing grade?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-15-2009 at 07:34 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
What does it take to fail a course?
I understand it's...possible to fail and below a 63% is considered too low I think?
I don't know.
But what I'm asking is....what study habits, patterns and things must a person do in order to receive that failing grade?
You want tips on how to fail courses?

Generally a combination of these helps towards that lovely goal:
Not going to class
Not studying
Not going to get help when you don't understand something
Not going to tutorials
Not having an interest in the class

etc.

But anything below a 50% aka a 0 out of 12 is a fail.
Old 07-15-2009 at 07:37 PM   #19
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You want tips on how to fail courses?

Generally a combination of these helps towards that lovely goal:
Not going to class
Not studying
Not going to get help when you don't understand something
Not going to tutorials
Not having an interest in the class

etc.

But anything below a 50% aka a 0 out of 12 is a fail.
When people only ask "What must I do to pass?" that doesn't always mean the answers they receive will be opposite what they must do to fail.

Is it easy to fail a course? Easier than high school?
(Let's say you were a diligent 85% (min. average this year) student in high school.)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-15-2009 at 07:41 PM   #20
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Commies ftw!!!

Matthew K likes this.
Old 07-15-2009 at 07:52 PM   #21
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
When people only ask "What must I do to pass?" that doesn't always mean the answers they receive will be opposite what they must do to fail.

(Let's say you were a diligent 85% (min. average this year) student in high school.)
Well, high school averages aren't the best way to identify whether someone will do well or not in university, but as far as 1st year business is concerned, it's not really that easy to fail a course. It's easy to do bad in a course if you don't put forward some effort, but as long as you are studying for your tests, getting help when you don't understand something, and attending lectures, you would be hard pressed to fail.
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:17 PM   #22
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Commies ftw!!!
HELL YEAH!
Old 07-16-2009 at 12:12 AM   #23
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Whenever we see the Health Sci students during Welcome Week, we should chant "IE SUCKS, IE SUCKS, IE SUCKS"

Jake likes this.
Old 07-16-2009 at 12:26 AM   #24
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Whenever we see the Health Sci students during Welcome Week, we should chant "IE SUCKS, IE SUCKS, IE SUCKS"
haha matt you're going start a faculty war
Old 07-16-2009 at 12:49 AM   #25
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Do you know what annoyed me? that International/Cross-Cultural/Language Menu.

Anthro 1A03 and Geo 1HA3 are both Business I requirements.
So are Psych 1X03 and Sociology 1A06

But only the first two count under that menu. Plus they can't overlap. So if you took at least 2 of those courses and Anthro and/or Geo is one of them, you'd be done one/both of the two courses needed in that menu.

GEO AND ANTHRO BOTH CONFLICTED WITH OTHER COURSES FOR ME LAST YEAR :(
I took Psych and Sociology. Sure I did well in them, but still it would've been nice if I didn't have to worry about that stupid menu in my upper years...

Quote:

...Questions like that are *really* hard to answer. It sounds like a cop-out, but really it depends on things like your work habits or ability to understand the material.
I know people who skipped practically every lecture and still ended with an A+, but that doesn't mean the course is so easy that other people can do it (likewise, some people who skipped practically every lecture got much lower than an A+).

As for the courses themselves, it depends. Some courses are more forgiving than others. Most first year courses shouldn't give you too much trouble (Both Econs and Psych 1X03 gave a *lot* of mark-boosting opportunities last year). Also sometimes it depends on the prof (my sociology prof last year did 2 midterms and 2 exams, while the othe prof from what I heard only had exams, which meant they had a higher weight)

goodnews.inc says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 05:30 PM   #26
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

It depends on what the course consists of. In my case, courses with essays are tougher for me because I am not good at writing. So I avoid them.

Most commerce courses are very easy, as long as you don't leave all the studying to the day before a test. And even if you do, you probably won't fail it.

As for electives, don't always take what you think is interesting ( I took art history and did bad in it because it was too tedieus but I love art)
So the year after I took Russian and got a 12 because I speak it, but it wasn't the most exciting class.
Good luck