MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Will my friend get kicked out? lolidunno Academics 16 07-25-2012 01:08 PM
I need a Spanish friend NatalyaOtaku General Discussion 18 08-07-2011 02:55 AM
I'm depressed. Stock General Discussion 46 02-10-2011 11:52 PM
would you like to be my friend? Moson Mo General Discussion 13 08-29-2010 02:07 PM

Depressed Friend

Old 12-31-2012 at 08:42 AM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Depressed Friend
So...I have a friend I think is depressed. A couple years younger than me, (becoming increasingly) very angry, irritable, withdrawing from friends and family, fights with almost everyone, doesn't take interest in anything but eating junk food sometimes, and spends all her time in front of the computer or, when it's taken away, brooding in front of a book. Two nights ago she ran away from home, but was found and brought back...
Looked up the signs of teenage depression and found parallels, but not sure what to do...? No money for psych evals or anything like that, and it's hard to get her to talk or away from the computer...
Old 12-31-2012 at 08:59 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Have her see a doctor and get a prescription to start with. Can't say much beyond that because I don't know but there are a number of free counselling services available dealing with psychology. Doubt she's a mac student or even lives in Hamilton, but you can get some ideas of things here: http://wellness.mcmaster.ca/counselling/group.html

OHIP covers a lot of individual and group counselling as well as psychotherapy and certainly initial certification of illness. The important thing is that you get your friend diagnosed as soon as possible before it worsens; try your best to talk to her and convince her at least to lay out her thoughts and symptoms with a GP (family doctor). This is important because if she's seen on a fairly regular basis, the GP will have a record of how things are progressing and will be more likely to help work things out. Most GPs initially give out prescriptions as a primary treatment if you can't find the right psychotherapy, and it took two different medications for me to find the right one for me in particular. Lastly, should you friend express any suicidal intentions, you are absolutely obligated to contact the police if you are unable to convince them to take a trip to the ER for their current state.

TheCrucible, Zebedee all say thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 12-31-2012 at 10:33 AM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Try free youth services.

You can also call kids help phone and get them to direct you to the right resources. Your friend may not want help so I suggest you ask about how to approach that.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2012 at 10:53 AM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
So...I have a friend I think is depressed. A couple years younger than me, (becoming increasingly) very angry, irritable, withdrawing from friends and family, fights with almost everyone, doesn't take interest in anything but eating junk food sometimes, and spends all her time in front of the computer or, when it's taken away, brooding in front of a book. Two nights ago she ran away from home, but was found and brought back...
Looked up the signs of teenage depression and found parallels, but not sure what to do...? No money for psych evals or anything like that, and it's hard to get her to talk or away from the computer...
Counselling would be a good start. I "would" recommend a family doctor and then a psychiatrist but honestly, all they often do is just try to shove pills down your throat. Not literally, they will just pressure you with the idea BIG TIME. But speaking from personal research and family/friend experience, medication is NOT the solution. I have struggled with depression all my life and I could list countless friends that have too. Yes, medication has helped some people, but there is so much risk involved. Often it's just a placebo effect, not even the actual drug. But those anti-depressants that these pharmaceutical companies make billions on, they have serious side effects. Such as MORE DEPRESSION and suicidal tendencies. You don't have to believe me but making that choice to commit to a life dependant upon medication that completely alters your brain activity is a serious thing. Suggest natural alternatives for your friend. It might be difficult at first, but developing a healthy eating habits, scheduling continuous exercise activities like running or swimming, and finding a creative outlet like music or drawing or poetry can really do wonders. When I am really depressed I try my best to play piano and go for 5K runs out in the country. It does help, but with depression it's really up to the person. Often they are the only one that can help themselves. But you can be there for support along the way. If she needs it, recommend therapy. There is nothing wrong with therapy. Each person's experience with it is different. Get her to check out a few councillors or therapy groups if she can. It takes time and patients, but most importantly a strong effort. Best of luck to your friend and if they ever need to talk to someone you/she can call Kids Help Phone as long as she is 20 or under: 1-800-668-6868. Cheers
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:04 AM   #5
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Different people respond to different things, but if this is a teenager then odds are she's feeling pretty cut off. I have lived with years of anxiety problems and I can tell you from my own experiences that nothing can help until she decides she's ready to seek out help, and that's a hard conversation to have with a friend. Running away from home, though, is clearly a cry for help so maybe (depending on how close you are to this person) just let her know that you're concerned, that you are always there for her if she needs anything. Offer to go with her to a clinic. Get her out of the house for something fun, sometimes even that simple act can help immensely. What's always helped me most (and this is from someone who's been through therapy, meditation, yoga and antidepressants) is the security that comes from having a support system that will catch me when I fall. It sounds cliche, but it's so, so important. You can't force help on a friend... so just offer it, and if she ever chooses to take you up on it, stick to your word and be there.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:54 AM   #6
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Counselling would be a good start. I "would" recommend a family doctor and then a psychiatrist but honestly, all they often do is just try to shove pills down your throat. Not literally, they will just pressure you with the idea BIG TIME. But speaking from personal research and family/friend experience, medication is NOT the solution. I have struggled with depression all my life and I could list countless friends that have too. Yes, medication has helped some people, but there is so much risk involved. Often it's just a placebo effect, not even the actual drug. But those anti-depressants that these pharmaceutical companies make billions on, they have serious side effects. Such as MORE DEPRESSION and suicidal tendencies. You don't have to believe me but making that choice to commit to a life dependant upon medication that completely alters your brain activity is a serious thing.
Although I understand the sentiment of this statement, we shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about antidepressants since there are so many factors to consider. For example, the severity of disease - antidepressants have been shown to be effective in patients with major depressive disorder, but not so much in patients with minor depression. Another factor is age - as you mentioned, antidepressants may actually cause suicidal behaviour in adolescents compared to adults. But when prescribing medication for adolescents, the doctors should know which antidepressants are not to be used. There are also different classes of antidepressants depending on what receptors they target, etc., and different classes tend to help different people.

Sometimes people can't recover without antidepressants, because there is actually something anatomically/physiologically wrong with the brain. In that case, psychotherapy won't help much at all. And just because you go on antidepressants doesn't necessarily mean you stay on them for the rest of your life.

In any case, the preferred course of action is a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressants for major depressive disorder, not necessarily one or the other. And of course, time and time again, doctors I've talked to always suggest exercise to enhance mood!

Back on topic: everyone has said it all already, but I would try to convince your friend to see her family doctor first of all. They'll be able to determine the severity of the depression, or whether or not it is depression at all, and will be able to help more than any of us can help here. I would also suggest getting her to see a counsellor, but I'm not really sure much $ that would cost outside Mac. And most importantly, stay by her side, and make sure she knows that she can come to you for help.

Last edited by TheCrucible : 12-31-2012 at 12:00 PM.

starfish likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 01:32 PM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
Although I understand the sentiment of this statement, we shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about antidepressants since there are so many factors to consider. For example, the severity of disease - antidepressants have been shown to be effective in patients with major depressive disorder, but not so much in patients with minor depression. Another factor is age - as you mentioned, antidepressants may actually cause suicidal behaviour in adolescents compared to adults. But when prescribing medication for adolescents, the doctors should know which antidepressants are not to be used. There are also different classes of antidepressants depending on what receptors they target, etc., and different classes tend to help different people.

Sometimes people can't recover without antidepressants, because there is actually something anatomically/physiologically wrong with the brain. In that case, psychotherapy won't help much at all. And just because you go on antidepressants doesn't necessarily mean you stay on them for the rest of your life.

In any case, the preferred course of action is a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressants for major depressive disorder, not necessarily one or the other. And of course, time and time again, doctors I've talked to always suggest exercise to enhance mood!

Back on topic: everyone has said it all already, but I would try to convince your friend to see her family doctor first of all. They'll be able to determine the severity of the depression, or whether or not it is depression at all, and will be able to help more than any of us can help here. I would also suggest getting her to see a counsellor, but I'm not really sure much $ that would cost outside Mac. And most importantly, stay by her side, and make sure she knows that she can come to you for help.
I do not completely disregard the idea of anti-depressants. However, I would highly advise that the person not jump on bored with the first medication the doctor prescribes. I have had doctors try to prescribe me various heavy drugs after one appointment that I never really needed and probably would have had considerable negative impacts on my life. And I know others who have taken the drugs prescribed right away and it has torn apart their lives. Before taking any medication you really have to take a deep look at yourself and say "do I really need this to survive". As you said, some cases are much more serious than others and it would be an easier decision. But most cases are not that severe. I speak for the many people close to me who have both made and not made the decisions to follow through with taking medication for their mental illness.
Old 12-31-2012 at 02:17 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I'm with Daniel on this one for sure..always do your own research.

Commie42 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:05 PM   #9
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
I do not completely disregard the idea of anti-depressants. However, I would highly advise that the person not jump on bored with the first medication the doctor prescribes. I have had doctors try to prescribe me various heavy drugs after one appointment that I never really needed and probably would have had considerable negative impacts on my life. And I know others who have taken the drugs prescribed right away and it has torn apart their lives. Before taking any medication you really have to take a deep look at yourself and say "do I really need this to survive". As you said, some cases are much more serious than others and it would be an easier decision. But most cases are not that severe. I speak for the many people close to me who have both made and not made the decisions to follow through with taking medication for their mental illness.
Your experiences are different from mine, I guess. In my case, I know people who would not be here today if not for antidepressants - which is why I have a problem with people painting them as evil and harmful, because it's going to be different for different people. And the doctors I've seen were very good about discussing the pros and cons before considering treatment. Anyone prescribed antidepressants should also be monitored closely for side-effects. If that isn't happening, then something's definitely wrong.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you've had doctors prescribe heavy medications after one appointment without even a referral to a psychiatrist. Not good.

fatcat, Kudos like this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:11 PM   #10
Kudos
Elite Member

Frankly, I don't think people who haven't been medicated for depression, anxiety or any other mental illness are qualified to comment on the usefulness of SSRIs.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:15 PM   #11
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Frankly, I don't think people who haven't been medicated for depression, anxiety or any other mental illness are qualified to comment on the usefulness of SSRIs.
And why not? The closest of people in my life are on medication for mental illness. I speak from experience living with them. Plus my own personal research. You don't need to be on them to comment on the subject.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:19 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
SSRIs aren't the only class of drugs that works.
Personally, SSRIs are horrible for me. I ended up hospitalized because of the side effects of a certain SSRI...which is actually the same drug my father takes. You would think that since we're related we would react similarly, but clearly not. Each person is different. I was able to find a different drug that works for me, and it isn't known to affect serotonin at all.

I think a person should just give it a try and see, as long as you are closely monitored and not going to be alone for extended periods of time...especially if the person is at risk of hurting themselves (or others).

Last edited by starfish : 12-31-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:39 PM   #13
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
And why not? The closest of people in my life are on medication for mental illness. I speak from experience living with them. Plus my own personal research. You don't need to be on them to comment on the subject.
Because your friends do not make up a representative sample. Because the things they tell you are biased. Because you have no idea what it really feels like to start these meds, what the side effects are like and what the true effect of them is like. Because you cannot possibly comprehend the good that they do for some of us, including those like myself who were on them and who have since stopped.

Honestly, attitudes like yours are what keep people from seeking help for their depression, and I know this because my best friend at the time thought the same way. She argued with me constantly about taking drugs to "mask my pain" and she made me feel worthless with all her holier-than-thou mind over matter crap for even needing the help. Needless to say, we no longer speak.

If you've never experienced mental issues that required meds and lack an M.D., spare the rest of us your judgment and realize that what helps one person hurts another, there are no perfect solutions and meds do help some people to the extent that their lives are saved. You have no right to speak for them.

fatcat likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 03:44 PM   #14
Kudos
Elite Member

I should add that medication isn't the right answer for everybody and I'm not saying we should be medicating people right away, but discounting the good it has done for so many people is ignorant.
Old 12-31-2012 at 04:33 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Because your friends do not make up a representative sample. Because the things they tell you are biased. Because you have no idea what it really feels like to start these meds, what the side effects are like and what the true effect of them is like. Because you cannot possibly comprehend the good that they do for some of us, including those like myself who were on them and who have since stopped.

Honestly, attitudes like yours are what keep people from seeking help for their depression, and I know this because my best friend at the time thought the same way. She argued with me constantly about taking drugs to "mask my pain" and she made me feel worthless with all her holier-than-thou mind over matter crap for even needing the help. Needless to say, we no longer speak.

If you've never experienced mental issues that required meds and lack an M.D., spare the rest of us your judgment and realize that what helps one person hurts another, there are no perfect solutions and meds do help some people to the extent that their lives are saved. You have no right to speak for them.
Just as a person's friends don't make up a representative sample, neither does your own personal experiences.

There is a very big difference between encouraging alternatives to medications and what you described from your friend. It seems like your friend doesn't recognize depression as a medical illness, which is very different from having an opinion regarding how to treat it.

Each person is different. Whether you have personally experienced mental health issues or not, or have an MD or not, is all irrelevant regarding whether or not you have the right to speak for another person. Other people's opinions are just as valid as yours on this topic, they're just coming from a different perspective and different experiences.