MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Will my friend get kicked out? lolidunno Academics 16 07-25-2012 01:08 PM
I need a Spanish friend NatalyaOtaku General Discussion 18 08-07-2011 02:55 AM
I'm depressed. Stock General Discussion 46 02-10-2011 11:52 PM
would you like to be my friend? Moson Mo General Discussion 13 08-29-2010 02:07 PM

Depressed Friend

Old 12-31-2012 at 04:36 PM   #16
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Because your friends do not make up a representative sample. Because the things they tell you are biased. Because you have no idea what it really feels like to start these meds, what the side effects are like and what the true effect of them is like. Because you cannot possibly comprehend the good that they do for some of us, including those like myself who were on them and who have since stopped.

Honestly, attitudes like yours are what keep people from seeking help for their depression, and I know this because my best friend at the time thought the same way. She argued with me constantly about taking drugs to "mask my pain" and she made me feel worthless with all her holier-than-thou mind over matter crap for even needing the help. Needless to say, we no longer speak.

If you've never experienced mental issues that required meds and lack an M.D., spare the rest of us your judgment and realize that what helps one person hurts another, there are no perfect solutions and meds do help some people to the extent that their lives are saved. You have no right to speak for them.
Listen, I'm not disregarding the idea of medication as a whole for mental illness. I'm saying its a decision that takes some serious thought. People close to me have taken their own lives (and others who have almost) because of the side effects of the medication and it not only ruined their lives but everyone around them. Clearly my group of friends are not necessarily representative of everyone. But there is substantial scientific evidence suggesting that anti-depressants and medications do more harm than good for a large amount of people. Fortunately, it worked for you. It did not for some of my friends and I have just as much say on the subject as anyone who has been affected by mental illness. I'm not spreading hate here. Just a message that people need to be critical in their decisions about medication. And if they chose to go through with it, and it works, I am very happy for them. I'm just saying we need to take some time to carefully research and think about things before taking the first prescription our doctor throws at us. Doctors are not angels.
Old 12-31-2012 at 04:40 PM   #17
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I agree that docs overprescribe, and I actually advise against meds as a first line of action in most scenarios (i.e. rest before inhaler for asthmatics...obviousl y, don't hold the atropine in MI). I would highly advise my friend against taking antidepressants just because I don't think she needs them...just...find something to do? Other than brood in front of the computer?
And actually getting her to the doctor or admitting she has a problem is very difficult in itself.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 04:44 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
I agree that docs overprescribe, and I actually advise against meds as a first line of action in most scenarios (i.e. rest before inhaler for asthmatics...obviousl y, don't hold the atropine in MI). I would highly advise my friend against taking antidepressants just because I don't think she needs them...just...find something to do? Other than brood in front of the computer?
And actually getting her to the doctor or admitting she has a problem is very difficult in itself.
Just because you don't think she needs them? And what exactly gives you the right to judge that? I think trying something is better than trying nothing, and it sends very bad messages to say "you should get help" and then when they finally go to a doctor and get a prescription, to say "you shouldn't do that". Being supportive of whatever treatment your friend decides to do is far more helpful. You can state your opinion but if they choose something else, it's their call and as their friend you should support them.

I agree with your last statement though...far easier said than done, and even if it happens, it's not going to solve the problem, it's only a first step.

fatcat, Zebedee like this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 04:56 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Listen, I'm not disregarding the idea of medication as a whole for mental illness. I'm saying its a decision that takes some serious thought. People close to me have taken their own lives (and others who have almost) because of the side effects of the medication and it not only ruined their lives but everyone around them. Clearly my group of friends are not necessarily representative of everyone. But there is substantial scientific evidence suggesting that anti-depressants and medications do more harm than good for a large amount of people. Fortunately, it worked for you. It did not for some of my friends and I have just as much say on the subject as anyone who has been affected by mental illness. I'm not spreading hate here. Just a message that people need to be critical in their decisions about medication. And if they chose to go through with it, and it works, I am very happy for them. I'm just saying we need to take some time to carefully research and think about things before taking the first prescription our doctor throws at us. Doctors are not angels.
You have no clue what you're talking about. Medication is prescribed on a first diagnosis purely based on the numbers (and the lack of medical care in Canada); it still remains to be shown that anti-depressants increase or decrease risk of suicide for the population at large. If the person who's getting the medication isn't being assesed for changes and doesn't have contact with the family so that those people can inform a healthcare professional, then your issue is right there. The idea is to try something, and if it doesn't work, increase the dose or try something else. Somebody being prescribed anything but the most basic SSRI for their first medication is usually fault of a bad doctor, not the medication. The doctor absolutely should be careful of prescribing SSRIs to teens or young adults because it has been demonstrated to increase the risk of suicidal behaviour for proportions of that subgroup of the population. If somebody offs themselves because of 10mg of citalophram, you're either in a situation where you have regular triggers, its already too late, or somebody's looking to blame pharmacology.

Out of those who are affected, positive or negative, I think you'll find that the population at large hugely benefits from mood medication... you hear about the failures, but the success stories are so gradual (happening over years) and usually attributed 100% to the person.

Have a happy new years.

Last edited by Leeoku : 12-31-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2012 at 05:25 PM   #20
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Not reading every1 else's comments and putting my input, I would try to sit down with them and just talk to them. Be open about it and understanding. Try to figure out the root of the problem. Don't try to pose instant solutions but pose possible suggestions. If possible, find ways to channel that energy into other tasks or find other activities to occupy the mind. The most important thing is to make sure you make yourself known to that person you are available to take and support their actions

Edit: please do not make personal attacks against users, just state opinions+facts

Last edited by Leeoku : 12-31-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 05:32 PM   #21
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You have no clue what you're talking about. Medication is prescribed on a first diagnosis purely based on the numbers (and the lack of medical care in Canada); it still remains to be shown that anti-depressants increase or decrease risk of suicide for the population at large. If the person who's getting the medication isn't being assesed for changes and doesn't have contact with the family so that those people can inform a healthcare professional, then your issue is right there. The idea is to try something, and if it doesn't work, increase the dose or try something else. Somebody being prescribed anything but the most basic SSRI for their first medication is usually fault of a bad doctor, not the medication. The doctor absolutely should be careful of prescribing SSRIs to teens or young adults because it has been demonstrated to increase the risk of suicidal behaviour for proportions of that subgroup of the population. If somebody offs themselves because of 10mg of citalophram, you're either in a situation where you have regular triggers, its already too late, or somebody's looking to blame pharmacology.

Out of those who are affected, positive or negative, I think you'll find that the population at large hugely benefits from mood medication... you hear about the failures, but the success stories are so gradual (happening over years) and usually attributed 100% to the person.

Anyways I would have killed myself last month if not for my new medication, so fuck you and your anecdotes.

Have a happy new years.
Clearly you do not understand my intentions. Like I said, I'm not necessarily saying people shouldn't take medication, I am only saying we should take time to think about these things and not make a rash decision. Seriously, there is no need for personal attacks... I have dealt with mental health issues heavily in my life and you don't know me. Don't be so hateful.
Old 12-31-2012 at 10:22 PM   #22
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

While debating the effectiveness of different types of treatment options for mental illnesses, please refrain from arguments. They stray off topic in the present thread and do not necessarily provide the OP with assistance for their particular question.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Zebedee says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

Commie42, Zebedee like this.
Old 01-01-2013 at 09:27 AM   #23
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Clearly you do not understand my intentions. Like I said, I'm not necessarily saying people shouldn't take medication, I am only saying we should take time to think about these things and not make a rash decision. Seriously, there is no need for personal attacks... I have dealt with mental health issues heavily in my life and you don't know me. Don't be so hateful.
Sorry, I didn't mean to explode, it's just that I got into an argument about this with somebody before and it did not end well and I attributed some of that negativity to you. Might have started the celebrations early when I wrote that too Either way, there was only one slightly negative/hate sentence in that entire post, guess it's easier to write off what somebody is saying, exaggerating offense instead of actually providing a meaningful response.
You didn't say people shouldn't take medication, but you implicitly stated that it shouldn't be used because of its incidental effects and the downhill slide that some people you know took.

It also really irks a lot of us when we are suggested to try 'natural alternatives' as if playing a piano or diddling around in nature is going to reset the chemical balance in our brain or stomp out of negative schema.

I try not to refrain from going off topic, especially about this, because the question is largely answered, but I understand a lot of these posts add unnecessary clutter for the OP, who still may need help. But then again, mental illness is the elephant in the room, and I guess as long as we're not doing a feel good campaign about it, who cares about discussing it right?

Regarding the topic: your friend's problem is most likely the fact that she isn't going out and really doing something engaging or what she enjoys. Medication isn't main the solution, but it may help her get out of her rutt so she can get some positive reinforcement elsewhere. Teen depression is more likely related to social issues or regarded to purpose and fitting in than it is to neurochemicals, but giving a boost is sometimes just what you need.. just like downing a shot of Redbull to study for your last exam...

You're not her parent though(?), so its not up to you to take care of her as lots of people have problems.. most of which they don't want others intruding in on. Like somebody said, you need to want to get better. The best thing you can do is talk to her about it, take her out or something if that's possible, but the most effective thing to do is to try to let her parents know.

fatcat likes this.
Old 01-01-2013 at 12:14 PM   #24
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to explode, it's just that I got into an argument about this with somebody before and it did not end well and I attributed some of that negativity to you. Might have started the celebrations early when I wrote that too Either way, there was only one slightly negative/hate sentence in that entire post, guess it's easier to write off what somebody is saying, exaggerating offense instead of actually providing a meaningful response.
You didn't say people shouldn't take medication, but you implicitly stated that it shouldn't be used because of its incidental effects and the downhill slide that some people you know took.

It also really irks a lot of us when we are suggested to try 'natural alternatives' as if playing a piano or diddling around in nature is going to reset the chemical balance in our brain or stomp out of negative schema.

I try not to refrain from going off topic, especially about this, because the question is largely answered, but I understand a lot of these posts add unnecessary clutter for the OP, who still may need help. But then again, mental illness is the elephant in the room, and I guess as long as we're not doing a feel good campaign about it, who cares about discussing it right?

Regarding the topic: your friend's problem is most likely the fact that she isn't going out and really doing something engaging or what she enjoys. Medication isn't main the solution, but it may help her get out of her rutt so she can get some positive reinforcement elsewhere. Teen depression is more likely related to social issues or regarded to purpose and fitting in than it is to neurochemicals, but giving a boost is sometimes just what you need.. just like downing a shot of Redbull to study for your last exam...

You're not her parent though(?), so its not up to you to take care of her as lots of people have problems.. most of which they don't want others intruding in on. Like somebody said, you need to want to get better. The best thing you can do is talk to her about it, take her out or something if that's possible, but the most effective thing to do is to try to let her parents know.
This. All of it.
Old 01-01-2013 at 06:13 PM   #25
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Quote:
You're not her parent though(?), so its not up to you to take care of her as lots of people have problems..
Heh, heh...not exactly...more like older sibling...but she is a good friend...
Old 01-01-2013 at 08:58 PM   #26
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

In cases such as this there are a lot of factors that come into play.
It is greatly influenced by age, and women her age are at a VERY vulnerable point right now. I have seen this in my family with my elder sister.
I know that our family tackled the problem by always MAKING her FEEL that she is NOT ALONE!
If its a guy because of whom she is going through this, then make her realize that she can get a WAY BETTER guy than that.
When I was at that same age, I had similar feelings, of loneliness and finding a way out, but as a friend it is YOUR and HER FAMILY'S responsibility to make her not feel alone(keep talking to her, even if its small talk; crack jokes around her, if she doesn't laugh, don't give up coz she eventually will!).
BTW hats off yo, not a lot of people go the distance you are going to help a friend in her time of need, I know I could certainly have used a friend like you during my time
Kudos,

Abhi

Zebedee says thanks to Abhimint for this post.
Old 01-01-2013 at 10:25 PM   #27
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Hello, I volunteer at the office for mental and physical disabilities at Mac. I can get you in touch with the professionals who deal with this on a daily basis, and all the different services, accommodations available for your friend.

I don't feel comfortable discussing anything on here because it's a controversial topic and will likely lead to arguing, which is counterproductive for your friend.

Please email me at [email protected] and I will be more than likely to help.

I would also like to thank you on your friend's behalf. It's people like you who speak out and seek help to prevent further harm due to this debilitating disease.

Cheers

Zebedee likes this.