MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you pick up your osap do you get all the amount including QEII scholarship? memyselfandi Financial Aid 6 08-24-2010 10:53 AM
Collecting OSAP + QEII Vaidawg Financial Aid 3 08-19-2010 11:03 AM
QEII Renewal? Fa11enAnge1 Financial Aid 12 05-30-2010 10:42 PM
Question in regards to QEII Sohaibb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-30-2008 12:17 AM
Do Scholarships and QEII reduce your OSAP? aviaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-29-2008 07:54 PM

Did I get QEII or not? :S

Old 08-25-2010 at 12:12 PM   #1
olive

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Did I get QEII or not? :S
Okay, so on my osap it says that i got 0$ for QEII. But, when i go to see my osap via musgi, and i scroll down to "other gov assistance programs" it says

YEAR 2010
APP. DATE 2010-08-19
GOVERNMENT PROGRAM AIM FOR THE TOP SCHOLARSHIP
AMOUNT $ 3500.00
PAYMENTDATE 2010-08-20
ACCOUNT CREDITED(F) OR CHEQUE ISSUED(C) F

So yeah, i'm a bit confused. Also, if i did get this, is it renewable? If so how difficult is it to maintasin the grade needed to renew?
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:17 PM   #2
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

I'm in the same boat, I'd like to know as well. I'm thinking it means you will receive the money; the $0 just means you haven't gotten it yet. Cause if you click on the 2010-2011 link beside the $0, it'll show you the same amount as MUGSI.

EDIT: You need a 9.5 (aka 80%) to renew QEII. But they have some sort of probational period to give you a second chance if you don't get your mark high enough, I think. Don't take my word on it though, cause I only heard it mentioned in passing.
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:25 PM   #3
olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to know as well. I'm thinking it means you will receive the money; the $0 just means you haven't gotten it yet. Cause if you click on the 2010-2011 link beside the $0, it'll show you the same amount as MUGSI.

EDIT: You need a 9.5 (aka 80%) to renew QEII. But they have some sort of probational period to give you a second chance if you don't get your mark high enough, I think. Don't take my word on it though, cause I only heard it mentioned in passing.

I mean the money is showing up in my payment agreement, so as long as i have the money, osap can say whatever they like, i don't really care. I'm going to call this afternoon as soon as student accounts and cashiers opens up again at 130pm. I'll let you know!

Did you also get the full 3500?

Edit: yeah if its showing up in your payment agreement then you have that money!

Last edited by olive : 08-25-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:34 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It's not directly related to QEII but the majority of students failed to renew their entrance scholarship (When it existed a couple years ago). The average to renew was the same 9.5.

Just to emphasize, the entrance scholarship is no long renewable. I was just using it as an example.

Also, I think the percentage that renewed their entrance scholarship in my year (2008-2009) was around 20-25%.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:11 PM   #5
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I mean the money is showing up in my payment agreement, so as long as i have the money, osap can say whatever they like, i don't really care. I'm going to call this afternoon as soon as student accounts and cashiers opens up again at 130pm. I'll let you know!

Did you also get the full 3500?

Edit: yeah if its showing up in your payment agreement then you have that money!
Nope, I got about $3000. Still not complaining at all though.

It's weird, cause my sister went to Waterloo and got only $100 from QEII. I realize being the second dependent in university sometimes entitles me to more, but THAT much more? Wicked.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:14 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Nope, I got about $3000. Still not complaining at all though.

It's weird, cause my sister went to Waterloo and got only $100 from QEII. I realize being the second dependent in university sometimes entitles me to more, but THAT much more? Wicked.
The first sibling usually doesn't get as much because their financial aid isn't as high. Because the younger sibling is not in university yet, the parents are only supporting 1 child in university. Once both get into university, the younger sibling requires more financial aid because now the parents have to pay for 2 children in university.

But the QEII scholarship can't be reassessed, only renewed. So the initial 100$ can't be increased. When your sister graduates, your 3000$ can't be reduced. As long as you keep a 9.5 average then you get 3000$, even if you don't qualify for OSAP anymore.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:15 PM   #7
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It's not directly related to QEII but the majority of students failed to renew their entrance scholarship (When it existed a couple years ago). The average to renew was the same 9.5.

Just to emphasize, the entrance scholarship is no long renewable. I was just using it as an example.

Also, I think the percentage that renewed their entrance scholarship in my year (2008-2009) was around 20-25%.
I know :(

I worked so hard to get my 90.33%, lol. Damned English and History held me down; I've never hated a mark in the 80s until this year, since my teachers are insanely hard markers. I really would have wanted that money every year.

Why'd they change it? 'Cause they're short on money now?
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:37 PM   #8
Theashe

Quote:
The first sibling usually doesn't get as much because their financial aid isn't as high. Because the younger sibling is not in university yet, the parents are only supporting 1 child in university. Once both get into university, the younger sibling requires more financial aid because now the parents have to pay for 2 children in university.

But the QEII scholarship can't be reassessed, only renewed. So the initial 100$ can't be increased. When your sister graduates, your 3000$ can't be reduced. As long as you keep a 9.5 average then you get 3000$, even if you don't qualify for OSAP anymore.
Lol, well my parents aren't paying for my school anyway. I've been saving since grade 9 because I have to pay by myself and I want to minimize my debt. I can afford two years (almost three now because of scholarships) without borrowing any money. And that's assuming I make no money in that time.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:42 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I know :(

I worked so hard to get my 90.33%, lol. Damned English and History held me down; I've never hated a mark in the 80s until this year, since my teachers are insanely hard markers. I really would have wanted that money every year.

Why'd they change it? 'Cause they're short on money now?
Definitively, McMaster has been trying to get out of their debt for many years and they have been doing a pretty good job until recently. So they have to cut costs everywhere.

Quote:
Lol, well my parents aren't paying for my school anyway. I've been saving since grade 9 because I have to pay by myself and I want to minimize my debt. I can afford two years (almost three now because of scholarships) without borrowing any money. And that's assuming I make no money in that time.
Even if your parents aren't paying they still take their income into account for the first 4 years you spend out of high school. It's a horrible generalization that the government makes because not all students have support from their parents and for those students it makes it very hard for them to study and pay for school at the same time.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:29 PM   #10
Theashe

Quote:
Definitively, McMaster has been trying to get out of their debt for many years and they have been doing a pretty good job until recently. So they have to cut costs everywhere.

Even if your parents aren't paying they still take their income into account for the first 4 years you spend out of high school. It's a horrible generalization that the government makes because not all students have support from their parents and for those students it makes it very hard for them to study and pay for school at the same time.
I can see why the government makes that generalization though, since some students are entirely paid for by their parents because their parents make so much. And if they had a criteria to ask "How much money are your parents contributing to your education?" you could easily lie, and where's the proof to say otherwise?

In my case my parents do make an upper middle income together, which is why my sister got like no money from OSAP. Thank god I'm the second in the family, I got quite a bit more loan and grant.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:38 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I can see why the government makes that generalization though, since some students are entirely paid for by their parents because their parents make so much. And if they had a criteria to ask "How much money are your parents contributing to your education?" you could easily lie, and where's the proof to say otherwise?

In my case my parents do make an upper middle income together, which is why my sister got like no money from OSAP. Thank god I'm the second in the family, I got quite a bit more loan and grant.
That's true, also generalizing means that they don't have to give people so much money. Due the the fact that you can't have a bigger loan than 7200 per year for full time studies, everyone above that amount would be getting free money which would be very bad for the government.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:44 PM   #12
olive

Does anyone know where i can send a thank you letter? and to whom to adress it? I know it might sound weird sending a thank you for this. but there has to be someone in charge of this that would appreciate me thanking then for the quite substantial amount of money i was just given....
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:50 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Does anyone know where i can send a thank you letter? and to whom to adress it? I know it might sound weird sending a thank you for this. but there has to be someone in charge of this that would appreciate me thanking then for the quite substantial amount of money i was just given....
That's a good question, but I don't think any company, institution or person actually funds the scholarship. There are no sponsors listed in the OSAP website, so it's safe to assume it's the government that supplies the money for the scholarship.

So if you really want to send a thank you letter, then sending it to OSAP would probably be the best thing to do. Plus, if I'm wrong then they might possibly forward it to the identities that sponsor the scholarship.