MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harper struggles for a "Fox News North" Shmowen Movies & Television 15 09-04-2010 08:01 PM
Why I am happy I voted for Harper, and not Obama. deadpool General Discussion 26 02-16-2009 06:18 PM

What did Harper do?

Old 04-15-2011 at 03:34 PM   #16
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
It's funny that in university, people make groups to go vote. It's almost like a collective mind. Then once out of university, it's like they can't make a decision on their own. There is a huge influence factor and it's a worrying trend. It's almost like another form of peer pressure. Please, do your own research and vote responsibly. This is what true democracy is.
This is exactly why I am so frustrated with this election. We have so much information available online, but if people don't seek out information from different sources before they make a decision on who to vote for, they're not doing any good by voting. I have so many people on facebook with one crazy status update after another regarding who people should vote for. If students like these are the ones organizaing these voting stations or get togethers then we have a problem because it alienates people with opposing views and sometimes even pressures people to vote for certain parties becaue they dont know enough to decide or feel guilt for holding certain preferances. I'm not saying I'm a Harper fan, but the amount of anti Harper articles and facebook status updates I've seen is just too much. It really discourages those who may support him but don't because everyone else around them is saying he is a monster. I have actually started telling people I'll vote for Harper just to see their reactions and so far everyone started arguing and totally discouraged it to the point where they get hostile. Anyways, do your own reserach, and use multiple sources.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:48 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
This is exactly why I am so frustrated with this election. We have so much information available online, but if people don't seek out information from different sources before they make a decision on who to vote for, they're not doing any good by voting. I have so many people on facebook with one crazy status update after another regarding who people should vote for. If students like these are the ones organizaing these voting stations or get togethers then we have a problem because it alienates people with opposing views and sometimes even pressures people to vote for certain parties becaue they dont know enough to decide or feel guilt for holding certain preferances. I'm not saying I'm a Harper fan, but the amount of anti Harper articles and facebook status updates I've seen is just too much. It really discourages those who may support him but don't because everyone else around them is saying he is a monster. I have actually started telling people I'll vote for Harper just to see their reactions and so far everyone started arguing and totally discouraged it to the point where they get hostile. Anyways, do your own reserach, and use multiple sources.
It doesn't matter what the platform is, or past performance of a PM/party, people just like to hate on the person who is currently in charge... a scape goat, so to speak, to make up for the fact that people are too lazy to actually understand the issues and make up their mind on what best suits the country...
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:00 PM   #18
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Every politician has done something that some people don't agree with. They are human-they make mistakes. get over it. focus on what they will do for the future. Stop lingering on the past.
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:05 PM   #19
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

Those types of voting stations are not allowed on university campuses anymore. Elections Canada admitted that stations were not set up properly and thats why we won't be seeing any more voting stations on campuses. So Harper has every right to ask for those votes to be thrown out. Im not sure why students are so lazy they can't take a bus to the local voting station. Students need to get out of the school bubble and into the community.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../18008691.html

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:32 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Those types of voting stations are not allowed on university campuses anymore. Elections Canada admitted that stations were not set up properly and thats why we won't be seeing any more voting stations on campuses. So Harper has every right to ask for those votes to be thrown out. Im not sure why students are so lazy they can't take a bus to the local voting station. Students need to get out of the school bubble and into the community.

My issue is less with whether or not the voting station was set up properly, and more about people working for the Conservatives yelling at students and attempting to take the ballot box. There are other ways to go about this kind of issue besides trying to steal ballot boxes.

Old 04-15-2011 at 05:53 PM   #21
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
My issue is less with whether or not the voting station was set up properly, and more about people working for the Conservatives yelling at students and attempting to take the ballot box. There are other ways to go about this kind of issue besides trying to steal ballot boxes.
While that was extreme, at the same time the reason there was a problem was because they knew the voting stations were not set up properly. If I was running a campaign and that happened I would be pissed, because an incident like this spoils the votes. But I wasn't there so I don't know what actually happened, it's election time... people will lie to make the opposition look bad no matter what. But I hope in this case the students didn't make up the story.
Old 04-15-2011 at 07:50 PM   #22
Misspolitics

What happened in Guelph is a major breach of voter confidence. From what I read about both the Guelph incident and what is proper for election booths/stations, there are major errors in how it was set up. There shouldn't have been a voting station in the University in the first place. There is supposed to be no political representation/affiliation in the polling area, or even on a sweater/shirt that you may be wearing. Apparently, this was not the case. The votes should not be counted as the result of this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 07:55 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:

I agree on the laziness, but it's really not reason to invalidate the vote.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx...dir=pre&lang=e

While the initiative at the University of Guelph was not pre-authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer, the Canada Elections Act provides that electors may apply for and vote by special ballot. A special ballot coordinator, appointed by the local returning officer, oversaw the activities at the University of Guelph. All information at our disposal indicates that the votes were cast in a manner that respects the Canada Elections Act and are valid.

Old 04-16-2011 at 12:57 AM   #24
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
I am so tired of this election....All I keep hearing is vote Liberal....vote NDP...JUST DONT VOTE HARPER! What kind of democracy is this? People need to realize that everyone will increase your taxs and everyone will spend money on military. Thats how things work Get used to it. And stop thinking you need to know everything government does...the government has been lying to people for many years lol. Thats how it is, you don't matter that much.

Also why is all the hipsters that hate Harper? Is he too clean for you? Have you ever seen a clean looking person say something against Harper. I haven't.

Vote Harper If you want to protect whats Canadian.

Vote Libeal a NDP if you want to pay more taxes to social welfare and illegal immigrants....oh and if you want criminals to walk freely down your street
My vote will negate your vote.
Old 04-16-2011 at 06:46 AM   #25
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
My vote will negate your vote.
And my vote will reinforce yours...? Checkmate, Mr. Harper.

noor91, Watoko like this.
Old 04-16-2011 at 07:46 AM   #26
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Rofl, jo and Misspolitics back at it again, running Conservative campaigns that say "Ignore the past! Look at what your government can do for you in the future". And yet if you promote Liberals over Conservative, all they'll tell you is what the Liberals of 7 years ago did that got them kicked out (they did this in another thread...).

I'll tell you what the Conservatives of today, yesterday, and the past 7 years have been doing that landed them yet another non-confidence vote by the majority of the voted members of Parliament.

You two have not been able to defend a large majority of the Conservative actions: You deflect those facts onto other items, and hypocritically justify them (namely: Other parties did it in the past!), so I won't be listing them.

OH! but I thought this would prove some excessive hypocrisy:

Quote:
Every politician has done something that some people don't agree with. They are human-they make mistakes. get over it. focus on what they will do for the future. Stop lingering on the past.
Quote:
Did I actually say "This is not relevant"? in mentioning this topic? Now you're making stuff up, and I guess I can't be surprised...:rolleyes : I know how the liberal sponsorship scandal went down. Over 100 million went out.
Quote:
I find it funny you didn't mention the waste in the system, or the fact that Canada was in a miserable state in the 70's that was caused by the liberals. Also, what about our nation sending our troops to Afghanistan in forest camo and without ammunition to protect themselves under the martin government? It's not just the federal liberals. Look at e-health, "smart meters", HST, etc. this is long term liberals that you keep on mentioning. Ontario is now a have-not province because of long term liberals.

Last edited by mike_302 : 04-16-2011 at 07:55 AM.

BlakeM says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 04-16-2011 at 07:50 AM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Rofl, jo and Misspolitics back at it again, running Conservative campaigns that say "Ignore the past! Look at what your government can do for you in the future". And yet if you promote Liberals over Conservative, all they'll tell you is what the Liberals of 7 years ago did that got them kicked out (they did this in another thread...).

I'll tell you what the Conservatives of today, yesterday, and the past 7 years have been doing that landed them yet another non-confidence vote by the majority of the voted members of Parliament.

You two have not been able to defend a large majority of the Conservative actions: You deflect those facts onto other items, and hypocritically justify them (namely: Other parties did it in the past!), so I won't be listing them.
Were those underlined words supposed to be links?
Old 04-16-2011 at 08:33 AM   #28
mike_302
Elite Member

nope. Although I could, but I don't feel like reading posts by those two that don't actually have any substance regarding the content of those links. I just felt like emphasizing points.
Old 04-16-2011 at 09:20 AM   #29
Misspolitics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
And yet if you promote Liberals over Conservative, all they'll tell you is what the Liberals of 7 years ago did that got them kicked out (they did this in another thread...).

At least I answer back in other threads. It's funny that in the other thread:

Originally Posted by Misspolitics
I find it funny you didn't mention the waste in the system, or the fact that Canada was in a miserable state in the 70's that was caused by the liberals. Also, what about our nation sending our troops to Afghanistan in forest camo and without ammunition to protect themselves under the martin government? It's not just the federal liberals. Look at e-health, "smart meters", HST, etc. this is long term liberals that you keep on mentioning. Ontario is now a have-not province because of long term liberals.

Posted by Mike_302
I`m finished responding to your posts. You`re not capturing the points of previous messages which completely make your rebuttals seem pointless. In particular, with respect to this post, I have said time and time again that the Liberal have restructured. It`s not 1970, nor is it 1980, 1990, or 2000... You`re arguing that the Liberals had a bit of a poor run in the `70s, or nearly a decade ago because you quickly read a single article about Harper`s argument against Trudeau (who`s dead, btw, Mr. Harper).

I`m not pointing out the obvious anymore. You figure it out.

You see how you can't defend numerous actions taken by liberals. However, the only thing I forgot to mention is when the Liberal government of the early 90s cancelling the replacement of the "Sea King" helicopters, which are still in service today. some of them are over 60 years old. This cancelling cost the government money because they broke the contract. and we, as Canadians have nothing to show for it. So please, before you "lol" about this thread,please answer the above quote from the previous thread. The only reason you were upset about the last thread was because there are too many examples of how liberal governments have failed us.
Old 04-16-2011 at 09:25 AM   #30
mike_302
Elite Member

THE REASON I STOPPED ANSWERING: As was clearly stated in my post, is because you COMPLETELY and blatantly ignored EVERY point I made, and you have the absolute most baseless, or poorest evidence in response. Or else you haven't developed critical thinking skills.

AND again! You deflect from my point and try to shove it elsewhere (ironically enough, you reference your argument about the liberals from the past when you have already been criticized for your hypocrisy regarding this.). I've already [email protected]#$ing responded to the post you quoted, and you're bringing it up for a 3rd time. Get real about this.

And Thank You for proving my point with your statement "At least I {insert what you do or don't do, here}". That's exactly what I mean by deflecting. Most of us formulated arguments like that in elementary school.

Last edited by mike_302 : 04-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.