MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any feedback on any of these teachers? anonanon987 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 43 07-30-2011 10:15 PM
French 1A06 Teachers BonnieH Academics 6 06-21-2011 10:37 AM
Teachers' College Anyone? Ivan Q. Academics 12 03-06-2010 12:35 AM
Tutorials with Different Teachers MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 06-30-2009 08:29 AM
teachers naimaa Academics 4 08-07-2007 03:44 PM

Different exams from different teachers?

Old 08-08-2011 at 06:09 PM   #1
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

Different exams from different teachers?
Here's the deal I've heard Childs is an awesome prof but I dont have him. I have Mc Lean for 1ZB3 and it's at the exact same time as Childs lectures. So here's my question do I have to change my class in solar or if I wanted to go to Child's lectures could I just show up to his instead? How would exams work in the second case, does each prof use the exact same exam and tests or does each teacher use different stuff, in which case would it be better to go Mc Leans and take his tests or go to childs and take Mc Leans exam and tests?
Old 08-08-2011 at 06:22 PM   #2
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Childs makes the 1ZB3 tests (He is the coordinator). Be thankful McLean isn't writing them.

Be very thankful.

Oh, and try to switch into Childs' class. He's a boss.
Old 08-08-2011 at 06:22 PM   #3
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Exams are by course, not by class. Every first year eng student in 1ZA3 (with the exception of those who write through CSD/are sick) will write the exam on the same night. Rooms assigned will be sorted by name or student number or something, so it doesn't matter what core you have.

Technically, you can just show up to Childs' lectures, but you should try and get a spot on SOLAR first. That being said, Childs' classes are almost always full, to the point that so many people hear good things about him that they'll show up to his classes anyway, like you're considering. The thing is though, because everyone thinks they love Childs, his lectures actually leave some students without seats if they show up too late. It'd be fine if it was the people who aren't in the class were losing their spots, but I know people who are actually in the class who had to chill at the back because other people are taking their spots.

For every other course, that strategy is pretty much OK. But for ones that have blatantly popular profs (i.e. Childs for math(s), Zurob for materials, etc.) lectures can overfill and it really sucks if you're the one losing your spot to someone who's not supposed to be there. Just consider it before you start showing up, or (hopefully) be prepared to leave if someone else needs a spot.
Old 08-08-2011 at 06:28 PM   #4
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Exams are by course, not by class. Every first year eng student in 1ZA3 (with the exception of those who write through CSD/are sick) will write the exam on the same night. Rooms assigned will be sorted by name or student number or something, so it doesn't matter what core you have.
I dont know about specific programs but I know this is not true for every program. For example. In first year I took Sociology 1A06. There were 2 different lecturers for this program. I knew some friends who had one of the lecturers and I of course had the other one. Both of the lecturers taught VERY differently. They both had their own information they taught, in their own way and when it came to exams the exams were TOTALLY different, based on what the lecturer taught. Be careful if you chose to do this because it would really suck going into one professors exam knowing only what the other professor taught.