MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Med Rad Sciences! dlee Introduce Yourself 108 09-11-2010 09:19 AM
Actuarial Sciences jennisr Academics 0 09-09-2010 08:21 PM
Social Sciences KBrunson First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-31-2010 02:14 PM
Health Sciences vs. Arts and Sciences - advice anyone? ktc11 Academics 3 05-19-2010 08:47 PM

Different sciences?

Old 08-19-2010 at 12:27 PM   #1
SHWEDDIES

Liked: 3 Times

Different sciences?
What is the difference between physical, biological and life science course? Would you also be able to give a few examples?
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:37 PM   #2
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

physical sciences = physics and chemistry
biological sciences = organic chemistry and biology
life sciences = biology and life
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:38 PM   #3
amyshi

Physical science is what people consider the "hard sciences", not hard as in hard vs easy, but hard as in hard vs soft. Anyways, examples are chemistry, physics and math.

Biological, self-explanatory.

Life sciences is pretty much everything. haha
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:17 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Physical science includes chemistry and physics.
Biological science includes biochem, biology, etc
Life sciences include biological sciences and environmental sciences.

There is some overlap...for example, biophysics is primarily a physical science but deals with aspects from biological science. Chemical biology and medical physics are other examples of interdisciplinary sciences--both of those programs are listed under 'physical sciences', but they definitely incorporate biological sciences as well. To quote one of my high school chem teachers: "All biology is chemistry, all chemistry is physics, and all physics is math, so it's really all just math anyways"...it's a bit of a reductionist perspective, but there is some truth to it

Quote:
biological sciences = organic chemistry and biology

I would disagree...I don't think orgo falls under the 'biological sciences' category. It is chemistry and therefore falls under 'physical sciences', although it does have relevance to biological sciences.

Old 08-19-2010 at 02:22 PM   #5
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Some school also consider geology a physical science.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:41 PM   #6
jordan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

I would disagree...I don't think orgo falls under the 'biological sciences' category. It is chemistry and therefore falls under 'physical sciences', although it does have relevance to biological sciences.

False.

Organic chemistry = organic molecules = molecules of life = hence bio

If this wasn't such then the biological sciences for the MCAT wouldn't include organic chemistry.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:46 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
False.

If this wasn't such then the biological sciences for the MCAT wouldn't include organic chemistry.
If you look at your equality, you say "Organic chemistry = bio" (by taking the first and last parts of the equality). Organic chemistry is CHEMISTRY, which is a physical science. If you had read the other part of my earlier post, I said that "all biology is chemistry", which means that in order to truly understand biology (or biological sciences) you must look at the physical science aspect of it (ie, chemistry--not just organic chemistry, but physical chemistry as well). That is where the overlap in disciplines comes in, and probably why it's under the 'biological science' section of the MCAT--because they want you to know organic chemistry as it pertains to biological systems. You can study pure organic chemistry without it having anything to do with biological systems, though.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:52 PM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

and math's chillin' by itself, too concerned with its own problems to wonder about what parts of it are science and what parts aren't...

macsci, nerual like this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:11 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
False.

Organic chemistry isn't biology... Organic Chemistry is chemistry that involves the carbon atom. It does contain biology since life on earth is carbon based, but it does not mean that all chemistry that involves the carbon atom involves life.

Kind of confusing but it's the same thing as saying. All dogs are animals, but not all animals are dogs. dogs being life and animals being carbon-based chemistry.

That's why organic chemistry falls under the physical science and not under biological science.

nerual likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:21 PM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Well, biology is applied chemistry...

Old 08-19-2010 at 03:24 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Well, biology is applied chemistry...
Isn't there a joke about that where it goes on pretty far?
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:33 PM   #12
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Isn't there a joke about that where it goes on pretty far?
Haha, yep:

I have to admit, I did have this in mind when I brought up the bio / chemistry bit

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-19-2010 at 03:35 PM.

feonateresa, jhan523, macsci like this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:36 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Haha, yep:

I have to admit, I did have this in mind when I brought up the bio / chemistry bit, haha
haha yes!!! Love it...that definitely works with what I wrote before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual
"All biology is chemistry, all chemistry is physics, and all physics is math, so it's really all just math anyways"

Gotta love math

Mahratta likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 06:09 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Life science includes biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, life sciences
Physical sciences: Physics & Chemistry and any derivatives. I.e. Chemical Biology is chemistry based, and a physical science. Biochemistry is more bio based; it is a life science or a biological science.

They should really stop referring to "life" and "biological" sciences as two separate things - biology is the study of life.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-19-2010 at 08:55 PM   #15
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

so just to be clear - organic chemistry is a PHYSICAL science . Which is good cuz i dont wanna do it and i contacted a future employer n they said u need a strong biological science background