MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
food on-campus Jesse.C General Discussion 14 10-07-2013 05:35 PM
Food on Campus - Food restrictions..? Afsha-noon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-02-2012 04:30 PM
Dining Off Campus Chad Food & Meal Plans 4 04-06-2008 01:34 PM

Dining Halls/Campus Food

Old 05-07-2014 at 06:59 PM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Dining Halls/Campus Food
Does McMaster have dining halls in their residences or a central dining hall? I came on a tour and it looked like there were mini "restaurants" everywhere.
I know campus food in general at any university isn't the most healthy food, but would you say the food at Mac is relatively healthy?
Old 05-07-2014 at 07:31 PM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

There are different places for people with different diets, but I think the place you're referring to as having "mini restaurants" is the student centre. It has a Tims, Teryiaki, Booster Juice, Union Market (sort of like a convenience store), and La Piazza.

There's also Centro, Bistro, Mini Mac, 1280, Phoenix, Mo Mac, Willy Dog (I may be missing a few)

lisar96 says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.
Old 05-07-2014 at 08:02 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I remember when I joined mcmaster was ranked pretty high in terms of choice/healthiness. There aren't "halls" but three larger areas for food called Centro/Commons, Bistro and La Piazza.

lisar96 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:24 PM   #4
quinta

Liked: 18 Times

Isn't there that veggie/vegan place? I think its called Bridges. Sounds pretty healthy to me haha

lisar96 says thanks to quinta for this post.
Old 05-08-2014 at 05:57 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinta View Post
Isn't there that veggie/vegan place? I think its called Bridges. Sounds pretty healthy to me haha
Lack of meat doesn't mean healthy.

A lot of the stuff is fried or cooked with lots of oil/fat or has a lot of sauce/dressings that aren't good for you.

lisar96 says thanks to starfish for this post.

MacPack, Ponyo like this.
Old 05-08-2014 at 12:38 PM   #6
quinta

It can be healthy...if you take away the frying and salad dressings...
Also I didn't know they did that cause uhh I don't eat there or anywhere on Campus haha

lisar96 says thanks to quinta for this post.
Old 05-08-2014 at 03:52 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Lisar96, great question! First off... welcome to MacInsiders!!

The residences themselves don't have food halls selling food like you would see in a high school for example (apart from Mary Keyes which has East Meets West Bistro attached to it's main lobby).

Instead, McMaster has many food areas scattered around campus, you can see a map of them all here:
http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/locations/map.html

The two biggest 'hubs' of places offering food to eat would be 'Centro' which is sort of like a food dining hall you're thinking about, and the second would be the student centre where La Piazza is

And yes there are 4 big 'restaurants' on campus... East Meets West Bistro is one, there's 1280 (TwelvEighty) which is a campus bar run by the MSU (McMaster Students Union), there's The Pheonix (Alumni run), and Bridges (Vegetarian).

PS. This map is out of date, The Pheonix is now located in the same building as Bridges

lisar96 says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 05-10-2014 at 09:47 PM   #8
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Thanks everyone!

This is off topic but does anyone know when the final copy of the master timetable will be out?
Old 05-11-2014 at 10:58 PM   #9
quinta

I think one was leaked but it can be subject to change...I also think it was posted here on MacInsiders...don't quote me on this though lol
Old 05-12-2014 at 02:11 AM   #10
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I'm seeing a bunch of actual restaurants but is there like a cafeteria where its just a cafeteria, like u take a tray and get food that sorta thing? So do people go to these restaurants everyday for every meal? how does this work
Old 05-12-2014 at 05:56 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
I'm seeing a bunch of actual restaurants but is there like a cafeteria where its just a cafeteria, like u take a tray and get food that sorta thing? So do people go to these restaurants everyday for every meal? how does this work
I think Bistro and Bridges are the only ones that qualify as "actual restaurants".
The rest is kind of like a food court at a mall...so yes there are trays that you take and get food, but it's not unlimited - you have to pay for each item you get.
I don't think people go to Bistro on a daily basis but people probably go to Bridges daily. Centro/Commons is another main place people go to eat daily, and La Piazza in the student centre - those two are more like food courts, though not exactly the same.

Imperious says thanks to starfish for this post.