MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Direct Time Conflict ! oxelhs Academics 4 06-19-2011 09:32 PM
ING Direct Orange Key jesstc Student Deals & Discounts 0 03-17-2011 09:16 AM
Tiger Direct Top 50 deals + boxing day preview Chad Student Deals & Discounts 2 12-23-2010 12:15 PM

Direct

Old 07-11-2013 at 07:47 AM   #16
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Don't listen to this guy. He is not giving information in your best benefit.
Yeah? Up yours too, buddy. How about you get something to back that statement up?

Quote:
Eng 1 books can all be found online (including valuable solution manuals). You get a free math book even when you purchase Webassign codes (online homework). The only thing you need to buy is a lab manuals for Chemistry and Physics.
Well, no sh*t genius, books available online for free as well. There's always an option to torrent them, duh. But out of 12 Eng I subjects, only 2-4 will have books available online.

Quote:
If you want used books, start buying them NOW. Once school starts, there will be many more students wanting the same thing so you have reduce negotiation power and increase in prices. Its like buying winter coats in the summer when its cheap.
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Have you ever thought, that when 100s of people try to sell books at the same time, they reduce prices in order to find a buyer? No? Oh well, excuse me, I thought you knew what you were talking about.... It says you joined this website in February. You probably didn't know, but there are over a dozen book sell posts being created on this website a day, usually starting September. With average price for engineering book at 40 bucks for most subjects, with only few exceptions. Also at by the time of book swap, people are ready to sell books for close to nothing. But no no, don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about, I only spend most of the decade in this university, but it's nothing.
Old 07-11-2013 at 12:46 PM   #17
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Yeah? Up yours too, buddy. How about you get something to back that statement up?

Well, no sh*t genius, books available online for free as well. There's always an option to torrent them, duh. But out of 12 Eng I subjects, only 2-4 will have books available online.
12 Eng I subjects? Do you even know the curriculum? There is only 10 Eng I subjects and two electives.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1197.html

FAILED! Get out of this thread and stop giving people wrong information.

2-4 books only available online? Hm let me count.

Available:

Chem 1E03
Math 1ZA3
Math 1ZB3
Math 1ZC3
Matls 1M03
Physics 1D03
Physics 1E03
Eng 1D04

Can you count that high?

FAILED! Get out of this thread!

For 1C03, you don't even need the books. The weekly assignments give you the question while the lab component, you can just learn from the help file.

Quote:
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Have you ever thought, that when 100s of people try to sell books at the same time, they reduce prices in order to find a buyer? No? Oh well, excuse me, I thought you knew what you were talking about.... It says you joined this website in February. You probably didn't know, but there are over a dozen book sell posts being created on this website a day, usually starting September. With average price for engineering book at 40 bucks for most subjects, with only few exceptions. Also at by the time of book swap, people are ready to sell books for close to nothing. But no no, don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about, I only spend most of the decade in this university, but it's nothing.
You really don't know what you are talking about. While there is a increase in supply, there is also a increase in demand.

People rarely negotiate in the first two weeks of semester starts caused they know there will always be another buyer coming to grab it. Its only out of seasonal dates do they tend to give you discounts out of desperation.

Judging someone based on their joined date? Oh right, caused you can't start University without having an account nor can you browse the site without one. Or maybe, there wasn't a time when MacInsiders account didn't require a University email.

Just stop posting in this thread. Already I showed how clueless you are. Might wanna spend another decade in school at this rate.

Back on topic!

Kinder likes this.
Old 07-11-2013 at 01:08 PM   #18
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
10 Eng I subjects and two electives.
By Eng I, I mean engineering year one and all the courses for it. Don't be a smartass.

Chem 1E03 <- was not available 3 years ago

Math 1ZA3 <- same book for 3 courses
Math 1ZB3
Math 1ZC3

Matls 1M03

Physics 1D03 <- same book for both
Physics 1E03

Eng 1D04 <- was not available 3 years ago

So that's still 4 books, unless someone uploaded the chem or programming books, or they changed them.

Quote:
FAILED! Get out of this thread!
What? Failed? What is this, youtube? Who allowed 15 year olds in here?

Quote:
You really don't know what you are talking about. While there is a increase in supply, there is also a increase in demand.

People rarely negotiate in the first two weeks of semester starts caused they know there will always be another buyer coming to grab it. Its only out of seasonal dates do they tend to give you discounts out of desperation.
Really? You are going to teach me on how book selling works? Have you ever sold a single book?

You think sellers know there will be another buyer? What if the buyer knows he can get the book cheaper later. You ever thought of people like OP reading forums like this one and saying "hmm, I think I better wait a bit and ask for a lower price".

Also please, do more of that Econ 1B03 talk on supply and demad. Guess you have to use it one day. Why not use it now.

Quote:
Judging someone based on their joined date? Oh right, caused you can't start University without having an account nor can you browse the site without one. Or maybe, there wasn't a time when MacInsiders account didn't require a University email.

Just stop posting in this thread. Already I showed how clueless you are. Might wanna spend another decade in school at this rate.
No, I know you just finished the first year by the way you talk. You are smart mouthing people who know better, throwing insults left and right.

Man, kids these days have no patience or manners.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 07-11-2013 at 01:44 PM   #19
meoop

Liked: 0 Times

Once you get DC++ you can find a bunch of books you wouldn't be able to normally find on torrent sites.
Old 07-11-2013 at 03:48 PM   #20
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
By Eng I, I mean engineering year one and all the courses for it. Don't be a smartass.

Chem 1E03 <- was not available 3 years ago

Math 1ZA3 <- same book for 3 courses
Math 1ZB3
Math 1ZC3

Matls 1M03

Physics 1D03 <- same book for both
Physics 1E03

Eng 1D04 <- was not available 3 years ago

So that's still 4 books, unless someone uploaded the chem or programming books, or they changed them.

What? Failed? What is this, youtube? Who allowed 15 year olds in here?

Really? You are going to teach me on how book selling works? Have you ever sold a single book?

You think sellers know there will be another buyer? What if the buyer knows he can get the book cheaper later. You ever thought of people like OP reading forums like this one and saying "hmm, I think I better wait a bit and ask for a lower price".

Also please, do more of that Econ 1B03 talk on supply and demad. Guess you have to use it one day. Why not use it now.

No, I know you just finished the first year by the way you talk. You are smart mouthing people who know better, throwing insults left and right.

Man, kids these days have no patience or manners.
Your information is outdated. Just let the people with more current information take charge. Take the Youtube comment to Youtube.
Old 07-18-2013 at 08:07 PM   #21
Marvelous

Liked: 0 Times

Maybe I should've been a bit more direct about this...

I am taking Social Science courses. Can anyone give me approximately how much I might spend on book for this course?
Old 07-18-2013 at 08:52 PM   #22
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous View Post
Maybe I should've been a bit more direct about this...

I am taking Social Science courses. Can anyone give me approximately how much I might spend on book for this course?
Social Science isn't just one course, it's an entire faculty. Within the faculty, you can spend as little as $12 on a book to as much as $200, depending on the course and the specific book. Some courses require multiple books.

Especially since Social Science I gives students so much choice in terms of their courses, no, nobody can tell you with a decent degree of accuracy what your total book cost will be.
Old 07-18-2013 at 10:59 PM   #23
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

What electives did you take? Later on, closer to the start of school, the McMaster bookstore website will have a book list. You put in your courses and it will tell you the materials you need for that course, be it a textbook or courseware or whatever else. It will also tell you how much each of those things cost.