MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet Deal or not? That is the question! mcmastergcdb Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 17 08-31-2010 12:50 PM
Was the H1N1 virus as big of a deal as people made it? Kathy2 General Discussion 9 03-04-2010 05:59 PM
That McMaster Microsoft Deal RyanC General Discussion 9 09-10-2009 12:25 PM

How do I deal with immature people?

Old 10-28-2010 at 08:47 PM   #1
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

How do I deal with immature people?
I am in first year chemistry lab and I'd like to deal with ridiculous people that really pisses me off.
I swear, I did not expect these from university students. First, my lab partner gives me shit to me for trying to do lab by the books. I am very committed students who will wash the beaker and other glassware with soap thoroughly after the use. I will make sure I tilt the beaker to pour water if lab manual says it is important to do so. This guy is just looking to go home as early as he can and wouldn't stop giving me shit for me doing everything thoroughly. I am not a tight-ass or anything. I am a friendly person who likes to laugh and have fun and at the same time I really do work hard. I want to be well prepared for job market in four years.

There are some really cocky Asian guy in my lab who is so full of himself and seem to look down on little people like me and it really disgusted me.

Whether, it is some random guy who did not seemed to have read lab manual prior to the lab and ask me millions of questions to waste my time, whether it is some guy who gives me shit for me trying to play everything by books, or some cocky Asian guy who look down on me derisively for me being little, or some guy who wants to transfer to any program but this program we are in but has not specific reason, or whether it is shallow good looking people who ignores me because I am little Asian.. I am pretty fed up with people that I dealt with. I really have respects for few people in the lab, but otherwise majority were quite disgraceful to be in same class with. I dont know how i will put up with them.
Old 10-28-2010 at 08:50 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Sounds like you're the immature one. Your first step should be to stop making so many assumptions/judgements about other people.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-29-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2010 at 08:52 PM   #3
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Either confront them, and tell them to **** off... or take it all in.
You will find immature people wherever you are. In the workplace, or at university.

Tell the guy to follow the damn book, and you don't give a shit if he likes it or not.
Tell the cocky guy he has aids.

OH... and don't give a [email protected]#! about this stuff. You have bigger and better things to do, rather than worrying about small stuff like this.
Old 10-28-2010 at 08:54 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Just survive first year. Thats when you got the most... asses.

I agree with you for the most part though
Old 10-28-2010 at 09:49 PM   #5
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
I am in first year chemistry lab and I'd like to deal with ridiculous people that really pisses me off.
I swear, I did not expect these from university students. First, my lab partner gives me shit to me for trying to do lab by the books. I am very committed students who will wash the beaker and other glassware with soap thoroughly after the use. I will make sure I tilt the beaker to pour water if lab manual says it is important to do so. This guy is just looking to go home as early as he can and wouldn't stop giving me shit for me doing everything thoroughly. I am not a tight-ass or anything. I am a friendly person who likes to laugh and have fun and at the same time I really do work hard. I want to be well prepared for job market in four years.

There are some really cocky Asian guy in my lab who is so full of himself and seem to look down on little people like me and it really disgusted me.

Whether, it is some random guy who did not seemed to have read lab manual prior to the lab and ask me millions of questions to waste my time, whether it is some guy who gives me shit for me trying to play everything by books, or some cocky Asian guy who look down on me derisively for me being little, or some guy who wants to transfer to any program but this program we are in but has not specific reason, or whether it is shallow good looking people who ignores me because I am little Asian.. I am pretty fed up with people that I dealt with. I really have respects for few people in the lab, but otherwise majority were quite disgraceful to be in same class with. I dont know how i will put up with them.

The issue with the lab partner is a real one, and to be honest there's nothing you can do but to put up with it and say "**** off" if they screw around.

As for being a little tiny asian, though it is not right for people to look down upon you, do yourself a favour and hit the gym. Believe me, it'll help your self confidence and you'll feel better about yourself.

On a really side note, I'm guessing your in life sci? Well if you took 1M03 or know evolution, you'll know that biological speaking, it is the fittest animals that survive , the weak ones are weeded out. It's just how we evolved and how our society runs (ie, hot fit people get laid all the time) so don't be too angry if they look down upon you, it's something subconscious and can't be helped.

Tl;Dr: HIT THE GYM
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:09 PM   #6
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Wherever you go you will have to deal with immature, difficult people.
So my only advice would be to stop complaining and grow a pair.
You either stand up for yourself or take it from behind.
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:15 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
or whether it is shallow good looking people who ignores me because I am little Asian.
>___>

Doesn't that seem a bit judgmental? I ignore everyone except my lab partner in my labs - why the hell would I even talk to anyone else? I have work to do.

So where are you getting this idea that 'people are ignoring you' because you're 'little asian'?

EDIT: I only ignore people in orgo labs, because those are generally more time consuming and require more attention. In that case, it fits directly in with your situation since you're in a chem lab - people have work to do, I don't see what you expect from other people who aren't directly working with you.

Afzal, giftedchick like this.
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:40 PM   #8
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I'll agree that there are always idiots and judgemental people everywhere. But, from what you wrote, you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about other peoples' views about you

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-28-2010 at 11:31 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

During my first semester of first year chemistry, I hated my labs. My TA was mediocre, I never really talked to anyone, and I always felt under prepared. I really disliked the time I spent in my lab, and just wanted to do my experiment and get out. It was possibly the thing I liked least about my first year.

Second semester that changed a lot- I went out of my way to talk to not just my lab partner, but the groups around me. I chatted and joked with my TA, who was a super awesome guy. I wasn't slacking, or taking it less seriously- I still did the same amount of work, if not more. But I also wasn't letting the stress of the lab get to me. Not only did my lab mark go from a 70 to a 90, but I actually enjoyed the time I spent in that lab. I couldn't even tell you what the people from my first semester lab looked like at this point, but I still keep in touch with people from second semester.

Now, not every lab group you're in will turn out like that- since then I've had many more labs, with many different people and TAs- a lot of whom just want to do the work and get the mark (or get paid). And sometimes the work requires too much attention to simultaneously chat with those around you. But you'd be surprised by the effect just striking up some friendly conversations before the lab starts can make your overall experience more enjoyable.

TL;DR- Labs are like everything else- you mostly get what you put into them.
Old 10-28-2010 at 11:35 PM   #10
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

It's so funny how people look down on others for being smaller.

Take Audie Murphy, he was a young american soldier during WW2, 5'5 and about 110 lbs. He was looked down a lot and got rejected by USMC, USAF, USNAVY. Yet he killed more Nazis than anyone else during the war.

Big things come in small packages, feel better about yourself and be strong. Also tell them to **** off and that you feel bad about them for being failed abortions.
Old 10-29-2010 at 08:48 AM   #11
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Just survive first year.
This is by far one of the best pieces of advice we can give you. Once you get to 2nd year and start to really focus on your major your class sizes will shrink (hopefully), your TAs will get better, your professors will actually care about what they're teaching and the people in your class also love the program they're in.

Now I've heard some people say what I just wrote is total bull$&^% but that is exactly what happened to me. Second year has been exponentially better than first year.

Also, I kinda look back now wishing I acted more like you in my chemistry labs, then maybe I would have done better...

SilentWalker says thanks to doug for this post.

SilentWalker, taylojl like this.
Old 10-29-2010 at 10:36 AM   #12
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I agree; everywhere in life you are going to come across "immatre people." You just have to take it in your stride. You're bigger than that (well technically, you're "little" [you're own words]). Don't let it bring you down, don't wate time thinking about it, don't waste time writing about it in ths forum! You're just letting them get to you. But... with all that said, it's still not going to maing them stop being annoying. Ignore them, at the end of four years you are going to come out with your degree and you won't even remember these people.
Old 10-29-2010 at 01:24 PM   #13
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

just ignore em and stop taking it all too seriously, its their marks that they are shitting away so who cares. If it really is bothering you that much then just tell em to stop if that doesn't work just tell the TA or something, first semester is almost done so you just gotta hang on. There are always going to be people in your life that your not going to like and get along with but you just gotta put up with it..
Old 10-30-2010 at 10:43 AM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Killing yourself is the only answer.

For Aiur.

WE CANNOT HOLD!

Old 10-30-2010 at 11:13 AM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post

Wow, that's pretty judgmental. Imo, the only people you have a right to complain about are your lab partner, your TA, and anyone who is being unsafe and putting other people at risk (which doesn't really seem to be one of your complaints). Honestly, that "cocky Asian guy" is probably just trying to do the same thing you are--do things right and get a good mark. Why on earth should he waste his time paying attention to you, when you complain about other people trying to take up some of your attention/time?

Your lab partner may have had a good reason for trying to get out of the lab early...since this is was the first lab in partners, you have no way of really knowing if it's a habitual thing or not. If you want to do things right, then do it right. Although...I cringe internally every time someone washes glassware with soap. Like, soap is a chemical too! and depending what the glassware will next be used for, it can negatively affect that experiment if there is residual soap on the glassware. For the most part, in first year everything can be washed with water alone. In orgo labs, acetone works wonders. If I was your lab partner, I would be annoyed if you insisted on washing everything with soap, too.

At the end of the day, these are your labs, you're supposed to learn from them. Don't let your lab partner take away from your learning experience. Instead of complaining about it on here, if you find yourself in that situation again, tell your lab partner. I wouldn't be all that surprised about finding yourself in this situation, though. It probably happens to everyone at least once. Just be glad that your results in first year don't actually count for marks (other than the first lab), it's how you explain yourself and how well you understand what's going on that counts.
And for everyone's sake...WEAR YOUR LAB GOGGLES! (and go to avenue to read about the new goggles policy if you haven't already)

britb likes this.