MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Deal with Creepy Crawlies temara.brown Residence & Off-Campus Living 39 08-16-2009 09:28 AM
MacInsiders Toolbar! Sweet! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-25-2006 12:04 AM

Sweet Deal or not? That is the question!

Old 06-30-2010 at 08:06 AM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Sweet Deal or not? That is the question!
2 min walk from mac, 450 (utilities included (cable, ac, heat, etc)). Near emerson!

Does anybody pay lower than this or has a better deal?

This is my first time to live offcampus, need some help guyss
Old 06-30-2010 at 08:16 AM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
2 min walk from mac, 450 (utilities included (cable, ac, heat, etc)). Near emerson!

Does anybody pay lower than this or has a better deal?

This is my first time to live offcampus, need some help guyss
I'm like 12 minutes away and paying 400 + utilities. Most places in my search were ~400 plus utilities, so it sounds pretty decent. As long as the place isn't a dump!

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 08:46 AM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I'm about 10 min bike ride from campus. 375 and all utilities and internet included.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:27 AM   #4
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

If you want, you can go to the basement of the student centre and ask the Off-Campus Resource centre to look it over for you. They can give you advices and tips, and they would also be willing to read over the contracts/ lease reviews (since some of them require additional fees). Try not signing anything yet though. Since you did mention it's you're first time living off campus, they'd be even happier to help you with issues about anythin related to off campus housing).

Go to them first and see what you can get from them! They're located in B112.

I know you asked about prices (if that's a good enough price within a vicinity), but I'm just trying to point out that there are also additional or hidden fees with the one you've stated already. What may seem legit at first, may not be if you don't read the fine prints. I mean, Mac has all these resources, so why not go and try anyway.. right?

Good luck with this!

mcmastergcdb says thanks to PinkSapphire for this post.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:40 AM   #5
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

I lived in 2 different houses.

First one was $365 plus utilities and it was an 11-12min walk to campus. Utilities averaged $100 per month (hyrdo/water, natural gas, AC, internet, cable and phone with long distance). I wasn't happy with the cost of utilities since I was told the house was averaging $50/month the year (and 4 of the 6 people that lived there the year before lived there with me). My room was on the second floor and was fairly small (only held twin sized bed, desk and wardrobe since the closet was small)

Second house was $380 plus utilities and it was a 6min walk to campus. Utilities averaged $60 per month (hydro/water, natural gas, water heater rental, internet and phone with long distance). The room was on the main floor and was about 12'x14'.

You need to check if internet/cable and maybe phone are included in 'utilities' or not. They quite often are not.

Last edited by JBeans : 06-30-2010 at 09:43 AM.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to JBeans for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:43 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

1 min walk, 400 all included

mcmastergcdb says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 06:49 PM   #7
JL37

Liked: 5 Times

thats pretty sweet. i'm gonna be paying 403 a month, utilities included. but its like a 20+ min walk to and from campus. dead for winter :(

mcmastergcdb says thanks to JL37 for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:18 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL37 View Post
thats pretty sweet. i'm gonna be paying 403 a month, utilities included. but its like a 20+ min walk to and from campus. dead for winter :(
The HSR is free for full time students for the Fall/Winter session.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:26 PM   #9
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Well it depends what your first priority is, my friend is like a 25 min walk but he pays 310 (not including) and his house is so so nice. Mine is a 12 min walk and I pay 360 (not including) and when you add utilities and internet its going to be 400+ but my house is spectacular.
Personally, 450 sounds a bit much, id go for 400 though. When you say all included is that just utilities? or internet and cable as well? If it includes EVERYTHING, then i think its a sweet deal

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 07-01-2010 at 06:44 PM   #10
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Thanks a lot guys for helpin a brotha out!!

Hey I was also wondering, how much do you guys spend monthly on miscellenous and other fixed costs. Will you please also gimme a full year estimate? Also Im only getting like 2000 bucks from OSAP, and my friends get like 10000 bucks. WTF!! Anybody knows what could be the possible reason.

PS. Im the only child, parents make decent. But I don't want to live with my parents, I really have no freedom lol. I don't want their money either. So why the hell does it matter to OSAP pps how much my parents make?

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 07-01-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2010 at 05:00 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

All I hear is wah wah wah free money wah wah wah.

But I live right off Thorndale (3 minute walk to ETB), and pay 445/month + utilities.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 07-02-2010 at 05:20 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for helpin a brotha out!!

Hey I was also wondering, how much do you guys spend monthly on miscellenous and other fixed costs. Will you please also gimme a full year estimate? Also Im only getting like 2000 bucks from OSAP, and my friends get like 10000 bucks. WTF!! Anybody knows what could be the possible reason.

PS. Im the only child, parents make decent. But I don't want to live with my parents, I really have no freedom lol. I don't want their money either. So why the hell does it matter to OSAP pps how much my parents make?
That's just how the system is structured. While there have been many debates about it on these forums, this is how I see it:

If your parents make a decent amount of money, even if both parties hate each other, I think they assume that if you broke your leg and couldn't work to pay your own rent or were in some sort of terrible accident and could never work again, your parents would help out.

IMO, this "worst case scenario" clause might be what they go by when they decide to rely on parental income. However, many students are screwed perpetually because nobody they know and can rely on makes a decent amount of money, effectively rendering them without this "WCS" clause.

That's why I think they do it.
It's not always practical and it doesn't meet the needs of ALL students but its probably best for that number of students who are completely broke beyond the colloquial definition of the word, and I think that government assistance would be primarily catered to them.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

mcmastergcdb says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:15 PM   #13
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Got another question!!! lol
Do I have to buy bed, studying table, chair and b.s. or will I be provided with it most likely?

THankuuu
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:58 PM   #14
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Got another question!!! lol
Do I have to buy bed, studying table, chair and b.s. or will I be provided with it most likely?

THankuuu
90+% of places are unfurnished, so you'd have to supply your own. Unless the ad you see says it's furnished, expect to supply your own furniture.
Old 07-06-2010 at 04:39 PM   #15
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

My rent is 435 all included, internet included, 30 second walk to 51/5c bus stop and about 20 min walk to MUSC. Its also about 5 min from the grocery store