MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does osap go directly to you bank account 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-01-2011 10:28 PM
Changes to OSAP Account - PLEASE REPLY degrootegirl Financial Aid 10 05-25-2011 11:30 PM
osap and bank account.. xsanx Financial Aid 1 08-20-2010 11:14 AM
OSAP and my Student Account Thom14 General Discussion 2 09-27-2009 06:31 PM
delete macinsiders account? xo.monica General Discussion 31 07-30-2009 06:10 PM

How Do I Delete my OSAP account?

Old 08-23-2011 at 05:28 PM   #1
xphat

Liked: 0 Times

How Do I Delete my OSAP account?
Alright so I know this may seem really stupid but I need help lol.

My dad was interested in starting an OSAP account for me because he heard about the grants and stuff, but now he's no longer interested and just wants to pay my full school fee amount.

Is there anyway I can delete my account on OSAP? Or do I just not do all the paper work sent and stuff?

Thanks x
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:31 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Just ignore the OSAP account... as long as you don't go pick the money up, you won't owe any... if you really wanna get rid of it, talk to the people in the SFAS office whenever you're not busy on campus.

Taking out a student loan and paying it back is good for your credit score, is it not? OSAP is also important for some campus jobs, getting free scholarship money (based on things like first generation students, ethnicities, financial need (i.e. poor parents ), and other random things..) its always worth it to have your osap account
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:38 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Just ignore the OSAP account... as long as you don't go pick the money up, you won't owe any... if you really wanna get rid of it, talk to the people in the SFAS office whenever you're not busy on campus.

Taking out a student loan and paying it back is good for your credit score, is it not? OSAP is also important for some campus jobs, getting free scholarship money (based on things like first generation students, ethnicities, financial need (i.e. poor parents ), and other random things..) its always worth it to have your osap account
It's also an interest free loan until you graduate.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:39 PM   #4
xphat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

To be honest I considered keeping it, but I already picked the Payment agreement for mac and I honestly have NO idea how OSAP works (seeing as I never really went to any of the orientations at school and the people who always talked about it *because I never thought I'd have to sign up for it*)

They mailed me some paper work I guess it wouldn't hurt to fill it out.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:40 PM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Pssst...take it and invest it and make more money...
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:42 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

So like you can still get the OSAP money AND pay in full without using it.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:42 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphat View Post
To be honest I considered keeping it, but I already picked the Payment agreement for mac and I honestly have NO idea how OSAP works (seeing as I never really went to any of the orientations at school and the people who always talked about it *because I never thought I'd have to sign up for it*)

They mailed me some paper work I guess it wouldn't hurt to fill it out.
I just learned OSAP as I went, never got any instruction in HS or any of that. You basically get accepted to OSAP, use your SIN to sign in, get an OSAP number (so you dont have to type your SIN in every time) and just follow the instructions on the site. The only tricky part of the whole procedure is filling out the parents' income bit, because it asked for specific lines of the tax return form that my dad couldn't seem to locate for the longest time

Even if your dad is paying your tuition, its nice to take out a little amount for supplementary money.. better than bugging your parents for things if you don't have your own money supply, etc.

Desda likes this.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:43 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Correct.......
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:44 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Yes, just pay in full, then have the money deposited into your bank account (bring void cheque or banking information to the OSAP pickup)
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:13 PM   #10
xphat

But wouldn't I need to click on the Flex Plan or whatever it's called on the Payment Agreement in order for OSAP to give me a cheque?

Or are you saying that I stick with osap, pay my tuition in full, and just get the advantages of grants and stuff?
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:16 PM   #11
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
But wouldn't I need to click on the Flex Plan or whatever it's called on the Payment Agreement in order for OSAP to give me a cheque?

Or are you saying that I stick with osap, pay my tuition in full, and just get the advantages of grants and stuff?
This. ^
/12char
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:17 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

You can choose any payment plan you want regardless of OSAP. You don't even have to select OSAP as a payment option.
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:08 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just put it aside, you don't have to delete it. You might need to use it at one point, or for grad school or something. However, if I were you, I would take the OSAP loan for the grants and such and just put your dad's money aside and pay it off when you graduate
Old 08-23-2011 at 09:10 PM   #14
xphat

Alright, I think I'll keep it then. Just need to find those papers they mailed me now haha