MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM
summer tuition sycoman Financial Aid 8 04-16-2010 12:13 PM
summer tuition Charbs Financial Aid 3 03-20-2010 03:05 PM
Tuition Tax Marlowe General Discussion 12 11-23-2009 10:02 PM
Tuition and Student Fees receipt Matt Hills General Discussion 3 10-20-2008 09:51 PM

Where do I go for my tuition receipt?

Old 03-12-2011 at 01:09 PM   #16
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

wow so do we pay 13% extra for tuition? screw the HST omg
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:13 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I don't know the calculation. But I just did mine and I got $2065 back including gst and other credits. Made $22K with $2K paid in taxes. Paid $4400 in tuition and $2K in rent. Wished I knew how to do my taxes. Had to paid Softron $105 to have them do it for me. Sad smiley face goes here
Apparently students get a discounted or free tax program, can't remember the name, but you should look into it and do your own taxes (my dad suggested I do this).
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:21 PM   #18
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Apparently students get a discounted or free tax program, can't remember the name, but you should look into it and do your own taxes (my dad suggested I do this).
At Softron, they only give you the student discount if you made less than $10K. Oh well. The amount I got back compared to the amount I paid isn't so bad (self soothing here). Insert denial face here
Old 03-12-2011 at 02:06 PM   #19
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Ufile.ca is free for students:
http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-an...reefiling.aspx

Studio Tax is a not-for profit program that is free for anyone (including businesses) to use and file their taxes:
http://www.studiotax.com/en/main.htm

I highly recommend doing your own taxes: its a good learning experience and takes less than 30 minutes. Ufile.ca is more than sufficient for the vast majority of students.

As for tuition credits, you can transfer up to $5000 of federal credits and $6,178 of provincial credits (for Ontario). If your parents are in a higher tax bracket (e.g. make more than $70k each) then it may be more beneficial for them to use your tax credits than for you to save them for when you graduate.
Old 03-12-2011 at 02:18 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Ufile.ca is free for students:
http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-an...reefiling.aspx

Studio Tax is a not-for profit program that is free for anyone (including businesses) to use and file their taxes:
http://www.studiotax.com/en/main.htm

I highly recommend doing your own taxes: its a good learning experience and takes less than 30 minutes. Ufile.ca is more than sufficient for the vast majority of students.

As for tuition credits, you can transfer up to $5000 of federal credits and $6,178 of provincial credits (for Ontario). If your parents are in a higher tax bracket (e.g. make more than $70k each) then it may be more beneficial for them to use your tax credits than for you to save them for when you graduate.
Thats exactly what I was looking for! Whats wrong with saving tax credits for when I graduate? And whats a tax credit?
Old 03-12-2011 at 02:53 PM   #21
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Thats exactly what I was looking for! Whats wrong with saving tax credits for when I graduate? And whats a tax credit?
A tax credit is something that reduces the amount of income you owe tax on. There are two types:
Refundable tax credits and Non-refundable tax credits. Refundable tax credits you receive even if you paid no income tax (for example the Working Income Tax Benefit, look it up). Non-refundable tax credits just allow you to decrease the amount of income tax you owe, but you're really just getting the money back that you pre-paid to the government through deductions on your paycheck.

As an example, in 2011 if you made $50,000 but had $40,000 in non-refundable tax credits (say from going to University) then your net taxable income would only be $10,000. Everyone in Canada gets a base $10,000 tax credit (called the basic personal amount) so in the above case you would have a net taxable income of $0 and thus owe $0 in income tax. Because income taxes are deducted off your paycheck automatically, you'll end up getting a refund of all of that income tax you prepaid throughout 2011.

I'll do a quick calculation to show why transferring credits to your parents may be more beneficial than keeping them for yourself.

Bob is going to University and has only one parent (for simplicity) who had a gross income of $100,000 in 2010. Bob will graduate at the end of 2011 and has a job lined up that will pay him $50,000 per year. Bob has $10,000 of tuition credits for 2010.

Case A: Bob keeps the tuition credit and applies it towards his future earnings.
At the end of 2011, Bob uses the tuition credit and so his net taxable income is $30,000 (remember the 10k basic exemption). Thus for the tuition credit he receives a refund of $10,000 *15% for federal income tax and $10,000*5.05% for provincial income tax, yielding a total refund of $2005.

Case B: Bob transfers $5,000 of tuition credits to his parent in 2010 (the max amount allowed) and keeps the other $5000 which he applies towards his income in 2011:
At the end of 2011 Bob receives a refund of $5000*15% for federal income tax and $5,000*5.05% for a refund of $1002.
In 2010 Bob's parent reduces their net taxable income from $90,000 to $85,000. Due to the tuition credit transfer, Bob's parent receives a refund of: $5000*26% + $5000*11.16% = $1858.

So combined Bob and their parent received $2860 in refunds, which is 40% more than if Bob had just used the credits himself.

The difference occurs because the marginal tax rate increases with higher incomes. I've selected numbers that make the difference the most apparent. For case in between the difference won't be as large.

TheCrucible says thanks to dsahota for this post.