MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Grade Reports ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-31-2010 09:24 AM
Where are the grade reports exactly? HooCF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-27-2010 01:51 AM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 06-06-2010 05:01 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 1 06-02-2010 08:04 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 05-31-2010 03:46 PM

What do grade reports look like?

Old 01-03-2011 at 07:41 AM   #1
irenel

Liked: Liked 2 Times

What do grade reports look like?
I have asked my son for his grade report however what he has sent me looks fishy. I am paying around 14 000 for his tuition and living expenses so I deserve to know how he is doing! If someone could show me what a grade report is supposed to look like it would be much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011 at 07:55 AM   #2
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Bunch of papers in a font similar to what I'm using now, if I recall correctly.

lux likes this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 07:58 AM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Wait, isn't what I described just the registration paper...

Damnit, now I'm confused.

Old 01-03-2011 at 07:58 AM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

WOW, you know ... you have to trust other people, specially your own son, also respect his privacy .. But here knock yourself out.

http://img521.imageshack.us/i/picture1zc.png/

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 01-03-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2011 at 08:11 AM   #5
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
WOW, you know ... you have to trust other people, specially your own son, also respect his privacy .. But here knock yourself out.
He doesn't have to do anything. 14K a year earns certain things.

amyshi, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 08:40 AM   #6
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

http://img521.imageshack.us/i/picture1zc.png/

snitchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 08:53 AM   #7
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

rofl. some1 going to get a hurtin reaaal bad.

macsci says thanks to siefer1322 for this post.

Old 01-03-2011 at 09:25 AM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

lol.. hope he wasnt lying
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:23 AM   #9
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenel View Post
I have asked my son for his grade report however what he has sent me looks fishy. I am paying around 14 000 for his tuition and living expenses so I deserve to know how he is doing! If someone could show me what a grade report is supposed to look like it would be much appreciated.
^^^^ Reason #16824 for high suicide rates in University.

Paying $14000 for someone's education does not entitle you to run their lives. Any parent who does that is going to have a very unmotivated son with no drive for a career that they didn't choose.

But let's mess around a bit. It would be very easy to fake a grade report from McMaster unless you asked him for an official transcript (which costs money and wayy too much time for an **** retentive parents). So may I suggest some trust?

icecubz likes this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:27 AM   #10
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post

Paying $14000 for someone's education does not entitle you to run their lives. Any parent who does that is going to have a very unmotivated son with no drive for a career that they didn't choose.

But let's mess around a bit. It would be very easy to fake a grade report from McMaster unless you asked him for an official transcript (which costs money and wayy too much time for an **** retentive parents). So may I suggest some trust?
i think any parent that is paying for their child's tuition deserves to know how their child's doing...it's not the same as running their lives

justinsftw, stevenmm like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:31 AM   #11
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
i think any parent that is paying for their child's tuition deserves to know how their child's doing...it's not the same as running their lives
Who said I think his son should be witholding the grades? The case here isn't that his son isn't showing him the grades, the case is that he's being unfaithful about what he sees. Probably cuz he doesn't even know how the 12-point scale works.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:40 AM   #12
irenel

Quote:

You are speaking far too much with far too little information. I have never pressured my child to pursue an education and have most certainly never "ruined his life". Trust is something that is earned and can be lost very easily. Sure it wouldn't be my wish but in reality, I wouldn't care if every grade on the report was a 0. As a mother and the source of his tuition, all I want is the truth. My son has a track record of unnecessary lying which he is well aware of. It's become a habit. If you think that's "ruining his life" and driving him to commit suicide, you sir, are out of your mind.

Clematis, justinsftw like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:42 AM   #13
irenel

Quote:
Who said I think his son should be witholding the grades? The case here isn't that his son isn't showing him the grades, the case is that he's being unfaithful about what he sees. Probably cuz he doesn't even know how the 12-point scale works.
As a matter of fact, I'm very aware of how the 12-point scale works. I'm sorry if it took you years to figure it out - but it's really not that difficult to comprehend.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:48 AM   #14
sjager

Quote:
You are speaking far too much with far too little information. I have never pressured my child to pursue an education and have most certainly never "ruined his life". Trust is something that is earned and can be lost very easily. Sure it wouldn't be my wish but in reality, I wouldn't care if every grade on the report was a 0. As a mother and the source of his tuition, all I want is the truth. My son has a track record of unnecessary lying which he is well aware of. It's become a habit. If you think that's "ruining his life" and driving him to commit suicide, you sir, are out of your mind.
If I don't trust them enough to provide me with an accurate grade report or their progress in school, I'd probably direct them to a bank to pay for their tuition instead.

But alas, you are right. I'm not sure of his reason to lie to you but it could be for other reasons than what I claimed before, just a little tangent rant of what I've seen before.

To answer your question, the best way to review his grade report is to either get an official transcript (lots of effort to obtain, you only really need it after you graduate) or to sit down with him in front of the computer. He will go to this link (a common student portal called MUGSI):

https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm

and click on the "Grade Report" link on the left, which will then ask for his MacID and password. After he enters it you'll see what previous posters have described to you.

The grades will be in 12 point format. 0 is a fail, 1-12 is a passing grade, with 1 being the low end of the grade, 12 being the high end.
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:54 AM   #15
Gpop

Quote:
It's bad if you still have to be behind his back to look at his grades at this age. He's in uni now, it's time for him to start learning to grow on his own instead of still depending on others, and having others on his back. If he gets the marks, it's his choice to deal with it now.

Let me tell you, I have a dad who used to be on my back 24/7. You know what? Instead of making me do better, it gave me more reason to do nothing until he gets off my back so I could at least try to learn on my own. I want to be independent, knowing that my parents trust me enough. If they can't trust me then I obviously can't trust them at all.