MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Grade Reports ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-31-2010 09:24 AM
Where are the grade reports exactly? HooCF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-27-2010 01:51 AM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 06-06-2010 05:01 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 1 06-02-2010 08:04 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 05-31-2010 03:46 PM

What do grade reports look like?

Old 01-03-2011 at 11:55 AM   #16
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Kids gonna get the whip!
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:55 AM   #17
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenel View Post
As a matter of fact, I'm very aware of how the 12-point scale works. I'm sorry if it took you years to figure it out - but it's really not that difficult to comprehend.
Don't be unnecessary. A lot of parents don't care about the McMaster GPA, I know mine don't.
Old 01-03-2011 at 12:27 PM   #18
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Don't be unnecessary. A lot of parents don't care about the McMaster GPA, I know mine don't.
dude... just stop.

Clematis, Cliu91, giftedchick like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 12:38 PM   #19
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
dude... just stop.
I think both parties have a good point here.

But at the end of the day, the mother did not ask for anyone's opinion/thoughts on if what she is doing is right . She just wanted to see what a grade report looks like and that has already been delivered.

No point for this topic to go any longer.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 12:44 PM   #20
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Well, look at it this way.
Some argue the kid is old enough to be treated as an adult, or to be "trusted".

Then let's take the whole mother/son out of this equation, and just see the situation involving two grown adults.
Irene has paid for a man to attend school, and expects to see results. Just as any other investment you would put money into.
If the results are not expected, then Irene can choose to withdraw any future payments from then on out.
But that is not the case, she is his mother.

Either way, she's entitled to know what a grade report looks like so she can evaluate future decisions.

For any of you guys questioning her parenting, how about you raise one yourself?

Old 01-03-2011 at 12:49 PM   #21
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Very well put Colin. I agree with the opinion that Irene has full rights to know how her son is doing if she is paying his tuition. If I were paying for my hypothetical child's education, I would most certainly stop paying if I found out I were paying for a $14000 non-stop party.

And lets be honest, McMaster grade reports are as sketchy looking as they come. If I hadn't seen them myself I wouldn't believe that it was an honest document provided by an institue of this calibur. So asking for a second opinion to verify what it looks like seems like a smart thing to have done.
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:05 PM   #22
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

irene, your smothering the boy, js.

And if this is the case he could very well be one of those [censored] out there that need mommy and daddy to keep him on track.

Last edited by jhan523 : 01-04-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Violation of CoC
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:40 PM   #23
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

I think all of this can be solved by parents instilling more independence in their kids; the seemingly general inevitability that the child will take his/her education for granted (and most often do poorly) is directly related to the parent's handing it over to them on a silver platter.

When someone has to work for something, especially something as important as their education, they will likely not take it for granted.

I'd say blame should be shared equally, for the parent not having the stones to tell their kid that their education is up to them financially (but that they, the parents, will help when they can); and for the child, as many are these days, for not having enough of a sense of autonomy to decide whether or not they truly want something for themselves.

This is pretty much why (incoming generalization) almost every first generation student I know that is the offspring of immigrant parents not only busts their ass to make as much as they can to cover that $14k, but has a greater appreciation for it (e.g. better grades, on average). Again, generalization, but most of the typical generic canadian/american types who came from upper-middle class homes in the suburbs instead of apartments, small town-homes, semis and singles take absolutely everything aside from their iPhone and their xbox for granted.

At this point - sure - the parent has a right to see how their kid is doing, but I maintain a child is not a commodity or investment in the strictest sense of the word. Despite wanting to protect and coddle your kid as you have been doing for the past 18 years, perhaps them learning a truly harsh lesson themselves for the first time is the only way to proceed (in the future, because you have already paid for their tuition so any further endeavor to pry into their doings is already fruitless and all you can do now is trust your child, knowing that they are not a moron and that a vast majority of us make mistakes).

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 03:18 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

A grade report could look like a lot of things. He could be giving you a legit screenshot of his degree audit or MUGSI. Or he could be copying and pasting his marks from MUGSI into MSWord. Don't assume that just because what he gave you looks fishy, it is automatically fake. The way we get our grades (MUGSI) is very budget-looking anyway.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2011 at 03:39 PM   #25
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
WOW, you know ... you have to trust other people, specially your own son, also respect his privacy .. But here knock yourself out.

http://img521.imageshack.us/i/picture1zc.png/
Damn you snitch!
Old 01-03-2011 at 04:48 PM   #26
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Our grade reports page looks ghetto, IMO.

1. Watch your child go on MUGSI
2. Make them click Grade Reports on the left side
3. Make them log in
4. Make them scroll down to the grades
5. ????
6. Profit
Old 01-03-2011 at 05:06 PM   #27
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenel View Post
I have asked my son for his grade report however what he has sent me looks fishy. I am paying around 14 000 for his tuition and living expenses so I deserve to know how he is doing! If someone could show me what a grade report is supposed to look like it would be much appreciated.
uhm correct me if i'm wrong but isn't mac insiders for students....
not annoying parents...

icecubz, L'Étoile like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 05:50 PM   #28
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Our grade reports page looks ghetto, IMO.

1. Watch your child go on MUGSI
2. Make them click Grade Reports on the left side
3. Make them log in
4. Make them scroll down to the grades
5. ????
6. Profit

Afzal, camais, icecubz, macsci like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:34 PM   #29
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I think all of this can be solved by parents instilling more independence in their kids; the seemingly general inevitability that the child will take his/her education for granted (and most often do poorly) is directly related to the parent's handing it over to them on a silver platter.

When someone has to work for something, especially something as important as their education, they will likely not take it for granted.

I'd say blame should be shared equally, for the parent not having the stones to tell their kid that their education is up to them financially (but that they, the parents, will help when they can); and for the child, as many are these days, for not having enough of a sense of autonomy to decide whether or not they truly want something for themselves.

This is pretty much why (incoming generalization) almost every first generation student I know that is the offspring of immigrant parents not only busts their ass to make as much as they can to cover that $14k, but has a greater appreciation for it (e.g. better grades, on average). Again, generalization, but most of the typical generic canadian/american types who came from upper-middle class homes in the suburbs instead of apartments, small town-homes, semis and singles take absolutely everything aside from their iPhone and their xbox for granted.

At this point - sure - the parent has a right to see how their kid is doing, but I maintain a child is not a commodity or investment in the strictest sense of the word. Despite wanting to protect and coddle your kid as you have been doing for the past 18 years, perhaps them learning a truly harsh lesson themselves for the first time is the only way to proceed (in the future, because you have already paid for their tuition so any further endeavor to pry into their doings is already fruitless and all you can do now is trust your child, knowing that they are not a moron and that a vast majority of us make mistakes).
Are you ****ing kidding me , nice essay
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:37 PM   #30
smshlyxlhl

Liked: Liked 3 Times

there is a 90% chance that Irenel is asian ROFL... not being racist...I am asian, so I know lol