MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Grade Reports ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-31-2010 09:24 AM
Where are the grade reports exactly? HooCF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-27-2010 01:51 AM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 06-06-2010 05:01 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 1 06-02-2010 08:04 PM
Grade Reports meklia Academics 3 05-31-2010 03:46 PM

What do grade reports look like?

Old 01-03-2011 at 06:37 PM   #31
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I think all of this can be solved by parents instilling more independence in their kids; the seemingly general inevitability that the child will take his/her education for granted (and most often do poorly) is directly related to the parent's handing it over to them on a silver platter.

When someone has to work for something, especially something as important as their education, they will likely not take it for granted.

I'd say blame should be shared equally, for the parent not having the stones to tell their kid that their education is up to them financially (but that they, the parents, will help when they can); and for the child, as many are these days, for not having enough of a sense of autonomy to decide whether or not they truly want something for themselves.

This is pretty much why (incoming generalization) almost every first generation student I know that is the offspring of immigrant parents not only busts their ass to make as much as they can to cover that $14k, but has a greater appreciation for it (e.g. better grades, on average). Again, generalization, but most of the typical generic canadian/american types who came from upper-middle class homes in the suburbs instead of apartments, small town-homes, semis and singles take absolutely everything aside from their iPhone and their xbox for granted.

At this point - sure - the parent has a right to see how their kid is doing, but I maintain a child is not a commodity or investment in the strictest sense of the word. Despite wanting to protect and coddle your kid as you have been doing for the past 18 years, perhaps them learning a truly harsh lesson themselves for the first time is the only way to proceed (in the future, because you have already paid for their tuition so any further endeavor to pry into their doings is already fruitless and all you can do now is trust your child, knowing that they are not a moron and that a vast majority of us make mistakes).
That's good you used spellcheck and no plagiarism good job A+
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:39 PM   #32
Juve
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshlyxlhl View Post
there is a 90% chance that Irenel is asian ROFL... not being racist...I am asian, so I know lol
Irene is your mom
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:39 PM   #33
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
That's good you used spellcheck and no plagiarism good job A+
u mad?

sounds like ur mad

Old 01-03-2011 at 06:45 PM   #34
Juve
Elite Member

Quote:
u mad?

sounds like ur mad
I just gave you a good mark on your essay you should be thankful
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:52 PM   #35
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
I just gave you a good mark on your essay you should be thankful
DONT NEED NO ACKNOWLEDGEMINTZ

JUST NEED SUM LOVIN

i used capitals in this retort.

Old 01-04-2011 at 01:02 AM   #36
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:

Your picture reminded me of this:

Old 01-04-2011 at 01:34 AM   #37
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Why bother editing in Word when you can just save and edit the source code of the page.

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM   #38
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
I think both parties have a good point here.

But at the end of the day, the mother did not ask for anyone's opinion/thoughts on if what she is doing is right . She just wanted to see what a grade report looks like and that has already been delivered.

No point for this topic to go any longer.
Which is why I provided her with some info of getting a grade report instead of trying to argue my points further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
dude... just stop.
I haven't gone too far, thanks.
Old 01-04-2011 at 08:03 AM   #39
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Heh, my neighbour's name is Irene.
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:32 AM   #40
Stellabella

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenel View Post
As a matter of fact, I'm very aware of how the 12-point scale works. I'm sorry if it took you years to figure it out - but it's really not that difficult to comprehend.
Irene, you are a mother of a 20-year-old, which puts you at late-30s at least. Seriously, most people on this forum are your child's age. Do you really have to insult them and pick fights with them?

And I agree. If you don't trust your child, you could ask him to log onto his grade report in front of you. You have no business asking around behind your son's back.
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:37 AM   #41
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

this thread is 2 pages longer than it should be, and i'm starting to think that irene is just a very subtle troll
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:44 AM   #42
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
this thread is 2 pages longer than it should be, and i'm starting to think that irene is just a very subtle troll
This thread has gone 2 pages longer because people are stupidly accusing the mom who's paying for her son's education of being "too in control of his life", not because the mom has being a troll or wanting to make this go longer
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:47 AM   #43
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
It seems more along the lines of people taking out their own parent issues on Irene. I don't see how people can think she has no business asking if the fishy grade report given to her by her son, a habitual liar, is the real deal when she is paying full expenses for him to go to university. That's $56,000 over 4 years, the woman's more than entitled to know what a grade report looks like with that. Furthermore if you consider how sketchy our grade reports look, it's no wonder anyone would double-guess it
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:49 AM   #44
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
This thread has gone 2 pages longer because people are stupidly accusing the mom who's paying for her son's education of being "too in control of his life", not because the mom has being a troll or wanting to make this go longer
that's the genius of it all, people don't even suspect a thing. A+ trolling in my books.
Old 01-04-2011 at 10:56 AM   #45
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
been.

/12char