MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Would You Do For The Person You Love? lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 86 04-29-2011 11:22 AM
A Typical Person Scuderia General Discussion 3 03-04-2011 06:13 PM
Rate the person above manaya General Discussion 4 04-25-2010 06:37 PM

how do i make myself a better person?

Old 05-13-2011 at 10:43 AM   #31
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I'm skeptical that you had 5 8:30am classes a week as well as finishing 9:30pm 5 days a week without more than a few hour gap in which to go home in between them.

The reason I mentioned engineering is because I have friends (though not at McMaster) who have 48 hours of class a week, and they're all in engineering.

However I apologize for generalizing - it seems like first year humanities students routinely have 40+ hours a week of class from the sounds of it.
I wasn't trying to say that Humanities programs are harder than Engineering courses or anything. I was just saying that it's not like we never have work or class. Every program is difficult in their own way, in my opinion the hardest part of Humanities is keeping up with the reading/writing outside of class, so you can't just generalize based on what you've heard or think you know. I did start at 8:30 5 days a week (4 lectures, 1 tutorial), but yes I did have breaks. But the point of my post was to try and show that every faculty is different in it's on ways. Also, there were days when I had 3 or 4 two hour breaks in between classes. What's the point in busing home when I'd have to go right back by time I got up the Mountain? Just don't generalize faculties if you don't have experience in those environments.

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 05-13-2011 at 11:26 AM   #32
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I wasn't trying to say that Humanities programs are harder than Engineering courses or anything. I was just saying that it's not like we never have work or class. Every program is difficult in their own way, in my opinion the hardest part of Humanities is keeping up with the reading/writing outside of class, so you can't just generalize based on what you've heard or think you know. I did start at 8:30 5 days a week (4 lectures, 1 tutorial), but yes I did have breaks. But the point of my post was to try and show that every faculty is different in it's on ways. Also, there were days when I had 3 or 4 two hour breaks in between classes. What's the point in busing home when I'd have to go right back by time I got up the Mountain? Just don't generalize faculties if you don't have experience in those environments.
Did I say humanities was easy or something earlier?

As far as I know I didn't actually bash humanities (or if I did, sorry).

I thought it was obvious most of the work in humanities is done outside of class, whereas the engineering and science based programs have more lab/class hours and also a fair amount of studying outside of class too.

I just used engineering as an example, because again, they are most likely to have a large number of class hours per week. Other faculties or programs might have students who spend a lot of time at school (bad class times, volunteering, working, etc), but like I said, I was talking about not actually having time to eat because of class. Having breaks and bad hours still allows you to eat properly.
Old 05-13-2011 at 12:30 PM   #33
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Did I say humanities was easy or something earlier?

As far as I know I didn't actually bash humanities (or if I did, sorry).

I thought it was obvious most of the work in humanities is done outside of class, whereas the engineering and science based programs have more lab/class hours and also a fair amount of studying outside of class too.

I just used engineering as an example, because again, they are most likely to have a large number of class hours per week. Other faculties or programs might have students who spend a lot of time at school (bad class times, volunteering, working, etc), but like I said, I was talking about not actually having time to eat because of class. Having breaks and bad hours still allows you to eat properly.
Wow, I definitely quoted the wrong post in my response. *facepalm* Sorry about that! I got what you were trying to say, I just fail sometimes!