MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jan 12 : Shift: Freedom! Chad Daily Game 0 01-12-2011 04:35 AM
Profs cwong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-07-2010 07:22 PM
can anyone tell me about these profs? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-29-2008 10:52 AM

Do profs shift marks DOWN?

Old 04-27-2011 at 12:19 PM   #16
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Something similar happened to me before. My suggestion is to email the professor a request for a grade break down, and state that the reason why you are asking for one is because you don't understand how your final grade is so low (and put in the email what your grade is). This gives the professor a chance to go over all of your grades before you go in, so that they can check to see what's going on. If something still seems off, then make an appointment to go in and see the exam.

When this happened to me, I did exactly what I've suggested you do, and the professor emailed me back to let me know that he had turned in all of the grades even though he hadn't marked my exam yet.
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:48 PM   #17
kim282

Liked: 0 Times

gosh mac
This has happened to me unfortunately two times at mac. First time, they have mistaken me for another student and thought I didn't write the exam and hence they initially gave me a failing mark. Second time, they simply didn't put in the second midterm mark. So frustrating. Hopefully something will work out for you.

Cheers
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:59 PM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Definitely worth going in to investigate...as a TA who was just grading some exams, I definitely know the graders are only human and mistakes can be made at many crucial points in time, including the grading of the exam itself, as well as data entry. However, we are not allowed to shift marks down in a literal sense...McMaster's "Bell curve" is not really a bell curve since in that instance, some high grades would actually shift lower. McMaster uses something called the Mobius Transform, which universally translates marks upward, by varying amounts, depending on the average, and each student's score.

If something doesn't add up, then either:

a) Mistakes were made by the prof/graders
b) Mistakes were made by you, and your exam grade was much lower than anticipated.

In either case, you deserve an explanation, so a visit to the prof is in order. Don't feel reluctant, as you're not "bothering" anyone by doing so!
Old 04-27-2011 at 01:03 PM   #19
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Can I ask what course this is?
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:33 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Okay, I talked to the prof. It sounds like what SciMania said - the grades for the whole term were higher than they wanted, so they marked the exam VERY hard. I passed the exam, but just barely. Some people failed. I will be getting my exam remarked, because I know I deserved between 70-80% in the first place. Even with this "harder marking to lower the class average", I still should have done better than 50%.

I actually had a few people PM me about the same course, so I know I'm not alone! Thanks for all your replies guys!! I feel much better now.
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:37 PM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

One thing to note is that if the re-grade doesn't result in a change of at least 1 grade point (final grade) you've got to pay for it (don't know the fee off-hand, but it's something ridiculous to discourage everyone from getting everything re-graded). I'm sure this isn't an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck! Hope the re-grade works out for you. (:
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:44 PM   #22
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
One thing to note is that if the re-grade doesn't result in a change of at least 1 grade point (final grade) you've got to pay for it (don't know the fee off-hand, but it's something ridiculous to discourage everyone from getting everything re-graded). I'm sure this isn't an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck! Hope the re-grade works out for you. (:
It's $50 I think.
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:46 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Okay, I talked to the prof. It sounds like what SciMania said - the grades for the whole term were higher than they wanted, so they marked the exam VERY hard. I passed the exam, but just barely. Some people failed. I will be getting my exam remarked, because I know I deserved between 70-80% in the first place. Even with this "harder marking to lower the class average", I still should have done better than 50%.

I actually had a few people PM me about the same course, so I know I'm not alone! Thanks for all your replies guys!! I feel much better now.
Gotta hate subjective classes.....
Old 04-28-2011 at 01:27 PM   #24
stambak

Liked: 0 Times

Yes contact your professor. In first year my mark for a political science elective was a mistake as my TA inputed an essay mark as 60% when I actually got 85%. After clearing that up with my professor, my grade went up 3 grade points.