MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry Profs Qadd Academics 7 08-25-2010 03:19 PM
Physics profs? tamtams First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2010 09:52 PM
Advice on some bio profs deone Academics 22 07-23-2010 08:54 AM
profs bio 1a03 Chevalier Academics 0 07-08-2010 06:13 PM
can anyone tell me about these profs? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-29-2008 10:52 AM

Profs

Old 07-07-2010 at 11:46 AM   #1
cwong

Liked: 5 Times

Profs
Hey ya
I want some advice on profs. I'm in lifesci and these are the profs available:

Chem 1A03 - Lock, Landry, Dumont
Math 1A03 - Haskell, Marikova

It'll be great if you have any advice .
Thxs
Old 07-07-2010 at 12:11 PM   #2
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwong View Post
Hey ya
I want some advice on profs. I'm in lifesci and these are the profs available:

Chem 1A03 - Lock, Landry, Dumont
Math 1A03 - Haskell, Marikova

It'll be great if you have any advice .
Thxs
Lock is definitely the one to choose for Chem 1A03. Don't know about Math 1A03, I've never had either of them. I suggest checking course reviews. It'll probably give you a better idea of how the class is like with that prof. Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2010 at 12:46 PM   #3
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

You can also check out ratemyprofessor.ca, it has a lot of McMaster profs on it.

Old 07-07-2010 at 12:58 PM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Definitely Lock for Chem, she is an amazing prof. As for math Haskell wasn't too bad if you can get past the fact that she makes a lot of mistakes when writing out problems and answers on the board. She was helpful and explained things well.
Old 07-07-2010 at 02:53 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Lock is amazing, and I would definitely recommend her if at all possible. However, keep in mind her popularity means her class is always packed, so if you show up late you probably won't get a seat. I personally really like Landry as well (although I've never had him as a prof, I went to a few review sessions he ran and thought he was really good).

I can't help you with the math profs though, I've never actually heard of them.
Old 07-07-2010 at 03:22 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Dumont was okay for 1E03... kinda boring at times though
Old 07-07-2010 at 04:22 PM   #7
cwong

Liked: 5 Times

Thanks so much
Now I have a question about my 2nd term teachers

Chem 1AA3 - Lock, Valliant, Berti, Stover

and that's it.
Old 07-07-2010 at 05:51 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Valliant, I think.. I might be mixing up the names; I had Hatala though.

Although I suppose if you had Locke for first term, you'll be used to his style, so why not take him again.
Old 07-07-2010 at 06:32 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Berti taught that course LIKE A BOSS! lol. i personally really liked the way he taught cuz he seemed to really know his stuff (unlike hatala, and stover).
Landry is a strange, strange little man.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-07-2010 at 06:35 PM   #10
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

lock for chem

haskell for sure for math. Really clear explanation of concepts and takes the time to get her points across.
Old 07-07-2010 at 06:36 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwong View Post
Thanks so much
Now I have a question about my 2nd term teachers

Chem 1AA3 - Lock, Valliant, Berti, Stover

and that's it.

I've had Lock, Berti and Stover as profs, and Valliant filled in for Lock for a unit and a bit, so I had him for a while as well.

Valliant is really captivating and engaging, and he completely sold me on chembio. His lectures are usually 8:30am, but if you can wake up, it's worth it. Last year, he made a mistake on something and brought the entire class (~400 people) coffee and donuts the next day. He's an amazing person and professor. I would LOVE to take a course with him (and I plan on doing so, in my fourth year).

Lock specializes in teaching, so she doesn't actually do her own research or anything--her job is to find effective ways of teaching chemistry--she is NOT your stereotypical prof that doesn't care about teaching and only cares about research, etc etc. She's very interactive and receptive to questions, and doesn't want anyone to feel like their question isn't important. She also tries to make sure everyone is on the same page with everything. She's really helpful during office hours, too.

I didn't have Berti or Stover for first-year chem (I had them for 2nd year courses). Stover (who I had for orgo part 1) is pretty good, but I found he has a tendency to make everything seem really easy, and then the midterm comes and is brutal. He's a really nice person though, very approachable. He's also great in office hours.

I've never had Berti in a large, lecture-style class (I had him for chembio inquiry, which had 33 people), but I found he was really interactive, explains things really well and makes sure you understand them, and he's told me that he LOVES teaching first-year chem, and would pick it over teaching upper year courses. When a prof loves what they're teaching, it's ALWAYS a good thing.
Old 07-07-2010 at 07:22 PM   #12
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Dr. Lock x 2
Enough said.

That lady is amazing & makes you (or atleast me) understand chem!
I almost went into ChemBio because of her.