MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bates Room Setup meremcew Introduce Yourself 1 07-29-2013 11:28 PM
Android email setup amoory Computers & Tech 0 12-01-2011 11:55 AM
Your Setup? mattatmac General Discussion 25 10-13-2011 07:07 PM
Best Setup for Those With 2 Computers mike_302 General Discussion 3 09-04-2009 12:01 AM
Ideal Course Setup Goce Academics 9 10-20-2008 03:55 AM

How do I setup my timetable??

Old 06-08-2014 at 06:16 PM   #1
Ngluding

Liked: 4 Times

How do I setup my timetable??
I am so lost with setting my time table. Where can I make a mock one so I am prepared when the courses are open. Also how do I make one, like there are co1, co2 and I know that means core but whats the difference. Also there are many lab options, which one do I choose. How do I know which courses go in which time slots and how am I suppose to match them up with my tutorials and labs. Can someone please make give some insights and directions. Im so lost :(

Thanks
Old 06-08-2014 at 06:20 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

First, know what courses you are taking the entire year. Look up your degree and find what you are taking first year. If you are taking electives, figure out which you want to take

Second, google mcmaster master timetable. Here you can search your course/core times. Example, if I am taking econ 1b03 I can see it is offered Mon wed fri 2-4pm core 1 or core 2 tues thur fri 10-11pm

Last, timetablegenerator.co m. You select all your courses and cores and it will generate a timetable for you. If you are unsure of which core to take, just put core 1, see what conflict/outcomiing timetable you get and adjust. Many people adjust to prevent conflict, not have morning class or have certain days off
Old 06-08-2014 at 06:53 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There's really no point in doing this right now.
You have mostly mandatory courses and a couple of electives, if you choose to take them now. SOLAR will build you a timetable and then you go in and adjust. There's no point in building a timetable now.
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:24 PM   #4
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

I agree with the timetable generator its a helpful tool. There is a point of doing it now that way once you get into solar you know what cores, labs or tutorials you need. In the end it will save you a lot of time. Even though you have mandatory classes and a couple electives you'll at least know which to change if they overlap.
Old 06-09-2014 at 05:28 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderstruck View Post
I agree with the timetable generator its a helpful tool. There is a point of doing it now that way once you get into solar you know what cores, labs or tutorials you need. In the end it will save you a lot of time. Even though you have mandatory classes and a couple electives you'll at least know which to change if they overlap.
In first year, there are so many sections of everything that you're not going to have problems with overlapping courses like you will in upper years.
You get built a timetable and assigned sections, so you don't need to know your cores/labs/tutorials when you go on SOLAR the first time. Once you get your schedule, then you can figure out what you want to change, but sections that you want will likely be full. You won't end up getting the schedule that you make up ahead of time.

In upper years, you want to see if classes conflict since there are less sections, and you may choose different electives based on the times they are offered (again, since there are less sections, this matters more than in first year). Neither of those reasons really apply to a first-year engineering student.

If you want to do it then obviously no one can stop you, but in August when you log on to SOLAR to try to change your timetable, you'll realize that it was a waste of time. It would only be useful in this case AFTER you have your schedule and know what sections are available.
Old 06-16-2014 at 03:27 PM   #6
YashsWay

Liked: 1 Time

My and my friends used this website to make a mock timetable based on prof ratings for first year.
timetablegenerator[dot]com

The difference between the cores will probably be days of the week/time/prof. For example CO1 might be taught by Mr.X on Monday Tuesday and Friday. CO2 might be taught by Mr.Y on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Same subject, different times/profs.

Make sure you don't put multiple labs in the same day. Spread them out or put them towards the end of the week if possible. That's what I did to spread the workload.

Tutorials work the same way.
Old 06-16-2014 at 10:07 PM   #7
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

www.timetablegenerato r.com is the best website to make a mock timetable for your courses.
Once you have the desired courses you want to take, look up the master timetable on google or go to registrar.mcmaster.ca and type "master timetable" on the search bar.

As the above poster mentioned the different cores/labs/tutorials have different times and sometimes different prof. Depending on how your timetable works out, you just have to play around with the different cores, labs and tutorials until you get the ones that looks right for you.

Good luck in choosing your courses