MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone took Japanese 1Z06? mimi8330 Academics 4 09-13-2012 07:49 PM
Are deferred exams generally harder than exams written during exam period? User22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-15-2012 03:04 PM
Japanese 2Z03 akikokoyoki 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-11-2011 07:05 PM
offer/summer school jodiianto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-13-2011 05:31 PM
Japanese course Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-06-2010 11:23 PM

Do they generally offer Japanese in the Summer?

Old 06-22-2013 at 05:20 PM   #1
chibiceci

Liked: 0 Times

Do they generally offer Japanese in the Summer?
I wanted to take Chinese and Japanese, but I can't because I would go over the credit limit. I looked at the courses this summer before and I saw they had offered Japanese in the summer, but not Chinese, do they generally offer Japanese in the summer? If so, then I will take it out of my schedule
Old 06-22-2013 at 06:39 PM   #2
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Last two years they have offered Japanese in the summer. I am assuming so though two data points isn't really enough to make a definitive claim. You may want to talk to the professor running the course.
Old 06-23-2013 at 03:52 AM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Is Chinese still being offered? I thought the confucius institute closed this year and classes would no longer be held. o.o

anyway, you're lucky to have a spot in japanese for the school year! there are typically half the number of spots during the summer so you should keep in mind that it may be harder to get in if it's offered. but yes, definitely email dr. iwai and ask her about whether they'll offer it next summer.
Old 06-23-2013 at 08:42 AM   #4
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Is Chinese still being offered? I thought the confucius institute closed this year and classes would no longer be held. o.o

Yes, the Confucius Institute at McMaster is no more. Some disagreement over staffing, etc.

There is an obvious intent to continue to offer Chinese through the Linguistics and Languages Department, even though generally interest in language study has declined. These positions are being filled with "Sessional" instructors, who are hired and paid by the course.

One might argue that such assignments are not as desirable as tenure-track appointments, but there are a lot of eager Ph.D.s out there looking for work, and perhaps a chance for a foot-in-the-door. As a student, you get the disadvantage that there is not always a track record to look up before you sign up, but sometimes you can luck into someone who is energetic and eager to do well.
Old 06-23-2013 at 08:51 AM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post

anyway, you're lucky to have a spot in japanese for the school year! there are typically half the number of spots during the summer so you should keep in mind that it may be harder to get in if it's offered. but yes, definitely email dr. iwai and ask her about whether they'll offer it next summer.
Many of the language courses are being taught by staff whose contract requires them to offer a course in the summer, something that not every prof wishes to do. The fact that she has been doing this is a good clue that this is part of her terms of employment.

On the other hand, schedules can be modified in the future. There's enough flux going on with languages these days, that the picture is not clear even from semester to semester. It's all about numbers and funding.