MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best pick up lines killza Dating & Relationships 56 10-09-2010 12:15 AM
Osap Pick-up jdia Financial Aid 7 01-05-2010 10:13 PM
When to pick up OSAP? IvanN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-24-2009 09:11 PM
Please help me pick my 2 electives VoyozooT Academics 8 08-13-2009 12:15 AM
When Can I pick my courses? Mac12 Academics 3 06-24-2009 09:18 AM

Do we get to pick our profs??

Old 06-30-2010 at 11:14 AM   #1
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Do we get to pick our profs??
So I just finished registering for all courses on SOLAR, I am sure many of you are either happy to get it done or still stressing over it!

So we will be given our timetable by Aug. 9th and I assume that McMaster pick our tutorials and etc? If that is the case, I must say it is actually really EASY to register for courses!

Here is the question I'd like to ask for any upper year students:

Do we get to pick our profs? When I registered on Solar, I couldn't find any prof names or anything like that. So does SOLAR automatically place us to assigned class (meaning assigned prof/tutorial)?
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:16 AM   #2
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

Normally, if you look at the Master Timetable, it would say the core, and the profs assigned to that core.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:18 AM   #3
dlee

Thanks for your QUICK response. So you are saying profs are assigned to us?

Or are you saying that once the timetable is up, we can pick and choose?
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:20 AM   #4
PinkSapphire

Well, it depends on the course. If it's a really big course, then you have a choice to pick which prof you want by choosing which timeslot they are alotted in. If it's not so much of a big course (like the ones that I'm taking) it's normally chosen for you.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:26 AM   #5
dlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Well, it depends on the course. If it's a really big course, then you have a choice to pick which prof you want by choosing which timeslot they are alotted in. If it's not so much of a big course (like the ones that I'm taking) it's normally chosen for you.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I never saw timeslot when I was registering on SOLAR.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:31 AM   #6
sf

Liked: 36 Times

When the timetables are released in August you can go into SOLAR and adjust your schedule to have certain profs...assuming it fits and there are spots open

dlee likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:32 AM   #7
PinkSapphire

Nope, not SOLAR. The Master Timetable. Sorry for the confusion.

Normally, you can make a mock timetable using the Master Timetable from this website:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/coursett.html

With that, you choose the mandatory courses you need as well as your electives, and it says the timeslot (Ie from what to what time the class runs to). Sometimes it also says the prof assigned to that timeslot.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:33 AM   #8
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

SOLAR doesn't show you the times, just the core, tutorial and lab sections. Your timetable will tell you the time of your core and if there are multiple cores for a class, you can change the core when SOLAR re-opens.

You can also check the time slots in the master timetable and it will tell you the corresponding prof.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:41 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Timetables will be released early august, and SOLAR will reopen again after that. Once solar reopens, you can change your sections to whatever you want
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:43 AM   #10
dlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Nope, not SOLAR. The Master Timetable. Sorry for the confusion.

Normally, you can make a mock timetable using the Master Timetable from this website:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/coursett.html

With that, you choose the mandatory courses you need as well as your electives, and it says the timeslot (Ie from what to what time the class runs to). Sometimes it also says the prof assigned to that timeslot.

No worries! It seems like alot of people try to the mock timetable but is it really the worth time to do it?
I mean, SOLAR will get the Timetable done for you, I don't see what is the big fuss. Maybe I'm missing something here.

So we do get the option to pick our profs AFTER the timeable is released? We can't pick now eh?
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:45 AM   #11
sf

People make a mock timetable to make sure that there are no conflicts and that everything fits. You can also try out different combinations of cores/labs/tutorials to get a schedule you like. When timetables are released you can adjust the one you are given to get the one you want.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:46 AM   #12
sf

After your personal timetable is released in August you can adjust it to get the profs that you want.

dlee says thanks to sf for this post.