MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Reading Week lorend General Discussion 0 02-13-2008 02:33 PM
Reading Week smiley12 General Discussion 2 10-25-2007 04:53 PM
Reading Week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-16-2007 04:04 PM
Reading Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-12-2007 10:32 PM

Do you have to leave rez during reading week?

Old 02-07-2010 at 01:12 PM   #1
swimmerman22

Liked: 0 Times

Do you have to leave rez during reading week?
Does anyone know if we have to leave rez during reading week?
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:17 PM   #2
conradchi

Nope, you're free to stay! Not all of the food places will be open though - Commons is closed, but La Piazza will be open (I believe with reduced hours).
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:12 PM   #3
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

Why would you wanna stay in rez during Reading Week?
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:35 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalprasher View Post
.... Serious question?
Eff, people say I'm ignorant.

Maybe OP can't afford to go anywhere or doesn't have anywhere to go to, just as a few suggestions?
If it wasn't for my friend paying my way up to Ottawa, I'd be stuck in residence too (if I still lived in residence)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-07-2010 at 02:50 PM   #5
swimmerman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalprasher View Post
the thing is is that if i go home im just going to be alone there. like what i mean is that, my mom is currently in france working there. shes been there for about 5 months now and wont be back till next september. and my dads a pilot so at most hed be home for 1/2 days. also, i have no brothers or sisters, so id be literlyl alone for a whole weeek. so thats what got me thinking if its better for me just to stay here for the week. also im from aurora so it is a decent length from there to here.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:51 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I stayed in res for half of my reading week in first year.

There is more for me to do in Hamilton than there is at home, so I was more entertained being here.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-07-2010 at 03:00 PM   #7
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerman22 View Post
the thing is is that if i go home im just going to be alone there. like what i mean is that, my mom is currently in france working there. shes been there for about 5 months now and wont be back till next september. and my dads a pilot so at most hed be home for 1/2 days. also, i have no brothers or sisters, so id be literlyl alone for a whole weeek. so thats what got me thinking if its better for me just to stay here for the week. also im from aurora so it is a decent length from there to here.

I hear yeah. Hope you find something fun to do that will get you through.
Old 02-07-2010 at 03:04 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

There will probably be other students staying in your residence during reading week, not everyone goes home. International students generally stay, and others who live far enough way that it might not be worth the money/time to go home for a week. You might have enough people to get a group together to dome something over the break like movies/dinner etc.

Presumably some CAs stay in the building too since students do stay so they might be able to help you organize something or help you figure out who else is around for the week.
Old 02-07-2010 at 03:52 PM   #9
swimmerman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
There will probably be other students staying in your residence during reading week, not everyone goes home. International students generally stay, and others who live far enough way that it might not be worth the money/time to go home for a week. You might have enough people to get a group together to dome something over the break like movies/dinner etc.

Presumably some CAs stay in the building too since students do stay so they might be able to help you organize something or help you figure out who else is around for the week.
hopefully atleast someone stays. then i wont be 1000000% alone.
Old 02-07-2010 at 04:02 PM   #10
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

You don't have to leave, but the entire Campus will be a ghost town.
Old 02-07-2010 at 04:04 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Um, not true.

Undergrads have the week off. All graduate students still have classes and all other faculty departments as well as services are open. Some may have decreased hours, but the university doesn't shut down during reading week.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-07-2010 at 04:04 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I stayed back for a few days. its fine, just everything more or less is closed.
Old 02-07-2010 at 05:02 PM   #13
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

Yea, theres def gonna be other students staying here. One of my friends can't go home since he lives out of province. Plus if all else fails, just download a bunch of movies/series/games and theres a whole week of fun right there XD
Old 02-07-2010 at 07:53 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
I love when campus is dead. I worked at school during the summer and there was practically no one here. You could actually sit in the student centre and eat your lunch!! It sounds ridiculous, I know
Old 02-07-2010 at 08:02 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I love when campus is dead. I worked at school during the summer and there was practically no one here. You could actually sit in the student centre and eat your lunch!! It sounds ridiculous, I know
Able to sit down in the student center and eat your lunch?
Surely, you jest!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.