MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 Textbook- Should i be taking notes or should i just highlight stuff? lalalola2011 Academics 4 09-26-2012 09:32 AM
Anyone else taking/know someone who's taking Theatre&Film 3FF3? marcie Academics 0 09-13-2012 04:10 PM
Taking Lecture Notes - Computer or Notes arestang First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2012 10:27 AM
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM
taking notes tips? darkstar Academics 20 09-20-2009 01:23 PM

How do you like taking notes?

Old 12-27-2012 at 09:48 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

How do you like taking notes?
I've seen profs give me a variety of notes from word documents, powerpoint documents, or pdfs.

I used to think I liked taking notes on microsoft word, but as more and more of my profs started using powerpoint, I realized how helpful it is.

It's a lot easier to break up the information into smaller pieces of information and it's more likely to stick in your head in my opinion. I'd rather read a 100 slide powerpoint than a 10 page word document of notes. But to me, word documents look more professional.

Which method do you prefer and why?
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:12 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Notebook and pen

I'm old fashioned, I guess. I find writing things down helps me retain the information and I don't like dragging my laptop to school everyday. I do have an iPad, but I don't really use it for notes. Every semester I usually have a few classes that are basically just filling in/adding to PowerPoint slides so I just print them out and use a binder for those classes.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:13 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

For me, i only take notes in class to stay awake and to familiarize myself with the material.

I never look at my notes or the profs notes when i study at home, i only study from the book and do homework/assignments. Also, i always take notes in class using the traditional pen/pencil-paper method. I don't use any fancy technology or anything

Last edited by jim1 : 12-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:15 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I'm very old fashioned :(. I just bring a clipboard with lined-paper and jot down important points. I think laptops are a big distraction for me, and I'd benefit more from actually listening as opposed to furiously typing everything down.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:22 PM   #5
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

i dont go to class, so at the end of the semster i post a thread on macinsiders asking for notes >:C

Angoose likes this.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:28 PM   #6
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Power point is better for me because it is simple. It's easier to read and I am less likely to procrastinate. If I had to read a 10 pg word doc, I am more likely to NOT do it because it looks dreadful.

I print notes with 6 slides per page double sided. When I have my notes neat and structured, I feel more motivated to write on it. Also, with 6 slides per page, I can remember better with spatial memory because I can say "Oh, that part about amino acids was on the lower left corner of the page". This is for me a way to store info in my brain by giving them a specific location on the page. I know that sounds weird but it works for me

naval23 likes this.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:30 PM   #7
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Power point is better for me because it is simple. It's easier to read and I am less likely to procrastinate. If I had to read a 10 pg word doc, I am more likely to NOT do it because it looks dreadful.

I print notes with 6 slides per page double sided. When I have my notes neat and structured, I feel more motivated to write on it. Also, with 6 slides per page, I can remember better with spatial memory because I can say "Oh, that part about amino acids was on the lower left corner of the page". This is for me a way to store info in my brain by giving them a specific location on the page. I know that sounds weird but it works for me
I agree! And powerpoints, I feel like I make more progress on them. And it is more structured, broken down into smaller pieces of info so it doesn't feel like you're reading an essay, and you're right! It is easier to remember where you read it!
Old 12-27-2012 at 11:02 PM   #8
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

if the prof posts ppt I usually just add to them but my program has a policy of not posting notes so it is rare for me.

I find that in my upper year classes, about 7 out of 10 profs use no notes or a brief outline to reference and just talk so I use mac word notepad with headings then bullets. I used to use one note for PC which i though was a lot better than notepad. I have found it really hard to create ppt as you go if a prof does nothing but talk.

I almost always convert my notes to ppt when studying. Like a few others said, for some reason it is just easier to learn off ppt than page after page of notes. I've had classes with more than 1000 slides and it still seems less daunting than 100 pages of notes. I find converting them provides a good opportunity to read and refine the information and creating slides by typing them not cutting and pasting helps with retention.
Old 12-27-2012 at 11:39 PM   #9
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I don't know why but I feel like typing almost everything the prof says (thats relevant) and then writing out a summary or main points of the lecture. Yes it does take a bit more time but it helps you review.
Old 12-28-2012 at 07:30 AM   #10
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

I use a tablet-PC with a stylus to mark up Powerpoint slides, writing on my tablet for math-based courses and typing in Word for those that are neither. I usually make lecture summaries after too. It takes time, but it is worth it. It is well-studied that the highest-achieving students in university study all of their courses every day.
Old 12-28-2012 at 10:30 AM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

depends on the class... this year ive:
- typed on the powerpoint slide
- printed powerpoint and wrote note over it
- 2 classes i didnt take notes... just read along on my laptop
- took notes in a notebook for one class... i find that for classes where the prof doesnt post notes and u must take your own, things seem to stick more,.. no crutches to fall back on and you are responsible for your own aids
Old 12-28-2012 at 03:48 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I only took notes in one of my classes this term..until I realized I didn't need to, so before the first round of midterms, I stopped taking notes all together.
Old 01-07-2013 at 05:38 PM   #13
Cumulonimbus

Liked: 0 Times

I take notes on the note section of powerpoints. If you are a visual learner, seeing the notes below the slide can help with understanding/memorizing the content.
Old 01-07-2013 at 06:09 PM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I fall asleep in class then read the textook/course material and make my own notes later.

Notebook + pen works the best tho. Tried tablet, laptop, powerpoint printouts etc. I like a simple blank printer paper attached to a clipboard.