MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bus stop number? murgling Automotive & Transportation 3 03-06-2011 10:39 AM
Stop getting it on is the MUSC Rossclot General Discussion 73 04-10-2010 04:41 PM
videos to watch while procrastinating... lorend General Discussion 6 01-10-2008 08:06 AM
Bus Stop redex General Discussion 4 10-09-2007 11:46 PM

how do you stop procrastinating?

Old 12-02-2012 at 07:51 PM   #1
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

how do you stop procrastinating?
I am procrastinating as I write this thread. So what are some tips to stop yourself from procrastinating? Remembering how much my exams are worth and the fact that I know very little about the material isn't enough to motivate me
Old 12-02-2012 at 07:53 PM   #2
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I am procrastinating as I write this thread. So what are some tips to stop yourself from procrastinating? Remembering how much my exams are worth and the fact that I know very little about the material isn't enough to motivate me
Switch off your computer and all other electronic devices.
Old 12-02-2012 at 07:53 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

but i need my computer to study :(
Old 12-02-2012 at 07:55 PM   #4
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

You don't.

You simply procrastinate until the point you begin procrastinating about procrastinating, and end up studying.

It's one of Nature's lesser known cycles.

Last edited by Zachary : 12-02-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: There.

Old 12-02-2012 at 07:59 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I am in the same situation, it's ridiculous that i am procrastinating for the exams :/ Last year this video kindda helped me to study and stop procrastinating:

I am gonna watch it again and hopefully get back to studying

Last edited by jim1 : 12-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Old 12-02-2012 at 08:00 PM   #6
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

I procrastinate through doing things I hate even more than studying..
(ie.. if I get bored of reading over my notes, I get on the treadmill.. then when I'm dripping sweat and running out of breath, I switch back to studying...)

And whenever I reach a certain amount of studying I'd wanted done, I reward myself with 30 minutes of free time.. I've been watching "whose line is it anyway" ..and it keeps me motivated, because I force myself to study as much as I can to reach the next reward of catching another episode.

..different things work for different people..

good luck.

jim1, Marooner, Swampis like this.
Old 12-02-2012 at 08:18 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I feel like visiting Mac Insiders isn't helping my situation here ... :-(

Old 12-02-2012 at 08:19 PM   #8
Paran S.
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 5 Times

you're procrastinating cuz you're scared.
Old 12-02-2012 at 08:47 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

There's no way to convey how to get past this. You just have to decide to treat the present as precious and your time as valuable. I feel so much regret for wasting my pre-uni life on dumb stuff, this motivates me to do better.

Think of it this way... endlessly entertaining yourself is doing absolutely nothing to better your life, and education is infinitely valuable. Pretty a majority of first world, fair-off young people do nothing but live for pleasure, try to strive to set yourself apart, at least a little bit. Cutting off internet is only addresses the symptom.

The most basic and gradual way of teaching yourself away from those sorts of bad behaviours is get little segments of work done, and partially reward yourself. I've found in the past that setting a 30 minute timer on my phone or egg-timer helped set an absolute goal. Don't denigrate any small accomplishment you make, because training your mind to concentrate takes the same sort of path that riding a bike, or learning a sport will. Don't set your standards too high.

Some people also try to (and stress themselves out) by just locking themselves away to cram down for their test in silence.. this does nothing to reinforce positive ideas about the idea of studying, it associates the activity with stress, anxiety, and discomfort. Listen to music, reward yourself, do so with a friend, etc.

Kind of ramble-y, but I hope I got my point across.

icecubz, jim1, kangs6 all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 12-02-2012 at 09:26 PM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Get a friend to change the wifi password on you (at your home). Seriously...
That forces you to the library. Do NOT bring your charger for your laptop (if you have one). Then ur laptop becomes a quick reference and back to standby sort of thing rather than a distraction that is always on.

I also found that changing areas was very handy. I would go from basement Thode (for 1hr max) to the first floor and socialize a bit more while still studying then go back to the basement or second floor for much more intense session of study.

During those days where you have to study all day on dont have an exam try going to the gym. Its very helpful.
Old 12-02-2012 at 10:07 PM   #11
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

What I found is I set a section of work to do and I don't let myself stop until it's done. I tend to take somewhat longer breaks (1/2-1 hour) but I study a good solid 2 hours with minimal distractions.

For me I found the biggest thing was to avoid bringing my laptop when I study. I print off some stuff if I didn't print it out during the year and bring it with me. This means you can't procrastinate nearly as long since unless you have a fancy phone, you get bored a lot faster with it.
Old 12-03-2012 at 12:42 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

If you have chrome, use strict pomodero. it lets you add a list of websites you want to block. then when you enable it, it blocks those sites for a set amount of time (25 minutes for default, but you can change it to whatever you want), so you can't access them. then when the work period is over, you get a break (5 minutes is default, but again, you can change it). I find it's helpful so long as you're not super impulsive and tempted to completely disable the app/use a different browser lulz.

as others have mentioned, I like to split my work up into sections in a checklist. I find it gratifying to get tasks done that way.
Old 12-03-2012 at 01:12 PM   #13
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

Tip1: study at library. surround by many people studying, you know exams are here, "I need to study".
tip 2: make plans, know what you need to study, allocate days for it.
tip 3: reward yourself after studying. i.e buy yourself a good lunch and dinner, play some games, watch a movie after studying.
tip 4: force yourself to study certain hours, or else you can't eat dinner, or whatever you love ( you won't let yourself have that reward)
tip5: think of others as competitors, you want to win, you want good marks, then it drives you to study.
tip 6: basically, motivate and reward yourself.
tip 7: wanting to succeed

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-03-2012 at 01:48 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Try studying at the library, doesn't work for everyone
Study in small groups of ~5 total
Make a schedule. Study few hours half-1hour break etc
turn off your computer. Better yet just download all the pdfs you need and unplug the internet
Old 12-03-2012 at 02:34 PM   #15
Chopinetude

Liked: 15 Times

i always do, i never stop procrastinating

Desda likes this.