MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Work Programs. Can it count towards co-op? julianface General Discussion 2 03-14-2011 06:30 AM
Another TA-related question Mowicz General Discussion 4 11-14-2009 01:54 PM
McMaster Student Work on Display at Youth Arts Jam lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-30-2009 04:21 PM
CA related question fasailuddin Academics 3 05-07-2009 12:18 PM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM

Do you think you'll work in a field related to your education at McMaster?

Old 03-28-2012 at 02:26 PM   #1
Annie

Liked: 8 Times

Do you think you'll work in a field related to your education at McMaster?
There was a similar question posted on McMaster Alumni Group on LinkedIn. It was interesting to see where people had ended up.

What major are you studying now? And do you think you'll be in a job related to your field of study at McMaster?
Old 03-28-2012 at 03:06 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I took Political Science at Mac and didn't like any of the jobs available to me. So now I'm in college for something completely different.
Old 03-28-2012 at 03:29 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I took Biology at Mac. I'm doing graduate studies right now but I'm certain that I'll find work related to my education at Mac.

In most cases though, the content that you study in university may be unrelated to your future work. It's the skills and habits that you develop, and the people that you meet that have more bearing on your job prospects.

Old 03-28-2012 at 03:59 PM   #4
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

I would honestly severely dislike to be doing an office job, with a BSc., i would much rather go into graduate studies (which I plan to do) and directly use my knowledge. I don't see myself as one of those people who extrapolates their skills-I'm one of those people who went to uni to gain the degree to get the job, not necessarily the skills (although OFCOURSE I would be using them...but I wouldn't think of getting a job based on my "skills")

then again, that's just me

EDIT: I wouldn't get a job SOLELY based on my skillls, I need my knowledge used too.

VitaSoy likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 04:01 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I have no idea, it would be nice to...
Old 03-28-2012 at 04:17 PM   #6
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

While I would like to use what I paid to learn and what I love to study (no, I do not want to be a teacher), unless I become an editor/publisher like I want, I don't really expect to get a job directly related to my field of studies. While the skills necessary to perform the job may be a result of my studies, I doubt that I will be doing something directly related to English Literature or Cultural Studies.
Old 03-28-2012 at 04:30 PM   #7
kruizej

Liked: 0 Times

nursing... certainly hope i end with a career
Old 03-28-2012 at 09:41 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

absolutely not. there is nothing out there in my related field.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Desda, tyrant like this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 09:47 PM   #9
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I really don't want to be rude or offensive or anything, seriously don't, but why did you pick your major when you know there's no jobs in it after uni? I understand it's interesting, you love it, etc.etc., but wouldn't it be a better value for your money if you knew you had a chance of getting a job afterwards?

just wondering, DKM
Old 03-28-2012 at 09:56 PM   #10
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

Well considering I'm in med rad, pretty sure I'll end up in a related job
Old 03-29-2012 at 11:12 AM   #11
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
It's probably for the best. The underpriviledged people you would end up trying to help tend to be very ignorant, and probably dislike all homosexuals, and would attempt to assault you. Not being mean, just saying, not everyone is as open minded as we are at mac.

drpatel likes this.
Old 03-29-2012 at 01:56 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Yes I believe so, or probably a job where I can apply my knowledge I gain from here into the workplace.
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:36 PM   #13
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
I really don't want to be rude or offensive or anything, seriously don't, but why did you pick your major when you know there's no jobs in it after uni? I understand it's interesting, you love it, etc.etc., but wouldn't it be a better value for your money if you knew you had a chance of getting a job afterwards?

just wondering, DKM
There was sarcasm in that post. I already have a job lined up, I start next month. 780 hours of field experience is helpful like that. Even though the social service sector is kind of crappy right now, I'd like to think I'm at an advantage of holding a BSW and not just a BA in sociology.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:37 PM   #14
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
It's probably for the best. The underpriviledged people you would end up trying to help tend to be very ignorant, and probably dislike all homosexuals, and would attempt to assault you. Not being mean, just saying, not everyone is as open minded as we are at mac.
I work mainly with people who have schizophrenia, and several homophobic clients. I can handle it

James CW

tyrant likes this.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:08 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
I work mainly with people who have schizophrenia, and several homophobic clients. I can handle it
just as long as they don't lynch you....