MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:39 AM   #1
Theexe1

Liked: 0 Times

is this doable?
can i take 4 courses a semester and then take one in summer school such as policitcal sciene and still get the 30 credits? Or should i take 5 a semester.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:51 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

It's doable, although I'd recommend just taking 5 courses (15 units) both semesters so that you aren't forced to take summer school.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:57 AM   #3
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Its recommended to take 5, but if you really want to come during the summer for one course then sure.

Old 08-14-2009 at 10:03 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Technically you could. However, there are some things you should consider:

- some courses aren't offered in the summer
- the Dean's honours list/entrance award is based on 30 units (will confirm...)
- some graduate schools (e.g. law), might hold it against you or not consider your summer marks.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:59 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you are planning to take summer school courses, I would take a full load in first year anyways. You always want to put extra credits into taking less courses your last year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-14-2009 at 11:02 AM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes, you definitely need 30 units before summer to be considered for Dean's Honour List or Provost's List.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:12 AM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yes, you definitely need 30 units before summer to be considered for Dean's Honour List or Provost's List.
What are these lists that you speak of?
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:15 AM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Dean's List and Provost's List are both awarded for academic merit. They are simply indications of a student's academic standing.

For Dean's list you need to have a sessional average of 9.5
and for Provost's list you need a 12.0
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:20 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It basically looks good on your resume ^-^
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:50 AM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I would recommend dividing the load equally for all the reasons mentioned above, plus this one.
This is your first year of university and while it may seem advisable to have a lighter first semester so you can adjust, having one that's too different from next semester poses serious problems (and a difference of one course can be quite a difference).

This is because, while you're adjusting to university, you might as well adjust to it and run at full steam, instead of breaking in gently and then worrying when you run into difficulties later. Having a full course load in first semester forces you to adjust to the new demands, pressures, expectations and lifestyle changes that university will bring about. It also means that you'll be more accustomed to this sort of thinking, and this way of organization when you enter 2nd semester. You will hopefully do excellently in 2nd semester, even better than 1st, given that the confusion, the apprehension and the nerves are eliminated and you're able to withstand the daily grind better.

(Plus, if you're the sort of person who needs a longer vacation to recharge or you may have plans for the summer, then it may be better to save the opportunity. (Also, if you have your courses done now, you can look at getting ahead and not catching up during the summer by doing some 2nd year courses. ))

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-14-2009 at 02:14 PM   #11
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

usually people in health science just get on to that honour list. they probably have it the eaisist first.

But if you want you can take 4 course but its better if you take 5. Try taking it during the year... if you can't handle you can drop it before a certain date.
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:57 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
usually people in health science just get on to that honour list. they probably have it the eaisist first.

But if you want you can take 4 course but its better if you take 5. Try taking it during the year... if you can't handle you can drop it before a certain date.
Sept 21 for term 1 and 3 courses. Jan 13 for term 2 courses. After that you'll only get a certain percentage of your fees back based on how far into the semester you are.
Old 08-14-2009 at 07:39 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
It's basically like Honour Roll. Dean's list is roughly an 80 average, while Provost's List is ... 90 average I think? Yeah. But they do it with the 12-point system.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:43 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
It's basically like Honour Roll. Dean's list is roughly an 80 average, while Provost's List is ... 90 average I think? Yeah. But they do it with the 12-point system.
Provost List is ALL courses over 90%. Having 1 course under 90 will bring your average from a 12 to an 11.XX.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:08 PM   #15
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

I have a quick question, can we go to other professor's lecture? Just in case i dun like my prof i can just sneak in other lectures lol