MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Note Taker lisar Academics 3 09-19-2012 08:01 AM
Note taking hello12311 Academics 2 09-05-2012 06:18 PM
How long is a doctor's note valid? DMe3 General Discussion 8 03-11-2012 03:30 AM
Doctor's note Phantom Academics 6 01-24-2012 02:43 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

Doctor's note help

Old 10-20-2013 at 06:19 PM   #1
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

Doctor's note help
Hi guys, I wanted to know that is the Doc's note the same as an MSAF? as in does it provide a relief of 5 days like the Msaf? or only a couple of days?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2013 at 07:48 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

MSAFs are valid for missed work within a 5-day period. What happens with the stuff you missed during that period is up to the individual profs.
Doctor's notes are valid for the period that the doctor specifies. But like the MSAF, what happens to the stuff you miss is up to the prof.

Thinker likes this.
Old 10-20-2013 at 09:55 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I had to get a doctor's note to extend my MSAF once and when I showed it to the office, my MSAF was ... I guess I would call it re-enabled so I could use another.

Thinker likes this.
Old 10-20-2013 at 10:54 PM   #4
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I had to get a doctor's note to extend my MSAF once and when I showed it to the office, my MSAF was ... I guess I would call it re-enabled so I could use another.
So does that mean by showing the note, you got a new msaf which is generally of 5 day leave?
Old 10-20-2013 at 11:12 PM   #5
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Hi guys, I wanted to know that is the Doc's note the same as an MSAF? as in does it provide a relief of 5 days like the Msaf? or only a couple of days?

Thanks

No, doctor's notes and MSAF are different.
While MSAF gives you up to 5 days of absence, doctor's note only excuses you for the duration specified by the doctor.
There's a special form that the doctor has to fill out (found on McMaster website).
On that form, there's a space where doctors indicate the duration of your symptoms.
So if he/she writes Oct 20 - Oct 21, you're not excused from things you miss on Oct 22.

They're very strict about this, so you might want to be careful with that.
When I submitted my note last year, my advisor even asked me why my doctor wrote down my symptoms as "on-going".

And about resetting the MSAF when you submit your doctor's notes..
That person just got lucky.
Normally, if you use MSAF once, your chance is gone for the term

Thinker says thanks to ta2012 for this post.