MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 1a03/1m03 profs ashlaaayyyyy Academics 1 06-21-2012 02:42 PM
profs chem 1a03 Chevalier Academics 4 08-16-2010 05:31 PM
profs chem 1AA3 Chevalier Academics 6 07-09-2010 12:05 AM
profs bio 1a03 Chevalier Academics 0 07-08-2010 06:13 PM

Does anyone know who the Chem 1A03 profs are?

Old 06-22-2012 at 08:36 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Does anyone know who the Chem 1A03 profs are?
The only one I see is Goward. Will we able to see who else is teaching it? I want to figure out which professor will be my best match to my learning strategies.
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:47 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
The only one I see is Goward. Will we able to see who else is teaching it? I want to figure out which professor will be my best match to my learning strategies.
It will probably show up eventually...Pippa Lock will probably be teaching a section, she's super popular, but I do know a small minority of people who don't really like her teaching style. In the past, Dr Stover, Dr Landry, Dr Berti have all taught it, as well as some others that I don't remember. None of them are bad, but yeah it does depend on your learning style. Each prof has some people who absolutely love them and some that don't. The only way to figure that out for yourself though is to actually experience it. They all use the same notes and everything, so that's not an issue. They have instructional team meetings and everything, try to keep things as similar as possible between the sections.

naval23 says thanks to nerual for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:59 PM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I would say the chem department in general is pretty amazing. I was really impressed in first year. Wish the same could be same for the bio department

naval23 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

Milk.Tea, nerual, Rayine, Serene like this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 12:08 AM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Chemistry has their shit together. Rest of science needs to step up.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

naval23 says thanks to Rayine for this post.

Old 07-08-2012 at 06:21 PM   #5
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

I've heard Landry gives test review sessions that are really helpful according to students.

Do the other chem profs like Lock, Goward, Stover, and berti do this?

And in your opinion, in terms of clarity, are there any profs better than other ones? I've heard good things about Goward, Lock, and Landry.
Old 07-08-2012 at 06:23 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Incoming first years:

Do not worry about chem, as Bernard/Kevin said they have their shit down so well its unreal. Don't worry about who's teaching as they are really all great teachers. And keep in mind you can always go to Landry's test reviews if you really want to.

naval23 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 08:27 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i dont think profs matter at all for first year courses. you all end up with the same resources and it ends up being self teaching anyways.

naval23 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:41 PM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
you all end up with the same resources and it ends up being self teaching anyways.
I would disagree with saying all the courses end up being self-taught, its definitely a personal thing whether you learn better form a book or from a prof

naval23 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:49 PM   #9
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

Last year the professors were: Dumont, Landry and Brock

naval23 says thanks to Schen for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:59 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
I would disagree with saying all the courses end up being self-taught, its definitely a personal thing whether you learn better form a book or from a prof
i guess so. but classes like chem, bio, math and physics im sure people would go over everything themselves in even greater detail anyways. profs may give you a basic idea but in the end i know i always found myself going over everything and learning it on my own.

naval23 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 11:08 PM   #11
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Agreed, 90% of my profs were useless.

jim1 likes this.