MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mohawk 1Z03 lorend 1st Year Course Reviews 2 12-03-2011 07:34 PM
Bus from Mohawk college campus to Mac? Flash AhhAhh Automotive & Transportation 8 09-05-2011 12:06 PM
Mohawk > Btech > Masters wanna b eng. Academics 23 02-23-2011 10:16 AM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM
SUM 41 is at Mohawk College THURSDAY! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-11-2008 07:22 AM

does anyone know if marketing is good in mohawk

Old 05-10-2013 at 06:34 PM   #16
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally View Post
Yeah but mohawk has a coop program as well and I've read their graduate summary they make decent amount of money and their employment rate is 93% look at this http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/Documents/Research+Docs+(KPI$!2 c+OSAP$!2c+Grad)/GraduateEmployment201 0-11.pdf
Never trust these salary reports. A lot of programs use them to attract students to their program. In general, it is a good idea to study something you are interested in. It seems that you are interested in marketing, so as everyone else is saying, try and transfer to other schools like Ryerson.

One more thing, don't base your future on comfort and commute. I know lots of people who commute from Hamilton to Ryerson and UofT (and vise versa, from Toronto/Mississauga to mcmaster). At the end of the day, it's your decision, but try and talk with your academic advisor. I am sure s/he will be able to give you some advice.
Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013 at 08:18 AM   #17
sally

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Yes, but are they employed in marketing? It seems you really are looking for a justification for your switch and you really want to fight it. As others have said, Mohawk is not a business-oriented school -- just like McMaster isn't a humanities-oriented school, but people still pursue those degrees. Mohawk is a 'healthcare/technical/hands-on oriented' school, take marketing if you want.

What I will say is the networking aspect of Mohawk is interesting; a lot of start-ups are popping out of the graduates/alumni-oriented events and other things. StartupHamilton, DemoCamp, StartupDrinks are all wonderful networking opportunities where you can get right into 'doing' what you want to do without worry about the schooling aspect. A few start-up successes I've encountered have either began with business guys from Mohawk, or the people have said 'I really should have started marketing sooner. Take that as you will.
Well yes they gave the statistics of people who are actually employed and at least earn a decent amount of money, so you met guys from mohawk who have been successfull from their mohawk program, or have said i wish i took marketing sooner...but see that`s like saying mcmaster is more of a science school and to get into the best business program is shrulick don`t go to mcmaster go to schrulich you know what i mean
Old 05-11-2013 at 08:21 AM   #18
sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Never trust these salary reports. A lot of programs use them to attract students to their program. In general, it is a good idea to study something you are interested in. It seems that you are interested in marketing, so as everyone else is saying, try and transfer to other schools like Ryerson.

One more thing, don't base your future on comfort and commute. I know lots of people who commute from Hamilton to Ryerson and UofT (and vise versa, from Toronto/Mississauga to mcmaster). At the end of the day, it's your decision, but try and talk with your academic advisor. I am sure s/he will be able to give you some advice.
Good luck!
Alright about Ryerson, do you think uni`s like york univerity will accept me from a low gpa of 3.5, the only reason my gpa`s so low is cause i did fail macroeconomics if i didn`t fail i would have had a gpa of 4.0 which sucks!

I heard york university has an HR program but do you guys know whats the admissions to get into this
Old 05-11-2013 at 10:56 AM   #19
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Alright about Ryerson, do you think uni`s like york univerity will accept me from a low gpa of 3.5, the only reason my gpa`s so low is cause i did fail macroeconomics if i didn`t fail i would have had a gpa of 4.0 which sucks!

I heard york university has an HR program but do you guys know whats the admissions to get into this
One course can't be the reason your GPA is so low...it might be what pushed you below a 4, but to get a GPA of 3.5-4, most of your marks are probably low. That does matter if you're applying to something else, because if they see you've done well (10+) with just one fail that's a clear outlier, that is different than if all/most of your marks are in the 0-6 range.

You should contact York and Ryerson directly for admissions requirements, and also check out their websites. Usually, universities handle transfer students differently from high school first-entry students.
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:23 AM   #20
sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
One course can't be the reason your GPA is so low...it might be what pushed you below a 4, but to get a GPA of 3.5-4, most of your marks are probably low. That does matter if you're applying to something else, because if they see you've done well (10+) with just one fail that's a clear outlier, that is different than if all/most of your marks are in the 0-6 range.

You should contact York and Ryerson directly for admissions requirements, and also check out their websites. Usually, universities handle transfer students differently from high school first-entry students.
this is what I do have 5,3,6,0,1,6,5,2 = 3.5 gpa I took all the required commerce courses plus 2 electives with 24 units of completion
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:24 AM   #21
sally

I failed macroecomics and also I recieved a d- in micro that`s one of the main reasons why my grades are so low
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:25 AM   #22
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Mohawk's insurance program is good program. If you like insurance or interested in it, mohawk is a good option. Plus it has co-op. Each course is equivalent to courses most people in insurance complete. Once you are done you can write the exams and work your way to a CIP designation. If you have customer service or call centre experience you can easily get into a customer service role at an insurance company. They pay upwards of 20/hour.
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:52 AM   #23
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
this is what I do have 5,3,6,0,1,6,5,2 = 3.5 gpa I took all the required commerce courses plus 2 electives with 24 units of completion
Quote:
I failed macroecomics and also I recieved a d- in micro that`s one of the main reasons why my grades are so low
Like I said, it's not just the 1-2 courses. To have an average that low, most of your marks need to be low.

I know when you take a course elsewhere and want to use the credit at Mac, you need at least a 60 (4 on the 12-point scale) for the credit to transfer over. Other schools likely have a similar rule, so only four of your courses meet that threshold - it's something you might want to look into, wherever you choose to go.

Also, since you didn't take a full courseload, that may factor into things.

I do think you'd be better off contacting the schools directly though. Is this the york HR program you were talking about? http://www.yorku.ca/laps/shrm/contactus.html
They've got a contact form, since half the links on their website are broken, that's probably the only thing that will help you.
However, this link says that students transferring from another university require at least a 60% average, which you don't have. It can't hurt to email, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Old 05-12-2013 at 10:14 AM   #24
sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
Mohawk's insurance program is good program. If you like insurance or interested in it, mohawk is a good option. Plus it has co-op. Each course is equivalent to courses most people in insurance complete. Once you are done you can write the exams and work your way to a CIP designation. If you have customer service or call centre experience you can easily get into a customer service role at an insurance company. They pay upwards of 20/hour.
Yes I`m actually quite interested in this program, it seems like a secured job as well in the future, I`m actually wondering if they would accept me with my gpa in university
Old 05-12-2013 at 10:35 AM   #25
sally

They didn't say what average you need to get into their program? but they said you need 12 U university math or C equivalent, and also grade 12 english c or u....
i had a good mark in highschool but in univserity not so much
Old 05-12-2013 at 11:32 AM   #26
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Well yes they gave the statistics of people who are actually employed and at least earn a decent amount of money, so you met guys from mohawk who have been successfull from their mohawk program, or have said i wish i took marketing sooner...but see that`s like saying mcmaster is more of a science school and to get into the best business program is shrulick don`t go to mcmaster go to schrulich you know what i mean
Sorry, I actually don't get what you mean here. To my understanding, people DO say things like that. Science at McMaster is a draw; it's their "thing". Particularly health science, but science in general as well. Just like they say people who want to go into music should go to UT or York or Western or accountant-hopefuls should go for Waterloo. Every school has something they're good at and things they're not so good at. A decision should ideally not be made based on proximity.

You should really be contacting these schools on the off-chance that they will conditionally accept you or give you options. There's nothing wrong with giving Ryerson/other schools a call and seeing what you can do. And if you really decide you want to stay home then you can still try for Mohawk. But you're much better off talking to those schools and maybe students from those schools than asking McMaster students on a public forum.