MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mohawk 1Z03 lorend 1st Year Course Reviews 2 12-03-2011 07:34 PM
Masters program at Mac? kanishka General Discussion 27 07-19-2009 04:56 PM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM
Bachelors and Masters Strongwiller Academics 2 11-16-2008 02:58 PM
SUM 41 is at Mohawk College THURSDAY! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-11-2008 07:22 AM

Mohawk > Btech > Masters

Old 12-01-2010 at 04:50 PM   #1
wanna b eng.

Liked: 1 Time

Mohawk > Btech > Masters
Right now i am doing the 3 year civil technology program at mohawk, afterwards I plan on getting a btech in 2 years.

I was just wondering if it is possible to get into a Structural Masters (although I'm not 100% sure thats what i will specialize in) program with the Btech, or if it would be extremely difficult to get in?
Old 12-01-2010 at 05:33 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You're probably better off emailing/talking to an adviser or the faculty directly. I don't think there will be a lot of people on here with experience with this.

Also check out other grad programs at other schools. Keep your options open.
Old 12-01-2010 at 05:34 PM   #3
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna b eng. View Post
Right now i am doing the 3 year civil technology program at mohawk, afterwards I plan on getting a btech in 2 years.

I was just wondering if it is possible to get into a Structural Masters (although I'm not 100% sure thats what i will specialize in) program with the Btech, or if it would be extremely difficult to get in?
master's programs are fairly competetive, just saying
Old 12-01-2010 at 05:39 PM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Since you went to Mohawk, you might be better off going through the Eng. program here, and get your B. Eng.
Old 12-01-2010 at 05:46 PM   #5
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Since you went to Mohawk, you might be better off going through the Eng. program here, and get your B. Eng.
he doesn't want to do that, he wants to take a huuge shortcut/probably doesn't have the aptitude
Old 12-01-2010 at 07:14 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
he doesn't want to do that, he wants to take a huuge shortcut/probably doesn't have the aptitude
Look, "doesn't have the aptitude" doesn't cut it as a comment from someone who:
a) Uses two 'u's to spell huge AND
b) Isn't even in engineering, so has no clue.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying it's hard, and I'm not dissing science, but don't go ripping on people you don't know when you're not doing B.Tech or Eng. I happen to respect anyone doing one of those college programs, then coming here to complete a degree after. I realize you're trolling, but to new people on the forums, just looking for some serious advice about life? Not personally my cup of tea.

As for the OP: A buddy of mine is doing his B. Eng. now, in Civil, after 3 years at Fanshawe for Civil Engineering Technology.

But as the second poster said, you're best to talk to a councilor

Old 12-01-2010 at 08:40 PM   #7
CivEng

Minimum requirements I've seen is a B average in last 2 years of B.eng degree so not sure if you could get in using your route
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:43 PM   #8
wanna b eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Look, "doesn't have the aptitude" doesn't cut it as a comment from someone who:
a) Uses two 'u's to spell huge AND
b) Isn't even in engineering, so has no clue.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying it's hard, and I'm not dissing science, but don't go ripping on people you don't know when you're not doing B.Tech or Eng. I happen to respect anyone doing one of those college programs, then coming here to complete a degree after. I realize you're trolling, but to new people on the forums, just looking for some serious advice about life? Not personally my cup of tea.

As for the OP: A buddy of mine is doing his B. Eng. now, in Civil, after 3 years at Fanshawe for Civil Engineering Technology.

But as the second poster said, you're best to talk to a councilor
Thanks for the quick responses, I was basically expecting to have to wait a day to get maybe 1 or 2 responses. Also I can deal with negative comments, especially when it is as generic as that one (although thanks for the back up Mick).

So this friend from Fanshawe, is he able to get his B. Eng in the same amount of time as a Btech? or does he have to get a couple extra math courses in there as well (so far from what i can tell, the main difference between the 2 is that the B. Eng is more math oriented).

At the moment i have a 90 average at Mohawk and I plan to get a 80 average in the Btech program. I was essentially wondering if with these marks I could get into a specialized Masters (structural/hydraulic/geotechnical ect.) or if i would have to take some extra courses to upgrade my math. If i can't do it this way, would i be forced to switch into B. Eng and what would that entail.

I realize that the best way for me to get information would be to just call the school, but i stumbled upon these forums and figured i would try them first.
Old 12-01-2010 at 10:21 PM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I can give you the generic stuff:

He's unfortunately stuck with doing B. Eng ALMOST from scratch. Started first year with us, had first term physics taken out, in addition to Surveying, design (solid modeling programs), and pretty much all of his elective credits. He could get away with doing only the technical courses, and math, but first year is also "general", so he suffered through chemistry and programming like the rest of us. I don't know the rules behind it, but if you took summer courses, I would imagine someone in your case could take as many first and second year summer courses as possible and perhaps fast track graduation to 3 years, maybe? I don't know if that's allowed. otherwise, the B. Eng is a full 4 years.

To some, it's worth it. I believe some schools, like Lakehead, do a really fast program, and you can get the degree in 2-3 years, maybe even faster out of college, but that's the full extent of my knowledge.
Old 12-02-2010 at 01:02 PM   #10
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I graduated from a 3 year engineering program back at St. Clair College and some of my credits were transferred. I didn't have to take two courses in first year: modeling and programming.

I am now in my second year. I actually graduated as a Mech. Eng Technologist and decided to go Electrical. Good thing I had a chance to reconsider my options. Like Mike said, Lakehead is also another option. You only have to do 2 1/2 years instead of 4. You will have to take some courses over the spring and summer and once you complete that, you will be placed in third year.

If I had made that choice, I would have been in my fourth year in Mechanical Engineering as we speak but I decided to start from scratch. I have learned so much in the past several months and I am not regretting any of it.

Get your B.Eng, B.Eng cannot be compared to B.Tech and you cannot get your P.Eng if you have B.Tech unless you want to go through series of interviews and examinations.
Old 12-02-2010 at 03:08 PM   #11
dasa3

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hi you might want to talk to Arlene Dosen. She is the Academic Advisor for Bachelor of Technology Program. I know couple of people who got their P.Eng after graduating from B.Tech but Arlene can give you a better idea about the whole process.
Phone: 905-525-9140 Ext: 24646
Old 12-02-2010 at 03:39 PM   #12
bigoldblack

I was in the same position last year when I took Electrical Eng. Tech. at Mohawk. My first choice was engineering too but I found out that I needed to start from year 1 so I went with the B.Tech.

It is possible to get P.Eng after B.Tech , you would just need to do a couple more exams.
Also, the B.Tech is two years (if you take four courses every semester) and it's on evenings and weekends. This would allow you to work part time in the morning (I am doing that now).
Old 12-03-2010 at 02:33 PM   #13
wanna b eng.

Hmm, I didn't realize that there was such a difference between a Btech and a B. Eng.

I found this link on the mcmaster website and it basically says that i can get a Professional Masters degree. I was wondering if this means that if i do good enough in the Btech program that i can get a M. Eng in Structural engineering specifically, or if it would just be an M. Eng for technologists.

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/M...Pathways.p df

If i had the option between getting B. Eng and doing 4 years + 2 years masters or the option of doing just 2 more years in the Btech program and (with the right grades) a M. Eng afterwards. I would rather do the btech since as far as I can tell there is no difference.

as long as i get the masters (probably would have to get higher marks in the btech program then in the B. eng).... I'll go to Mcmaster in about 2 weeks to find out, but for now does anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited by wanna b eng. : 12-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2010 at 03:09 PM   #14
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
I found this link on the mcmaster website and it basically says that i can get a Professional Masters degree. I was wondering if this means that if i do good enough in the Btech program that i can get a M. Eng in Structural engineering specifically, or if it would just be an M. Eng for technologists.
It would probably be a B. Tech specific. Not sure there is an easy way (or any way) from B. Tech to M. Eng.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. That document seems clear that you can do your M. Eng. from a B. Tech. Just talk to someone in the B. Tech department, I'm sure it's a common question.
Old 12-03-2010 at 03:37 PM   #15
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Hmm, I didn't realize that there was such a difference between a Btech and a B. Eng.

/12 goddam characters/