MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate School (masters) Clematis Academics 6 08-18-2010 11:52 PM
Car Pool? - Spring Masters Job Fair Melanieee Volunteering Opportunities 17 03-23-2010 11:03 AM
Spring Masters ? Kathy2 General Discussion 4 10-07-2009 12:55 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Bachelors and Masters Strongwiller Academics 2 11-16-2008 02:58 PM

Masters program at Mac?

Old 07-13-2009 at 06:12 PM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Masters program at Mac?
howz masters program at mac....specifically Electrical and Computer Engineering for masters degree?
Old 07-13-2009 at 06:49 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
howz masters program at mac....specifically Electrical and Computer Engineering for masters degree?
I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. One step at a time. Make sure that engineering is the right program for you first. Many students go to Mac out for one program and come out with a degree in something completely different. Think carefully about Masters programs in your 3rd and fourth year. For now, focus on starting university.

.:callen:., Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 06:57 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. One step at a time. Make sure that engineering is the right program for you first. Many students go to Mac out for one program and come out with a degree in something completely different. Think carefully about Masters programs in your 3rd and fourth year. For now, focus on starting university.
Agreed. I think the statistic is the average student changes their degree program 5-7 times before they actually graduate. Personally, I've changed mine 3 times (and now I actually love what I do).
Old 07-13-2009 at 07:14 PM   #4
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

agreed +1.

i've thought about switching out of my program a few times within the first six months of school. i even went to an academic advisor and everything. it wasn't that my program was uninteresting or difficult (i love my program!), i just felt i was more passionate about another subject.

i ended up staying though, although now i realize that it's possible i'll end up pursuing something different in the future after my undergrad.
Old 07-13-2009 at 07:38 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

The only reason why I mentioned switching programs is because I was originally in psychology, then I was going to drop out of university and go to college for event planning, then I decided against it switched into Combined Honours and now I'm in Honours Philosophy. Open yourself up to inspiration at McMaster. Things you thought you'd never love may become your main driving force. Going into McMaster with a narrow view on your goals will only limit your full potential.
Old 07-13-2009 at 07:43 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I agree; before I went into university, people were already telling me to choose Life Sciences but I applied to Business because I like how applicable my degree will be. When people learned that I liked biology and got to know me a bit better, they informed me that Business was completely wrong for me and I should transfer out of my faculty and into Life Sciences. I do not have an immediate plan to do that but I do have a plan to take an adequate number of sciences throughout university, even though before I spoke to a few people on MI, I believed I would never touch a bio textbook again

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 08:01 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hmm, yes. I was originally going to Mac with a plan of going to law school afterwards. Went into first year, fell in love with linguistics, learned about a program that joined linguistics and my old love psychology together, and here I am - heading for a masters in SLP. So, most likely, you won't know exactly what you want right now, when you haven't even tasted university yet.

So many people I've talked to, friends, teachers, profs, TAs have stories about how they were never sure, or they were once sure but changed their minds. But there are those who know exactly what they'll do and follow through with it, I guess you'll just have to see. :]
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:53 PM   #8
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Yaaah, you're getting a bit too ahead lol. First, try and achieve actually getting in that program for 2nd year. Then if you actually enjoy it, then consider pursuiting grad school, and you might even want to look at doing it at other universities.

But for your interest here's a vid that explores Mac eng's grad studies. Mac is really reputable for being a top research school, so it's not a bad idea to do grad studies here.

Old 07-14-2009 at 05:00 AM   #9
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Agreed. I think the statistic is the average student changes their degree program 5-7 times before they actually graduate. Personally, I've changed mine 3 times (and now I actually love what I do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
agreed +1.

i've thought about switching out of my program a few times within the first six months of school. i even went to an academic advisor and everything. it wasn't that my program was uninteresting or difficult (i love my program!), i just felt i was more passionate about another subject.

i ended up staying though, although now i realize that it's possible i'll end up pursuing something different in the future after my undergrad.
Quote:
The only reason why I mentioned switching programs is because I was originally in psychology, then I was going to drop out of university and go to college for event planning, then I decided against it switched into Combined Honours and now I'm in Honours Philosophy. Open yourself up to inspiration at McMaster. Things you thought you'd never love may become your main driving force. Going into McMaster with a narrow view on your goals will only limit your full potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I agree; before I went into university, people were already telling me to choose Life Sciences but I applied to Business because I like how applicable my degree will be. When people learned that I liked biology and got to know me a bit better, they informed me that Business was completely wrong for me and I should transfer out of my faculty and into Life Sciences. I do not have an immediate plan to do that but I do have a plan to take an adequate number of sciences throughout university, even though before I spoke to a few people on MI, I believed I would never touch a bio textbook again
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Hmm, yes. I was originally going to Mac with a plan of going to law school afterwards. Went into first year, fell in love with linguistics, learned about a program that joined linguistics and my old love psychology together, and here I am - heading for a masters in SLP. So, most likely, you won't know exactly what you want right now, when you haven't even tasted university yet.

So many people I've talked to, friends, teachers, profs, TAs have stories about how they were never sure, or they were once sure but changed their minds. But there are those who know exactly what they'll do and follow through with it, I guess you'll just have to see. :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Eng. View Post
Yaaah, you're getting a bit too ahead lol. First, try and achieve actually getting in that program for 2nd year. Then if you actually enjoy it, then consider pursuiting grad school, and you might even want to look at doing it at other universities.
i think all u guys misunderstood me!! i am asking this on behalf of my brother!! he wants to do electrical and computer engineering at Mac and thats the reason I was asking about it...so it would be great if you get get back to the original question
Old 07-14-2009 at 05:10 AM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
i think all u guys misunderstood me!! i am asking this on behalf of my brother!! he wants to do electrical and computer engineering at Mac and thats the reason I was asking about it...so it would be great if you get get back to the original question
How could anyone misunderstand you? You never wrote that :p

Anyway, is your brother older than you and already looking for a grad school, or is he still in high school? If the latter, then I think the posts above still apply.
Old 07-14-2009 at 05:22 AM   #11
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
How could anyone misunderstand you? You never wrote that :p
they should have answered my questions thts it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Anyway, is your brother older than you and already looking for a grad school, or is he still in high school? If the latter, then I think the posts above still apply.
and he's finished his under-grad in computer engineering...so no the above posts do not apply...
Old 07-14-2009 at 08:19 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
He's finished his under-grad in computer engineering...so no, the above posts do not apply...
Alright, well I know nothing about Mac for engineering graduate studies. From what I've heard, Waterloo is supposed to be the best for Computer and Electrical.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:24 AM   #13
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

And though a lot of people brought up some good points with regards to potential changes of interest throughout undergrad years, I think it wouldn't hurt to look to the future, even if the question was for herself. It doesn't hurt to start exploring potential options...
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:55 AM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Don't forget you are posing the question on a (primarily) undergraduate forum. None of us really know anything about grad programs here as we're not in them. So we're speculating.

Your brother should be contacting the program and asking them what they offer, how many students the program accepts, if there is a wait list, how many apply, what graduates of the program are doing now, what the application procedure is like etc. You can give him this for reference: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2066 3

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-14-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding more info

kanishka says thanks to lorend for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-16-2009 at 07:39 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
they should have answered my questions thts it!!
They did...You can't go back and change your question and then claim no one answered it. We only know as much as we can infer from your written text. Nobody's a psychic (:

------------------------

Masters programs are a good experience just about anywhere you go. Your brother should have been considering a few things already:

Does he want a large university? - Advantage: Many resources professors and facilities so you're quite likely to find a research partner doing precisely what you'd like to do. Disadvantage: It's harder to shine, it's more likely that you'll be treated as a statistic and not as a person unless you do something stellar.

Does he want a small university? - The exact opposite holds. You may not be able to find a prof who matches your research interests as closely as in a large university, but you'll be treated fairly by the professors and the department.

Mac is a small to mid-sized university, when compared with universities like York or UofT.

I don't think you could really find much more help than this on here...I don't recall seeing anyone from a Masters in Engineering program.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-16-2009 at 07:43 AM.

kanishka says thanks to Mowicz for this post.