MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate School (masters) Clematis Academics 6 08-18-2010 11:52 PM
Announcement: MAC FAIR - Museum of Art Craft Fair rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-05-2009 11:29 PM
Spring Masters ? Kathy2 General Discussion 4 10-07-2009 12:55 AM
Masters program at Mac? kanishka General Discussion 27 07-19-2009 04:56 PM
Bachelors and Masters Strongwiller Academics 2 11-16-2008 02:58 PM

Car Pool? - Spring Masters Job Fair

Old 03-22-2010 at 02:59 PM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Car Pool? - Spring Masters Job Fair
Is anyone else planning to go to the job fair for Spring Masters in Hamilton? One is March 25th and one is April 6th and I really want to go but Google Maps says it takes 1 hour+ by transit, so I was wondering if anyone who is driving would be willing to car pool?

Old 03-22-2010 at 03:18 PM   #2
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Its A Scam!

huzaifa47 says thanks to killza for this post.

scott000 likes this.
Old 03-22-2010 at 03:19 PM   #3
killza

Liked: 105 Times

o hey.. a girl in math.. respect =D
Old 03-22-2010 at 04:07 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

haha thanks i love it ps. is it really a scam? :S
Old 03-22-2010 at 04:37 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
haha thanks i love it ps. is it really a scam? :S

You should do a search on google and see what others are saying about it. Some people say really bad things about it, but of course your experience might be different.
Old 03-22-2010 at 04:40 PM   #6
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Ive heard very bad things about springmasters. You essentially are required to find your own work, and you still have to give them a cut.

If your going to go door-to-door looking for landscaping work, you might as well just do it independently rather than giving these crooks a cut.

huzaifa47 says thanks to J-Met for this post.
Old 03-22-2010 at 05:12 PM   #7
JohH

Liked: 0 Times

I have had a job with them before back in grade 9. I'd say the experience varies between everyone. What basically happened was that they did a quick overview for all the new employees on how to operate a aeration machine (not sure if they still just use these). They then set each person off in a residential area with a machine. You are then basically required to sell your service at whatever price you wanted to. By the end of the night (shifts were 9am to 9-10pm) you get picked up and you retain a certain percent of what you made for the night (I believe it was somewhere around 24-28% for our area).

huzaifa47 says thanks to JohH for this post.
Old 03-22-2010 at 06:08 PM   #8
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

wow that doesnt sound liek what i want at all. thanks for ur input guys
Old 03-22-2010 at 07:31 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You are dropped off on a street with a big aerating machine and you have to go door to door, asking people if you want their lawn aerated.

Google "Spring Masters scam" to read more.
Old 03-22-2010 at 07:37 PM   #10
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohH View Post
you get picked up and you retain a certain percent of what you made for the night (I believe it was somewhere around 24-28% for our area).
Again...you could just buy or rent your own aerator and bring in 100% of what you make. Total scam.
Old 03-22-2010 at 09:16 PM   #11
larp

Liked: 8 Times

As a general rule of thumb, every time that you see an ad for something too good to be true, it's a scam.

huzaifa47 says thanks to larp for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 03-22-2010 at 09:25 PM   #12
chinadian

Liked: 6 Times

Hey I acually went to one of their job fairs with my gf before reading week, and let me tell you... it was a complete waste of time, plus we took the transit there and was that ever sketchy... both the bus ride and the 10 minute walk after the bus ride. The whole time all the manager could talk about is how he will be paying cash and they will give you jobs to do. After the whole crappy speech me and my gf found it extremely sketchy so we left, boy was that the best choice after looking into it there were ALOT more complaints than anything else... so ya don't even bother going... complete waste... plus sketchy...

huzaifa47, Melanieee all say thanks to chinadian for this post.
Old 03-22-2010 at 11:31 PM   #13
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Again...you could just buy or rent your own aerator and bring in 100% of what you make. Total scam.
My little brother bought his own aerator a few summers back, and he now has a client list of over 200 people. He makes about $8,000 in the first month of the summer, and then is free for the rest of the summer. I'm kind of jealous. (Although he works his ass off for that first month)

huzaifa47 says thanks to sniderj for this post.
Old 03-23-2010 at 09:22 AM   #14
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Is anyone else planning to go to the job fair for Spring Masters in Hamilton? One is March 25th and one is April 6th and I really want to go but Google Maps says it takes 1 hour+ by transit, so I was wondering if anyone who is driving would be willing to car pool?

Lol Mel.....total scam. Trust me!!! I knew friends who did it and i even wasted a few days just hanging with them while they did it. Like honestly...you can areiate (or w./e u spell it) lawns by yourself and make a killing (done it). And as for a job..i shud get one too. seeing as how im like the only one on our floor whose nvr workd.

huzaifa47 says thanks to xxsumz for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 03-23-2010 at 09:24 AM   #15
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
True. Renting where I live only costs $120 for the day. From previous experience, you usually can make a minimum of triple that in that day. So..overall PROFIT!!!