MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mohawk 1Z03 lorend 1st Year Course Reviews 2 12-03-2011 07:34 PM
Masters program at Mac? kanishka General Discussion 27 07-19-2009 04:56 PM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM
Bachelors and Masters Strongwiller Academics 2 11-16-2008 02:58 PM
SUM 41 is at Mohawk College THURSDAY! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-11-2008 07:22 AM

Mohawk > Btech > Masters

Old 12-03-2010 at 09:01 PM   #16
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I am in no way trying to diss the B.Tech program but please you should rephrase what you said wanna b eng. There is a significant difference in the courses you take in engineering and the B. Tech courses there is no way in hell that they are of the same level. Your courses may be more technical our courses may not be as technical. If there was no difference between a B. Tech and a B. Eng, they would have named them both B.Eng or both B.Tech. and the programs will be both 4 years or both 3 years. But indeed no, one is called Bachelor of Engineering and you spend 4 or 5 years in University to complete it and the other one is a Bachelor of Technology and you spend 3 years in College.

Hope I made myself clear.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:04 PM   #17
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

and also when people don't have high enough grades to continue an engineering degree they either drop out into another faculty or they switch over to B. Tech, therefore I think there is enough proof that there is a big difference between them.
Old 12-03-2010 at 11:08 PM   #18
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

i dont say this often enough but i wholeheartedly agreed with everything you said there, way to tell it like it is.
Old 12-04-2010 at 10:41 AM   #19
dasa3

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
But indeed no, one is called Bachelor of Engineering and you spend 4 or 5 years in University to complete it and the other one is a Bachelor of Technology and you spend 3 years in College.
While I agree with whatever you said, I would like to clarify that B.Tech has 3 different type of programs being offered:
1. four-year university degree
university degree completion
Technology Leadership Certificate/Diploma
Old 01-07-2011 at 12:26 PM   #20

Liked: 31 Times

If you want to learn general theory and spend a full four years getting a degree then go with B.Eng. If you want to learn theory in a more specialized area then go with B.Tech. If you have already completed a 3 yr college program then a lot of the B.Eng degree will be repeat for you with a little more math. In terms of getting your P.eng from a B.Tech, doing 5 exams versus 1 is not a big deal and you will have satisfied more of your experience requirement along the way (assuming you are working).
In terms of getting into an M.Eng, yes it can be done, not only from B.Tech but also from other departments such as Science (I have met B.Tech's who have gotten M.Eng's from Western, Toronto and Waterloo so far). However, keep in mind that an M.Eng may not add much to your career options or salary.
Also, yes the B.Tech program is accepting B.eng students who are struggling in their courses but as it has lower enrollment numbers due to its relative newness, this is to be expected. That does not mean they will fare better in B.Tech.
I am in B.Tech and did very well in both College and in University. I have friends who are not doing well in University. I have friends who did College and went to Lakehead for a B.Eng who are doing quite well. I have friends who have been B.Eng students the whole time and are doing well and I work with B.Eng's from various universities and programs, some are good at what they do and show aptitude, some are very much in the dark. Success in engineering lies in the person more than the program, as engineering is a hard science and can be learned by anyone with the time and motivation and because industry is VERY different from the class-room.
Personally, I would choose the route of B.Tech because I am advancing my career, making very good money, doing engineering level work and earning my PEO experience requirement time all while getting my degree and satisfying the CEAB/PEO educational requirements (albeit with a few exams required when I graduate). However I can see the uncertainty people have as they are more familiar with the B.eng name. I will say this though, the specialized theory of B.Tech has led to people in my class consistently getting most of the co-op positions with the top companies in the electrical field and has led to many job prospects for them. It has also led to advancement in my own career in the utility sector. Finally, it has led to a request to have our courses cross-listed so B.Eng's can take them.
In summary, both are good options as they are both good degrees leading to solid career options. Don't count out the B.tech based on uninformed and possibly insecure posters on this site. And yes the B.Eng takes 4 years in University, but the B.Tech takes 3 years in College and another 2 years in University, so please recognize the commitment as such, and note that many on this site have never attended both an engineering program at the College and University levels, so they may be tempted to brush off anything with the word College in it.

wanna b eng. says thanks to 19841984 for this post.
Old 01-15-2011 at 02:54 PM   #21
wanna b eng.

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for the reply 1984.

I tried emailing Arlene Dosen about the B. Tech program (specifically asking about getting a Masters in Structural Engineering), I got no reply so...

Anyway I found out that if I wanted to, after getting my diploma I could go to Lakehead and get a B. Eng. after 2 years. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on their engineering program, would it be better to get a B. Eng at Lakehead or get a B. Tech at Mcmaster.

I talked to the Associate Dean at Mohawk and he says that after I get my B. Tech I can get a Masters at Mcmaster (for structural), although my average would probably have to be between 85-90%.

Lakehead doesnt have a good Master program (or at least not the one I want) so thats not really an option. Basically I'm wondering if it would be easier to get into a Masters program at Mcmaster by getting the B.Tech at Mcmaster or if I got a B.Eng at Lakehead then switched over to Mcmaster.

Last edited by wanna b eng. : 01-15-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:05 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna b eng. View Post
Lakehead doesnt have a good Master program (or at least not the one I want) so thats not really an option. Basically I'm wondering if it would be easier to get into a Masters program at Mcmaster by getting the B.Tech at Mcmaster or if I got a B.Eng at Lakehead then switched over to Mcmaster.
Your best bet is to ask the admin assistant (or the graduate advisor) of the M.Eng program you are interested in applying to.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-23-2011 at 07:44 AM   #23
junglee420

Liked: 0 Times

I'll say stick with BE/BSc... make BTech your second priority only if don't get in... I went thru BTech it's very good program but you have to face tons of challanges when going for PEng...

5 exams + report+ppe.. ..

BE is little tough but worth the effort.

good luck..
Old 02-23-2011 at 10:16 AM   #24

Liked: 31 Times

Talk to the department. Other B.Tech students have earned master of engineering degrees from various universities. I do not personally know someone who has done so following the civil route (as only the manufacturing program has been in place long enough to see a fair number of grads who would be potential masters students), but I do however know someone who has gone from an undergrad degree in environmental science at Mac to now completing a Masters of Civil Engineering in Environmental Engineering at Mac.

Be sure to ask around at other universities as well as at Mac, because they may have different answers and requirements/restrictions. They may be a bit more strict with regards to GPA but I am fairly sure that it will be possible for you to get a civil related masters. I know that at Mac, ADMI is accepting BTech students on equal footing and I believe SEP may also do the same. Also there is word going around of a potential new energy engineering masters program (or something to that effect) to be offered by the engineering physics department, which as I have heard will offer acceptance to BTech students (in the energy stream obviously). So there is support out there if you look and work hard enough.