MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancelled courses in Summer School dr4357 Academics 2 05-29-2013 12:34 PM
School cancelled for today Reda General Discussion 20 02-08-2013 02:19 PM
Taking Grad School Pre Reqs in Summer School? ChhabrN Academics 2 01-01-2013 12:34 AM
Question about summer school and grad school apps bruni Academics 4 05-05-2012 07:05 AM
Do You Want to Go to Grad School? lorend Academics 5 10-25-2010 12:19 AM

Does a cancelled course look bad for grad school?

Old 11-02-2014 at 10:26 AM   #1
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Does a cancelled course look bad for grad school?
I plan on applying to a Masters program in for either OT or PT. All the schools I'm applying to don't seem care about you taking a full courseload but I don't know how they feel about a cancelled course.
My friend says it doesn't really matter as long as you cancelled it before the academic penalty deadline, is that true?
Old 11-03-2014 at 12:06 PM   #2
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

It looks a lot less troublesome than a failed course. An isolated cancelled course, or even two are likely a non-issue. A transcript littered with many cancelled and failed courses will kill your chances.
Old 11-08-2014 at 07:28 PM   #3
georgeharris

Liked: 0 Times

Hi Macinsiders Community sorry to intrude but this post seems relevant to my situation,

I have recently graduated from hons. life science this spring and i am applying to graduate programs for the upcoming year. But i have concerns about my GPA i wish to discuss with a dean or academic counsellor. The sitaution is i have an overall 9.9 CA (79%) but i need a 10.0 CA (80%) for my desired program.

I wish McMaster would just bump my overall average up but im prepared to put in the work. Do you guys think it'd be possible to take courses this Winter outside of McMaster to boost my average to a 10?
Who should i contact for this matter?

Any help/guidance would be great,
Harris
Old 11-08-2014 at 07:42 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeharris View Post
Hi Macinsiders Community sorry to intrude but this post seems relevant to my situation,

I have recently graduated from hons. life science this spring and i am applying to graduate programs for the upcoming year. But i have concerns about my GPA i wish to discuss with a dean or academic counsellor. The sitaution is i have an overall 9.9 CA (79%) but i need a 10.0 CA (80%) for my desired program.

I wish McMaster would just bump my overall average up but im prepared to put in the work. Do you guys think it'd be possible to take courses this Winter outside of McMaster to boost my average to a 10?
Who should i contact for this matter?

Any help/guidance would be great,
Harris
Well, first it depends on simple math.
I'm not sure how much your 9.9 has been rounded, but assuming you took 40 courses to graduate:
40*9.9=396
If you get a "12" in another 3-unit course, your average would be 408/41 = 9.95. Technically that should be rounded, but if they truncate instead of round, it won't do you any good, so you should figure that out first.

You can take a course (or several) online via Athabasca - that is probably the easiest way. Keep in mind that courses taken outside McMaster will not have an impact on your Mac GPA - but, most if not all grad schools should take into account courses taken at all universities, you'd just have to submit both transcripts.

Edit: also, McMaster considers 9.5 to be "80%" - that's why the cutoff for graduating with distinction and for getting on the dean's list are 9.5. Would that help?
Old 11-08-2014 at 07:50 PM   #5
georgeharris

Liked: 0 Times

thank you for the replay back Starfish,

I will look into this "Athabasca". I plan on contacting someone at McMaster next week. Do u think i should email the Dean of Science? I don't know who else i could turn to
Old 11-09-2014 at 06:19 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeharris View Post
thank you for the replay back Starfish,

I will look into this "Athabasca". I plan on contacting someone at McMaster next week. Do u think i should email the Dean of Science? I don't know who else i could turn to
I would definitely start by contacting one of the academic advisors. They'll be much faster to reply and they can then direct you to anyone else you need to speak to, because it may take a lot longer for the dean's office to respond.