MacInsiders Logo

I don't know what to do

Old 07-18-2011 at 05:18 PM   #1
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

I don't know what to do
So, the residence and housing department called me today, saying that there's been an overload in guaranteed residence spots and I am on the unassigned list still so they gave me two options. The first one is that they can put in a bunk and loft room [3/4 people]. Even though it wasn't one of my prefs, it's still something.
The other option is to cancel my res application. They will give me my 600 dollar deposit and $1000 that I can take as a cheque, have it put into my student account or some other thing that I can't remember right now. They also said I'd be guaranteed res for 2nd year.
I live in an area that is about 25 minutes away from Hamilton, but there is no public transportation and I don't have my driver's licence, so I have to live in Hamilton.
My mom was saying that I could take the money and rent a house in Hamilton because it's cheaper than the whole residence and meal plan thing. But I think the res experience is best in the first year. It's a great way to meet everyone and make friends.
The deadline for cancelling is Thursday [July 21], so I need to make a decision fast. Any ?
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:25 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxorianna View Post
So, the residence and housing department called me today, saying that there's been an overload in guaranteed residence spots and I am on the unassigned list still so they gave me two options. The first one is that they can put in a bunk and loft room [3/4 people]. Even though it wasn't one of my prefs, it's still something.
The other option is to cancel my res application. They will give me my 600 dollar deposit and $1000 that I can take as a cheque, have it put into my student account or some other thing that I can't remember right now. They also said I'd be guaranteed res for 2nd year.
I live in an area that is about 25 minutes away from Hamilton, but there is no public transportation and I don't have my driver's licence, so I have to live in Hamilton.
My mom was saying that I could take the money and rent a house in Hamilton because it's cheaper than the whole residence and meal plan thing. But I think the res experience is best in the first year. It's a great way to meet everyone and make friends.
The deadline for cancelling is Thursday [July 21], so I need to make a decision fast. Any ?
I don't get it, why are they giving you $1000?
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:28 PM   #3
Nathanma

Liked: 7 Times

If you live off campus you can still meet tons of people. Go out to the welcome week activities and join clubs, teams and just get involved. I wouldn't worry too much, you'll make friends who live in res and you can make even more friends when you visit them and hang out in various residences. Just try and live within walking distance of the school so you can visit often.

Desda, IqzFendi like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:29 PM   #4
xxorianna

I didn't actually catch the reason on the telephone, I was kinda zoning heh heh heh . Maybe it's a consolation fee?

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:33 PM   #5
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Personally, I can't stand the idea of sharing a room with that many people. I'd look for a place off-campus. As for meeting people and getting involved, just go to welcome week and join some clubs. Also, don't be shy to strike up a conversation with people sitting around you in a lecture before class starts. You never know who you might meet. D:

Edit: If you're going to look for a place off-campus, make sure you get to know the people you'll be living with. Also, if you're not familiar with lease agreements and such, look it over with someone who is.

Last edited by Desda : 07-18-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Eternal Fire, Nathanma like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:33 PM   #6
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

A bunk and loft room with 3 people (including you) would be fine. i had it. It was alright. I wouldn't want three roomates though.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:38 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

What place 25mins from Hamilton doesn't have public transportation to get there? That's weird :S
Yeah, I'd assume the $1000 is a consolation fee/something to put towards a place to live or way of getting to Mac that isn't student res.

A bunk & loft room isn't terrible...plenty of people survive them. You could have a terrible roommate in a double, or triple, or quad...but the chances of ALL of your roommates being awful is lower in triples and quads. You know yourself better than we do; if you think you'd be okay in a triple, then go for it. If you're really difficult to live with or high maintenance or super picky or whatever, then maybe it's not the best thing. It really depends on what you think you would be happy with.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:40 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There are plenty of people who commute in first year and do just fine, but a lot do live with their families. The reason I would suggest residence is because you're most likely to be living with upper years you don't know off campus at this point. In first year, while it is a bit crowded and it's not going to be perfect, at least you'll feel part of a community and have more chances to get out there.
No the meal plan is not ideal, and that was one of my biggest qualms when I was on res, but you do make a lot of great friends from your building. You can do the same off campus as well, it's just a bit more difficult to put yourself out there and if you get lonely easily, you may not want to consider it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2011 at 05:40 PM   #9
xxorianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
What place 25mins from Hamilton doesn't have public transportation to get there? That's weird :S
It's a very rural area.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:49 PM   #10
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

If you take the 1600 dollars, you can pretty much pay half of the year's rent living somewhere in westdale.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:55 PM   #11
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Damn, 1000 bucks and guaranteed res. second year? That's a really good deal.

L'Étoile, particle like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:55 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
For the inconvenience I guess.. And the late response regarding residence status.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:17 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

You can't bicycle or get a drive to public transportation? I think no matter what you do, you should for sure take the 600+1000$.. what you do after that.... up to you. Living with a ton of people (versus not) could take its toll on your grades.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:21 PM   #14
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
To avoid a law suit of "pain and suffering"

Honestly just get a place offcampus, you will love it and will get used to it there is a lot of first year students in the same position and u can find a first year house and actually stay living in the house after first year and will not have to search for residence after first year is over. I think its better ! and there is alot of housing places that are 5-15 min tops away from mac that you can very conveniently live in. Good luck, p.s. rez is not that special, there is alot of rules to begin with and really its just not as free as if you would have your own place. 1000 dollar compensation can buy u furniture! or rent for like 3 months.

EDIT: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...4.html?t=45134 this was just posted requesting 1 more roommate Check it out !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 07-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:45 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Like a few other people have already said: you know yourself better than anyone here. If you know you can manage to live in that type of res then go for it, if not living off campus shouldn't be a problem. Just get out there and talk to people whenever you get a chance and it is appropriate to do so.