MacInsiders Logo

I don't know what to do

Old 07-18-2011 at 09:41 PM   #16
alyssaah

Liked: 4 Times

Does anyone know if they have been calling everyone on the unassigned list and saying the same thing?
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:42 PM   #17
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaah View Post
Does anyone know if they have been calling everyone on the unassigned list and saying the same thing?
They should be since this is Mac's solution. Give 'em an email and ask.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:05 PM   #18
DutchRudder

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Wondering the same thing. This is getting ridiculous, how can you not anticipate the number of students wishing to stay in residence? I expect more from what I read was a top ranking school.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:07 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
If it's happened to one person, then I'm sure others have gone through the same thing. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone on the unassigned list will get a call like that though.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:07 PM   #20
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRudder View Post
Wondering the same thing. This is getting ridiculous, how can you not anticipate the number of students wishing to stay in residence? I expect more from what I read was a top ranking school.
Well then how would you anticipate the number students wishing to stay in residence?

You now make me wonder if administration is looked at when being ranked.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:12 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Wow, that's an epic deal. Take the $1600 dollars, buy yourself some pokemons (or whatever it is children spend money on these days) and live off campus.

I lived off campus first year since I handed in my residence application a little late, and it was probably better. When you're off campus, you aren't distracted by parties and what not (as much), which is favourable in your first year since for a lot of faculties, that's typically a filter year (where they rape errbody to get rid of the noobs).

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:27 PM   #22
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Dillon's got a great point. A lot of students find managing their social lives and their academic lives difficult on residence if they tend to be heavy partiers. Again, it can be done and you have the support to make it happen, but there is a lot more excitement on res all the time versus the quiet of your own home

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2011 at 10:35 PM   #23
booboo

Liked: 1 Time

I say you get a place off campus. You'll still meet people either way but to me a loft room doesn't sound fun. But it all depends on what feels right for you.. Do you see yourself being comfortable with 3 other people in such close quarters?

Plus hello free monneeyyyyyyyyy.. I don't know about you but I like me some free money.. Get that paper homie

gguarna likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:15 PM   #24
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

:'( omg...you can't be serious! I was out all day today, and I noticed I had a miss call from McMaster... I think it was about the same thing... :'(
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:58 PM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

triples arent bad. friend had one. really depends on the ppl u live with.
u should first take a look at the houses available around campus. fyi in realistic standards, most of the "closest" off res houses are "ghetto" but many are furnished / cleaned up to be nice dpending on the house.

about first year res, living off campus doesn't take away anything. i guess it depends on the type of person u are. i sat in my room all year. living on campus was abit more convenient though
Old 07-19-2011 at 10:00 AM   #26
DutchRudder

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Well then how would you anticipate the number students wishing to stay in residence?

You now make me wonder if administration is looked at when being ranked.
McMaster has 3700 bed spaces, of that 2900 is reserved for first year students.

Of the 22,852 undergraduate students as of the 2010 school year I estimate that ~7000 of those were first year students. I don't have the figures for this year, but I'm guessing its an exceptional year in regards to the number of new students admitted. So lets say that means ~ 8000 students enrolled as first years for the 2011-2012 school year.

That means McMaster has bed spaces available for 36.25% of new students.

Considering the national average of first year university students who stay on residence is anywhere from 52-66%, 36.25% is an extremely low number.

If I get a call today I will freak out.
Old 07-19-2011 at 11:07 AM   #27
MarianaP

Liked: 1 Time

Wait, were you guaranteed residence?
Old 07-19-2011 at 11:17 AM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

One of my closest friends also lived in a triple in Moulton and made an incredible friend that she still lives with today. It could work out absolutely incredibly.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AndreaS likes this.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:06 PM   #29
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRudder View Post
McMaster has 3700 bed spaces, of that 2900 is reserved for first year students.

Of the 22,852 undergraduate students as of the 2010 school year I estimate that ~7000 of those were first year students. I don't have the figures for this year, but I'm guessing its an exceptional year in regards to the number of new students admitted. So lets say that means ~ 8000 students enrolled as first years for the 2011-2012 school year.

That means McMaster has bed spaces available for 36.25% of new students.

Considering the national average of first year university students who stay on residence is anywhere from 52-66%, 36.25% is an extremely low number.

If I get a call today I will freak out.
I'd like to point out some schools only offer residence to first years and no one else at the undergraduate level such as Waterloo. That is maybe why they can manage it. Personally I like the fact that Mac saves space for upper years.

The fact that Mac has this problem this year is probably more based on the fact of the higher and unexpected number of acceptances into Mac. So it's more like they weren't expecting this many people to show up.

Also do not forget that there is a cutoff for the guarantee for residence, which helps reduce the number of first-year students who will be living on campus.
Old 07-19-2011 at 01:06 PM   #30
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Yeah but the requirement for most programs is above 80% or is 80% which is the cutoff for guaranteed res. I think the Social Science programs require 77%?