MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent!!! Where Are The Lifeguard Interviews Held The Effekt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-08-2010 10:29 AM
Take Stats 2B03 AND Stats 1CC3? kumquat Academics 7 06-23-2009 10:20 AM
STATS 2B03 vs STATS 2D03 jhan523 Academics 2 06-13-2009 12:53 AM
Dr. Childs chutneyP Professors 3 07-10-2008 01:53 PM
Stats 2D03 and Stats 2MB3 dacrown4life Academics 0 08-11-2007 09:03 PM

Where is dr childs stats class held?

Old 09-21-2010 at 05:13 PM   #1
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Where is dr childs stats class held?
I want to go to his 8 30 classes, where are they held?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010 at 05:14 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Stats 2b03....... probably should have mentioned that.
Old 09-21-2010 at 05:16 PM   #3
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

its full. we don't need more people...

Old 09-21-2010 at 05:17 PM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

but if you must its CNH 104. You just got to look at the master timetable and it tells you where and when all classes are held
Old 09-21-2010 at 05:29 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
its full. we don't need more people...
I'll get there early

The reason its full is because the other prof is terrible.
Old 09-21-2010 at 09:45 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
I'll get there early

The reason its full is because the other prof is terrible.
If you're not registered in that section, you have no right to take the seat from someone who is, no matter how awful your prof is. If you're talking about Sarr, you don't need to tell me how crappy he is, I had him too and my experience was probably worse than yours since it was his first time teaching the course and we literally only got through half the material, AND he didn't have a mic. It still doesn't give you the right to go into someone else's section and steal their spot. You got stuck with a bad prof, you have to deal with it, even though it sucks...there wouldn't be a problem going to someone else's section if it wasn't full, but why should someone else get kicked out of their section? What if it's the only one they can go to?
I'm someone who learns 99% from lectures and maybe 1% from textbook material, if I open the textbook at all, and I still managed to do well in his class...everyone I talked to did fine, even though our exam consisted of material we hadn't covered yet and we had to derive stuff we'd never seen before. Sure, it sucks, and I hated it, and I wish we'd had Childs...but none of that gives someone the right to take a seat from someone else.

Rakim says thanks to nerual for this post.

britb, Juve like this.
Old 09-21-2010 at 09:49 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're not registered in that section, you have no right to take the seat from someone who is, no matter how awful your prof is. If you're talking about Sarr, you don't need to tell me how crappy he is, I had him too and my experience was probably worse than yours since it was his first time teaching the course and we literally only got through half the material, AND he didn't have a mic. It still doesn't give you the right to go into someone else's section and steal their spot. You got stuck with a bad prof, you have to deal with it, even though it sucks...there wouldn't be a problem going to someone else's section if it wasn't full, but why should someone else get kicked out of their section? What if it's the only one they can go to?
I'm someone who learns 99% from lectures and maybe 1% from textbook material, if I open the textbook at all, and I still managed to do well in his class...everyone I talked to did fine, even though our exam consisted of material we hadn't covered yet and we had to derive stuff we'd never seen before. Sure, it sucks, and I hated it, and I wish we'd had Childs...but none of that gives someone the right to take a seat from someone else.
I actually didn't take that into consideration.

I guess ill just stick it out which probably isn't the greatest of ideas, but id rather not take someones spot.

britb, Juve, nerual like this.
Old 09-21-2010 at 09:52 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:

I guess ill just stick it out which probably isn't the greatest of ideas, but id rather not take someones spot.
I'd bet a lot of the people going to the 8:30 class who shouldn't be haven't thought about it like that...but having been in the class with the 'good' prof and having to fight for my seat in the room, it bugs me when people do that.

I don't know if this is an option, but there is also a 5:30 class...I heard the prof is okay--not amazing, but definitely better than Sarr lol. Check the master timetable for its location--it probably won't be full
Old 09-21-2010 at 09:57 PM   #9
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

i wana know how bad this sarr is but i cant find him on ratemyprofessors.com lol
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:06 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
i wana know how bad this sarr is but i cant find him on ratemyprofessors.com lol
He's new, he's a postdoc. I had him for this course in the summer--find the course review for someone else's take on him, but mine is pretty similar. He mumbles/mutters to the blackboard, and occasionally accidentally speaks French. Sitting in the first row, I had a lot of trouble hearing him. He didn't respond at all when someone asked him to speak up, and he didn't have a mic. He jumped around a lot and his notes were difficult to follow, and he had a huge emphasis on the kind of theoretical derivations you would find on wikipedia, even though we didn't need to know this. I felt like he chronically assumed we didn't know things that we did (like how to find the derivative of a polynomial) and assumed we knew things that we didn't (usually things stats-related). He never taught the stuff we needed to know for the assignments beforehand, so we'd teach it to ourself to get it done since a lot of people weren't in Hamilton other than for class, but it was due on a day we didn't have class. Then, he would go and extend the deadline after most people had completed the assignment and taught the stuff to themselves. We fell so far behind that we only completed half of the course, based on the formulas in the formula sheet--literally half of the ones on there, I don't know at all. He had almost zero emphasis on practical applications, which is dumb since that's why people are taking the course! He droned on and on about things no one cared about, but didn't spend any time on stuff we needed/wanted to know.
Make friends with the textbook! lol

Edit: I almost forgot...we were scheduled to have our midterm on a Thursday at 7pm (it was a night class). The test was going to be 7-9 or something like that, with class after (since we were so behind already). Our whole class plus the TAs were there, and he never showed up. Like, we all sat there waiting for an hour and a half, and then the TAs just let us leave. Apparently he had printing issues, and they took a while to fix (he was clearly doing it at the last minute), and then he decided "not to test us in such conditions of fear"...but he also didn't ever come to TELL us, or contact one of the TAs in any way. He ended up giving us the midterm on the following Tues, thus making us EVEN MORE behind, and I had another midterm the same day and I couldn't even plan my studying properly, since I didn't know in advance. Gah!

Last edited by nerual : 09-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:14 PM   #11
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

lmao thanks for your awesome review better than rateyouprofessors.com and now i know not to go in his classes, and he talks french ? does he think hese in quebec or somthin lmao
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:21 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
lmao thanks for your awesome review better than rateyouprofessors.com and now i know not to go in his classes, and he talks french ? does he think hese in quebec or somthin lmao
No, French is his first language (I think he said he's from Senegal? I don't know, I couldn't hear that well...) and he sometimes gets words mixed up. Like he'll say something thinking it's English when it's French, and he'll sometimes say a word and then ask us, "Is that the English word?" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to catch it unless you're in the first 1-2 rows anyways I don't really mind him asking, though, at least that means he's trying...but it's frustrating when you're already trying so hard to understand/hear him, and he doesn't realize he's using a French word for something.

Rakim likes this.
Old 09-21-2010 at 11:03 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
No, French is his first language (I think he said he's from Senegal? I don't know, I couldn't hear that well...) and he sometimes gets words mixed up. Like he'll say something thinking it's English when it's French, and he'll sometimes say a word and then ask us, "Is that the English word?" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to catch it unless you're in the first 1-2 rows anyways I don't really mind him asking, though, at least that means he's trying...but it's frustrating when you're already trying so hard to understand/hear him, and he doesn't realize he's using a French word for something.
Yeah, that's very true. Thank goodness I know French, sometimes I didn't even notice XD
Old 09-22-2010 at 09:41 AM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:

Maybe you could go but stand in the back and wait to see if there are any empty seats once the lecture has started and then sit down.

If people can't be bothered to show up on time or at all to a class then I wouldn't worry about taking their seat.
Old 09-23-2010 at 01:21 PM   #15
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

as long as ur not in my seat