Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ullal 2F03 Testing style? jimmyjones Academics 4 06-23-2009 08:54 AM
2F03 with Dr. Ullal Eva C Academics 2 01-29-2008 02:12 PM

Dr. Ullal

Old 12-26-2009 at 12:55 AM   #1
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Dr. Ullal
I keep getting mixed messages about this prof, most people people on macinsiders seem to think he is one of the best profs whereas ratemyprof reviews say that this guy is horrible. whats the real deal? And how are his courses on the bird scale? Im taking life sci 2c03 with him which is aparantly the same thing as psych 2f03.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2009 at 02:20 AM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The discrepancy is simple, he's a good prof that gives very difficult tests. The people that speak highly of him recognize that he's a good prof, the people that speak negatively are generally pissed off about the tests.
Old 12-26-2009 at 10:42 AM   #3
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

I agree - I enjoyed him as a lecturer but didn't do very well in his class (2f03). But if you pay attention in class, do the readings when you are confused and ask him questions when you don't understand then i'm sure you can do well. He aslso loves answering questions, is very enthusiastic and will slow down if you ask him to. he's just very knowledgable, and sometimes flies through topics a little quickly because he's so excited!
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:56 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Would you guys say its worth taking 2E03 with Ullal if I already have 2F03 with Goldreich? Are the tests too difficult for an 11-12 in the class?

I'm debating switching out of it from some of the things I've heard.
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:20 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Are the tests too difficult for an 11-12 in the class?

Though I've never taken this specific course, I highly encourage you to throw away this form of thinking...I know from experience that even if you throw that kind of pressure on yourself, you'll end up not caring as much and doing worse than you deserve.

So go out there, study even harder and get a 12 in this course! I dare you.

macsci, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-26-2009 at 04:04 PM   #6
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I actually heard 2E03 was pretty easy? I was told that Ullal takes everything out of his notes and you don't need the textbook.
Old 12-26-2009 at 09:20 PM   #7
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

He's a really good prof, always includes current info into the lecture, and really loves what he teaches. I found the exam MC and such to be tricky, but I guess I should have studied more beucase there was alot of memorization in Psych 2NO3, needless to say if you work hard, go to lecture, study there's no reason why you can't get a 10 or better.

also, its pretty good that he doesn't really focus alot on text books material
Old 12-26-2009 at 11:54 PM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hey sorry for a slightly off topic question but I was wondering which course one would recommend if they wanted something that was light in terms of workload and is a good experience? Sensory processes with Ullal or Animal Behaviour with Dukas? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:16 AM   #9
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Hey sorry for a slightly off topic question but I was wondering which course one would recommend if they wanted something that was light in terms of workload and is a good experience? Sensory processes with Ullal or Animal Behaviour with Dukas? Thanks!

if your dropping psych 2TT3 let me know before hand so I can take your spot..i really wanna take that course and its been full forever...and the prof/academic advisors have been useless in giving me a spot...this goes for anyone dropping 2TT3..PLEASE MSG me before hand..Thank you

EDDIITT: so i lied, im still in 2E03, so if you want it let me know..i am willing to drop it

Last edited by Scrub : 12-27-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:20 AM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
if your dropping psych 2TT3 let me know before hand so I can take your spot..i really wanna take that course and its been full forever...and the prof/academic advisors have been useless in giving me a spot...this goes for anyone dropping 2TT3..PLEASE MSG me before hand..Thank you
For sure =) (if i find that 2e03 is more suitable for me AND i get a spot in that course)

Scrub says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:23 AM   #11
Scrub
Original "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
For sure =) (if i find that 2e03 is more suitable for me AND i get a spot in that course)
damn i was in 2E03 until yesterday...i dropped it yesterday haha...we should have talked earlier..anyway i'll attempt to get 2E03 again so we can do a trade off of sorts....Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:25 AM   #12
Scrub
Original "G"

i dont know if this helps..but after tlking to people who took 2E03 last term with Ullal, they said the material is very easy its just the prof that takes some getting used too..if you go to class and pay attention (do reading before hand) you should be good to go, cause the stuff is very much memorization, and lots of random little facts he throws at you.

EDDIITT: so i lied, im still in 2E03, so if you want it let me know..i am willing to drop it

Last edited by Scrub : 12-27-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:36 AM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
i dont know if this helps..but after tlking to people who took 2E03 last term with Ullal, they said the material is very easy its just the prof that takes some getting used too..if you go to class and pay attention (do reading before hand) you should be good to go, cause the stuff is very much memorization, and lots of random little facts he throws at you.

lol let me just see if people who've taken both courses have anything to say about it and if it is favourable we can arrange some ungodly to exchange courses.
Old 12-28-2009 at 02:47 PM   #14
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

I've been trying to get into Life Sci 2C03 forever! Side note - if anyone is planning to drop it, PLEASE let me know!
I've talked to a few friends and it's pretty much what has been said - he's a good prof, is really enthusiastic about what he teaches but his tests can get a little tricky - however, if you study hard, make it to each class, take good notes and know your stuff, you should do fine =)
Old 12-28-2009 at 03:26 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

Though I've never taken this specific course, I highly encourage you to throw away this form of thinking...I know from experience that even if you throw that kind of pressure on yourself, you'll end up not caring as much and doing worse than you deserve.

So go out there, study even harder and get a 12 in this course! I dare you.
Well, at this point I would only be taking the course for fun, I'm planning on switching out of my program and this course would just be an elective for me/a course to boost my grades.

I don't mind if a course is difficult as long as the material is interesting. But since a lot of the material is repeated from 2F03 (so I've heard), it wouldn't be an interest thing. And if I already understand the material, but can't get a good mark because the tests aren't representative of how much you know, then I don't think the class would be worth paying for. If its not a degree requirement, or an interesting course, the only reason to take it that I can think of would be for a good grade. I'd rather take Biochem 2EE3 or Econ in that case (which I've heard are both easy, and I have a lot more interest in them).