Dr. Ullal sycoman Academics 24 01-06-2010 01:55 AM
P.A.P Testing burforbt General Discussion 41 10-22-2009 10:06 PM
2F03 with Dr. Ullal Eva C Academics 2 01-29-2008 02:12 PM

Ullal 2F03 Testing style?

Old 01-26-2009 at 04:51 PM   #1
jimmyjones

Liked: 0 Times

Ullal 2F03 Testing style?
Hi i was wondering if anybody could give me any information regarding how Dr. Ullal is when it comes to midterms. I have heard mixed reviews and was wondering if i could get more feedback from the mac insiders community. What kind of style does he have i have heard from everyone its strictly from lecture notes which is ok but can somebody give me an example of a question he would ask. I just need some piece of mind, Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2009 at 05:59 PM   #2
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

Hey. I'm also in 2F03. I took his sensory processes class last semester, and was pretty surprised by his testing style:

It's usually half m/c, half short answer.

The multiple choice are extremely straight-forward, but detail-oriented. There's a simple question, and four options.

Here's an example of what a multiple choice would be like:

The use of an electrode to isolate a single ion channel is known as:
a) voltage clamp
b) patch clamp
c) polymerase chain reaction
d) functional magnetic resonance imaging

(the answer's b)

That was probably easier than what would actually be on it, but you get the point. very straight-forward... there's almost NO application style questions.

In sensory, I made sure to basically memorize every detail. It's very similar to a high-school test in that regard. With that studying method, I got 12s on both midterms in that class. Make sure you know OBSCURE details, cause he'll probably test them... just understand every slide and you'll be fine.

Short answer is the other half of the test. Think hard about the MAIN concepts that we've talked about. I'm willing to bet that fMRI will be one of the SA questions. They're usually multi-part questions. Part A) Might ask you to describe how fMRI scans work. Part B) Might ask what BOLD images are. Part C) Might ask the advantages, etc. Just write every detail you know, and you'll do fine.

My only problem with Ullal's testing style is an unavoidable problem: the language barrier. I wish he'd have his TAs proofread his tests, because some of the questions are in broken english, and require a bit of deciphering. Nothing major, though.

Basically, I found Ullal's tests the easiest out of any of my classes last semester... but make sure you study or you're in for a surprise. Unlike application questions, you can't BS your way through them. They're VERY black and white.

If you don't understand anything, visit his office hours. He's really helpful in person, and gives you hints as to what's on the test

Hope I could help!

jimmyjones, L'Étoile all say thanks to mgallant for this post.
Old 01-26-2009 at 10:02 PM   #3
jimmyjones

Wow thanks a lot mgallant, good luck on the test!
Old 01-26-2009 at 11:49 PM   #4
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times

dito above -- had him a year ago or so, know your details and it should be a breeze.
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:54 AM   #5
jass

Hey are you guys reviewing him fro LIFE SCIENCE 2C03? Because I have him for that class, is he good? thanks