MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hamilton Driving School near Mac Richa General Discussion 1 09-19-2010 04:28 PM
Driving schools in Hamilton? jchoi92 Automotive & Transportation 6 08-21-2010 01:10 PM
New Law: 21 and under must have zero alcohol while driving Chad MacInsiders Announcements 37 08-04-2010 02:37 PM
Driving lessons mac-lover Automotive & Transportation 34 04-01-2010 02:31 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM

Driving Lessons

Old 01-02-2010 at 09:46 PM   #1
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Driving Lessons
So I am planning to get my G2 before my G1 expires by itself. :( I need to take driving lessons in Hamilton itself and am planning to take it and get done with the test before the end of June.
Could someone suggest me some good instructors (who take only a reasonable amount of fee), around Hamilton?
And any tips/stories for learning driving are welcomed =)

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 01-02-2010 at 09:56 PM   #2
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

For my G2 and G I went to Unipol to get some lessons.

http://www.adu.on.ca/

Most of my friends have gone there too. Most of the instructors are pretty good and help you out. My instructor took me along the route that the examinars use so I had a good idea of what to expect and passed both first time. The test centre that I went to was on Kenora.

The tests themselves are not hard at all its more about panicking cause your so nervous. Just take a deep breath and use your head while on the road lol.

Good luck!

Edit: Also you can just call Unipol up and ask for the intructors numbers. Mine was Ted and he had his own sort of private lessons for $30-50 for a couple hours and he can take you along the route of the examination which is all your really need instead of dishing out a couple hundred. Also you can rent his car for the test too!

Last edited by Ender : 01-02-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Richa, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Ender for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:18 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You know that when you get your G2 it expires at the same time as your G1 would have right? Just to let you know, because you need a year before you can attempt your G.

Richa says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:31 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You know that when you get your G2 it expires at the same time as your G1 would have right? Just to let you know, because you need a year before you can attempt your G.
They can extend your license depending on when you get your G2. I got my G2 late, so when I went to get my G, I had to pass it the first time because my license would be expired and I would have to start again.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

jhan523, Richa all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:34 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
They can extend your license depending on when you get your G2. I got my G2 late, so when I went to get my G, I had to pass it the first time because my license would be expired and I would have to start again.
Oh, I never knew that. That's very usefull to know.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:37 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

They send you a notice 6 months before your current license is to expire listing your options. I know b/c I just received mine a week or so ago, my G1 will expire in June, I have no intentions of doing anything about it but it did say something about an extension based on when you take your test. Did you get this notice yet? If not you probably have time, if so it will list what you need to do if your license is expiring soon.

Richa says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:46 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
I"m pretty sure it doesn't...I've had my G2 for 4-5 years now (and my G1 for about a year), and I have until Jan 2011 to get my G. Or they let you keep your G1 for waaaay longer than I thought (I thought it was 3 years or so?)
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:29 PM   #8
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

My dad works for Westdale Driving school...prices are good and its near mac so i think its your best bet! If your interested you can give my dad a call:

Sargon - 905 921 2358

P.s your in luck MTO examinations strike will be over Monday Jan. 4th 2010.

Good luck!

Richa says thanks to maryam17 for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:32 PM   #9
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

If you would rather go with Unipol....my brother works as a driving instructor there...lol both my dad and brother are driving instructors...you can contact my brother:

Mike - 905 902 6319
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:34 PM   #10
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richa View Post

And any tips/stories for learning driving are welcomed =)
Hmm... I guess you should just try to familiarize yourself with all the one-way streets in downtown Hamilton.
Old 01-03-2010 at 08:20 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Oh, I never knew that. That's very usefull to know.
??

You have 5 years to get from your g2 to your g, no?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-03-2010 at 11:09 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I should get on that too. If I go to one of the driving schools, would I have to take the full course (i.e. including the in-class hours?) Or can I just get actual road practice right away?
Also, what's the price range per hour?
Old 01-03-2010 at 01:19 PM   #13
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

Technically, you don't have to take any driving instruction in order to get your G2, HOWEVER, taking lessons has 3 big advantages:

1. Helps you to learn properly to be a good, safe driver (learning from someone qualified, instead of just a parent or friend)
2. Most insurance companies will give you a discount if you have completed instruction (min. # of hours in-class and in-car) at a ministry-recognized driving instruction place.
3. Completing this allows you to get your G2 in 8 months from your G1 date instead of the normal 12 months.

Last edited by scott000 : 01-03-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: didn't proof-read

Richa, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to scott000 for this post.
Old 01-03-2010 at 02:19 PM   #14
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Technically, you have 5 years to go from G1 -> G2 -> G.

Richa says thanks to KayakerDan for this post.
Old 01-03-2010 at 04:09 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
Technically, you don't have to take any driving instruction in order to get your G2, HOWEVER, taking lessons has 3 big advantages:

1. Helps you to learn properly to be a good, safe driver (learning from someone qualified, instead of just a parent or friend)
2. Most insurance companies will give you a discount if you have completed instruction (min. # of hours in-class and in-car) at a ministry-recognized driving instruction place.
3. Completing this allows you to get your G2 in 8 months from your G1 date instead of the normal 12 months.
Yes, I understand. but that's not exactly my question. It's been over 12 months since I did my G1. So all I need is actually hands-on practice and time on the road. Do any places offer just that, without being tied down with having to complete a full course (nothing against that, but I'd rather have the time spent on the road).