MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hamilton Driving School near Mac Richa General Discussion 1 09-19-2010 04:28 PM
Driving schools in Hamilton? jchoi92 Automotive & Transportation 6 08-21-2010 01:10 PM
New Law: 21 and under must have zero alcohol while driving Chad MacInsiders Announcements 37 08-04-2010 02:37 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM
Driving Lessons Richa Automotive & Transportation 19 01-03-2010 06:31 PM

Driving lessons

Old 03-29-2010 at 02:27 PM   #1
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times

Driving lessons
So I've had my G1 for quite a bit now, and I'm looking forward to getting my G2 this summer. However, I do need a few refresher lessons, and since I'll be in Hamilton during exams anyway.. why not? Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have tried any of the driving schools around Hamilton, Unipol, Westdale, etc. And what do you guys recommend? Also, what's the general rate /hour for just private in-car lessons, because I've heard a lot of varied rates.
Thank you!
Old 03-29-2010 at 02:48 PM   #2

Liked: 31 Times

I did mine at Universal on Upper James. They're as good as any other. I have heard Diamond (possibly also on UJ) is cheap. As long as they're certified so you get your insurance discount, it really doesn't matter where you go. I do know that while they are generally considered the best from my knowledge, Young Drivers is very expensive.
If you're going to take the test in Hamilton, you will be driving down by Barton, Kenora and Centennial in East Hamilton/Stoney Creek. It's an industrial area so its a tad more intense than a quiet residential area. It would be good to get some practice in around there.
Also, to get the insurance discount you need to have done driving school in something like the last 3 yrs so if you're G license is going to fall outside of that date, you may consider doing the full course.
Old 03-29-2010 at 02:58 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

any advice for someone doing their G test in Hamilton?

PS: I've been driving for 5 years and I'm quite confident... just looking for any tips/tricks, things to watch out for that the tester may throw at me, etc.
Old 03-29-2010 at 03:36 PM   #4
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I just did my G test, so here's some tips:

-Watch out for the one-way streets, and the streets that change from one-way to two-way and back again.
-Do lots of shoulder checks, and look around a lot at traffic. Make sure it's obvious that you're doing this. Also check your mirrors (inc. the centre one).
-Before you go through an intersection do a left-centre-right scan of the intersection. --Make sure you shoulder check, put on your signal, and shoulder check again before lane changes, and make sure you shoulder check going around corners.
Old 03-29-2010 at 03:52 PM   #5
marieeeeeee

I'm not taking my G test in Hamilton but I've only called one driving school (Unipol) and the guy gave me an instructor's number and I asked how much his rate was per hour and he was going to charge me $110 for 2 hours because I didn't enroll at driving school there. o_O I am sure there are cheaper rates than $55/hour! I ended up just getting private lessons in Mississauga (where I'm from) the instructor only charges me $30/hour.
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:14 PM   #6
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

I got my driving lessons done at young drivers at hughson and main. It was kind of expensive, but they were very thorough and very helpful, and gave two mock g2 tests to let you know what to watch out for and generally how you're driving.
a couple of my friends got it at universal lessons on upper james and were happy with it too, and it was less expensive.

if you get your g2/g at hamilton's kenora centre, they are apparently more finicky than the place in burlington (i've had friends go both places). Make sure to make all your mirror checks/blind spot checks obvious, moving more than just your eyes. i know two people who failed driving tests because they apparently did not check their mirrors, when they were.
Old 03-29-2010 at 06:00 PM   #7
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I just did my G test, so here's some tips:

-Watch out for the one-way streets, and the streets that change from one-way to two-way and back again.
-Do lots of shoulder checks, and look around a lot at traffic. Make sure it's obvious that you're doing this. Also check your mirrors (inc. the centre one).
-Before you go through an intersection do a left-centre-right scan of the intersection. --Make sure you shoulder check, put on your signal, and shoulder check again before lane changes, and make sure you shoulder check going around corners.

What location did you do your test at? Im going for G soon, kinda nervous though:(
Old 03-29-2010 at 10:04 PM   #8
Maegs
Elite Member

I did mine in Burlington, not Hamilton since I've driven waaay more in Burlington
Old 03-30-2010 at 09:20 PM   #9
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Got my G a while back.

G2 and the G test were pretty straightforward. I did both of them here in Hamilton @ Kenora. <-clicky
Prior to both tests I called up an instructor I know from Unipol and he pretty much showed me the route that the examiners take.

If you do your test at Kenora the route I remember was as follows:

MAP

You'll pull out of the driving centre and head towards Centennial Pkwy. Before you hit that street you may be asked to do an emergency stop. Then you'll merge onto the QEW heading towards Fruitland Road where you will then exit. If theres construction on the highway or some major traffic you'll take the service road (80km/hr!!) back towards Kenora and exit on Centennial Pkwy. You'll go past Barton St. and into the residential neighbourhood where you do 3 pt turn., emergency stop, left turn on major intersection etc. You then head back to the Kenora Driving Center and enter the closed course in the back where you do the parrallel park b/w two pylons lol easy stuff and another 3 pt turn I think. Then you just park your car in the lot and thats it.

Tips for both tests:
-If you havent been driving frequently and kind of feel uncomfortable then definetly take some hours with a instructor!
-If you do have a ton of experience driving maybe take 1 hour to get out of those bad habits. (driving with one hand, etc)
-Do the test somewhere you are familar with or at least driven around once or twice!
-CONTROL of your vehicle is what this test is all about.
-SHOULDER CHECKS are very important NEVER rely on just mirrors. Auto fail haha.
-Constantly check those mirrors (side and rear). Move your head around and try to exagerate this movement dont be lazy and just move your eyes! It may look/feel wierd but its very important.
-Watch your SPEED every few seconds! Your going to be nervous so you may be concentrating on one thing too long and forget. Dont be to slow or too fast. 5km/hr over speed limit especially in school zone is a huge mistake. G is more strict about speed than G2 imo.
-Adjust to weather conditions. (Just started raining go a bit slow and keep larger distance b/w vehicles)
-Signal well ahead of time. (I was told by my instructor usually right before 3 of those electric poles before the lights or something like that)
-Dont overtake people if you are not comfortable!
-Drive in the right hand lane. Normally I just do whatever's convienient but the technical way is right hand lane always.
-When at a stop take advantage. Look around you and be prepared for whats up ahead. Observe the signs/pedestrians etc. Also come to a complete stop and move your body around showing the examiner your looking all around you.
-Watch for potholes in the road. Keep the ride smooth and also dont brake suddenly ease to a stop. =D
-NEVER take BOTH hands off the steering wheel! Dont go back into that bad habit of driving with one hand lol.
-Make sure the car your using is one that your confident in! Auto or Manual whichever you think is better for you. Also make sure your lights are in working order and stuff. I saw 2-3 people before me just had to reshedule there exams because the car had problems.
-Dont dwell on what you previously did. (Ie. Did I just royally f**k up that 3 pt turn??) Just keep on going (unless the examiner starts yelling at you to get outta the car haha)! I dont think I did my parallel as great as it should have been but I still got through!
-Most of all breathe and think about what you should be doing at that moment!

Good luck!

Last edited by Colin : 03-30-2010 at 09:55 PM.

bieneres, Taunton all say thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.

Maegs likes this.
Old 03-30-2010 at 10:17 PM   #10
Maegs
Elite Member

Also, if you're driving a standard, make sure you down shift through all the gears before stopping, don't just put the clutch in and brake then change gears or w/e. And don't drive with your hand on the shifter (which is one of my habits), only take your hand off the wheel when you're actually changing gears.
Old 03-30-2010 at 10:19 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
Also, if you're driving a standard, make sure you down shift through all the gears before stopping, don't just put the clutch in and brake then change gears or w/e. And don't drive with your hand on the shifter (which is one of my habits), only take your hand off the wheel when you're actually changing gears.
Honestly, I think that's a BS rule thingy. Last I checked, it's not a safety concern and if you need to break suddenly, you push in the clutch and break. Last thing on my mind is shifting down properly. /ragefais.

But yea, seriously, exxagerate your head movements. Almost funny, because you would think purposely trying to make it obvious that you're doing it the "correct" way would be more distracting to you as a driver.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-30-2010 at 10:35 PM   #12
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Honestly, I think that's a BS rule thingy. Last I checked, it's not a safety concern and if you need to break suddenly, you push in the clutch and break. Last thing on my mind is shifting down properly. /ragefais.

But yea, seriously, exxagerate your head movements. Almost funny, because you would think purposely trying to make it obvious that you're doing it the "correct" way would be more distracting to you as a driver.
I don't think you need to downshift when you have to slam on the brakes. But when you're approaching a stoplight, you are technically supposed to downshift where appropriate, so that if you for some reason needed to speed up suddenly (only thing I can think of is someone coming up behind you way too fast), you're already in the best gear to do so.
Old 03-30-2010 at 11:10 PM   #13
Maegs
Elite Member

Basically, make sure you do it on the test. They tell you to do it at the start of the test, so I assume that if you didn't do it, you'd fail.
Old 03-30-2010 at 11:48 PM   #14
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
I don't think you need to downshift when you have to slam on the brakes. But when you're approaching a stoplight, you are technically supposed to downshift where appropriate, so that if you for some reason needed to speed up suddenly (only thing I can think of is someone coming up behind you way too fast), you're already in the best gear to do so.
Yup, that's the reason.

Quote:
-Drive in the right hand lane. Normally I just do whatever's convienient but the technical way is right hand lane always.

SO SO SO important, not just for your road test, but when you drive ANYWHERE. Left lane hogs are a HUGE reason why we have such traffic problems here. If you are not passing, STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE. If someone wants to pass you and you're in the left lane, MOVE OVER.

sorry, personal rant and touchy issue for me.

Maegs, sniderj like this.
Old 03-30-2010 at 11:51 PM   #15
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Yup, that's the reason.

SO SO SO important, not just for your road test, but when you drive ANYWHERE. Left lane hogs are a HUGE reason why we have such traffic problems here. If you are not passing, STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE. If someone wants to pass you and you're in the left lane, MOVE OVER.

sorry, personal rant and touchy issue for me.
At the risk of knocking this post completely off topic... I agree completely. Nothing pisses me off more than someone ripping along in the left lane at 5 km/h over the limit thinking it's their turf. Get... the ****... out of the way

Maegs likes this.