MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping a Third Year Course ghumanm Academics 2 01-06-2014 05:02 PM
Taking 2nd year courses in 3rd or 4th year LindsayL216 Academics 2 06-06-2012 09:26 AM
dropping a course in first year? aw07 General Discussion 6 10-14-2011 05:23 PM
Dropping out of First Year. HELP PLEASE. bazinga First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-02-2011 07:48 PM

Dropping a Course in 4th Year

Old 10-19-2016 at 08:22 PM   #1
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Dropping a Course in 4th Year
Hey guys,

So I'm a 4th year science student who is currently on track to graduate this year. My problem is that I really dislike one of my electives. I know that the add/drop period has passed so obviously I can't just swap it for another course. If I was in any other year I could just drop it and take a course in the summer or another year. However, being in 4th year now I feel as though if I drop it, I'll have to take a course during the summer which screws up my plans to graduate this spring, find a summer job, and apply to graduate schools (since I would no longer be taking a full course load).

I do plan to drop in to the academic advisor office but I was just wondering if any of you have advice/comments for me.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2016 at 11:16 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

You need to tough it out it seems. Not liking a course doesn't justify you dropping it, unless you don't like it so much it hurts your grade in it.
Old 10-20-2016 at 07:56 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Either stick it out or overload next term.
Old 10-28-2016 at 04:31 PM   #4
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Keep in mind that most graduate or professional schools either look solely at your last X credits (usually 20) or weight those more heavily. I generally agree with the advice to stick it out, unless the disinterest will result in poor effort/unsubmitted assignments, which in turn leads to a poor grade.
Old 10-31-2016 at 07:05 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I would book a meeting with your academic advisor to get their official take on the situation, seeing your grades and weighing your options.

You mention disliking an elective, I assume that means you have (or are expecting to get) a really bad grade in that class?

If it's a really bad grade you're expecting, and you want to avoid it hurting your overall grade average, then you could 'cancel' the course and take additional courses as you mentioned, over the summer, or next year by overloading your schedule with an additional class.

Last day for cancelling courses without failure by default is Friday, November 4th 2016.