MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
final mark MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-03-2012 10:57 AM
FInal exams AM17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-05-2011 10:31 AM
final marks MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-26-2011 08:48 PM
Stanley Cup Final Infinity General Discussion 18 06-16-2009 06:51 PM
Quarters - The Final Five temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 25 04-10-2009 11:10 AM

Dropping a Course Before a Final

Old 12-14-2013 at 04:51 PM   #1
parkmv

Liked: 0 Times

Dropping a Course Before a Final
Hello! I am not doing well in Intro to Econ (I am in first year social sciences) and am planning on dropping the course before the final this Friday. HOWEVER, if I drop the course.. will it show up as a 0 on my GPA and lower my average???

If it does, I will not drop the course and pass with a 50% most likely... which is better than a 0.
If it doesn't, I will surely drop it and make-up for the dropped course next semester/this summer.

Thank you to anyone who can help
Old 12-14-2013 at 04:53 PM   #2
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

it will show up as a 0

kinda late to be changing your mind on a course as well....
Old 12-14-2013 at 04:55 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You can't drop courses anymore. The last date to cancel any classes was November 8
You just have to try your best for the final. By the way, when you drop/cancel a course it won't show as a zero on your grade report.
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:00 PM   #4
parkmv

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you both!

So if I "canceled or dropped" the course tonight, it would not show up on my transcript as a 0 thus not lower my average?

On SOLAR it reads "academic failure by default" which means that will show on my transcript which I am fine with, but will it lower my GPA average? Because that I am not fine with :(
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:01 PM   #5
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

if you drop the course before the last day to cancel, it will show up as cancelled.
if you drop the course after that day (not sure if you need permission from registrar or not) it will show up as a 0.
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:09 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Which econ? Trust me, there's plenty of time to prepare and kill that final. Give it your best shot!
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:44 PM   #7
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkmv View Post
Thank you both!

So if I "canceled or dropped" the course tonight, it would not show up on my transcript as a 0 thus not lower my average?

On SOLAR it reads "academic failure by default" which means that will show on my transcript which I am fine with, but will it lower my GPA average? Because that I am not fine with :(
it will show up as 0 if you drop it now. if you drop between June-mid september (for fall/winter), nothing is recorded. If you drop between mid sept-early Nov., it will show on your transcript as cancelled. If you drop after that, you automatically get a 0.
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:48 PM   #8
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

also if you fail econ 1b03, you should probably reconsider continuing in university (or at least drastically change your work habits). it may sound harsh, but micro is one of the easiest courses offered.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:05 PM   #9
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

You shouldn't think of dropping the course. I can help you study for Econ if you want. I got 100% in both the midterms despite studying 1 day before each, so I'm pretty sure if you start studying now, you can also get a solid mark. PM me if you want any help.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:07 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Academic FAILURE by default = 0 on your transcript.

Also, 50% is a 1, which is better than a 0, but anything below 50% counts as 0 towards your GPA (and you don't earn the credits), so 50% is cutting it pretty close.

All of the dates are listed on the registrar's website; it's a good idea to be familiar with them at the start of term (or even earlier) so that you don't run into issues like this where it's the middle of December and you wish you had dropped it when you had the chance.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:25 PM   #11
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

When i was taking 1st year econ i didnt go to a single class and my friends did the iclickers for me.
I still got an A+ in the course because the final exam was so easy.
I remember spending like 3 days to study for it and get 95ish on the exam.
If your exam is on Friday... that is MORE THAN ENOUGH time to study and ace the exam. You should even be able to listen to all the podcasts..
Old 12-14-2013 at 08:31 PM   #12
nadinee

Liked: 16 Times

you guys some people don't always do that well in courses it doesn't matter how "easy" the course is. Anyways I was on the same boat as you last year. I took econ, trust me just study, review all lecture notes/readings and try practicing some of the questions. You can pass this. If I can pass it, you can too. If your exam is on friday, you have a good amount of time to pull at least an 80 on this. Dont be worried the exam was very easy.
Old 12-14-2013 at 11:57 PM   #13
Sweety

Liked: 7 Times

wow some of you are so rude...just because its a bird course for some, for others it may not be. It all depends on if you are interested in the course. If u have no passion for it, you will most likely have a hard time doing well. Good luck with the exam, definitely don't drop! Just study one topic, then do a few practice ques and study another topic and do some practice etc etc.

giftedchick, yoonbora like this.
Old 12-15-2013 at 12:31 AM   #14
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

My intent wasn't to be rude or dis-encourage her. I was simply stating that I did pretty well in the midterms so I could help her study if she wanted me to.
Old 12-15-2013 at 12:43 AM   #15
Sweety

Liked: 7 Times

I was clearly not talking about you nucleus, I said SOME of you. You were actually very nice to offer to help! I was more commenting on other people...who says "you should prob reconsider continuing in university" ...its one elective course.... Ive had a lot of friends take courses (myself included) because other ppl said they were a "bird" course, but we ended up not doing so well because we simply weren't interested in the topic.

nadinee likes this.