MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you know which books are required for your program? viktoreeatee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-29-2010 02:24 PM
Required Courses For Mech Eng and Society (Second Year) ftaylor Academics 2 06-15-2010 02:48 AM
Second year required course Syngatezz Academics 1 05-30-2010 08:06 PM
Minimum grades required for 2nd year Kinesiology James Academics 1 11-17-2008 09:59 PM
Required GPA For second year FaisalAbid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-18-2008 04:59 PM

Dropping a course that is required in 1st year program

Old 08-12-2010 at 11:20 AM   #1
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

Dropping a course that is required in 1st year program
So I'm in 1st year physical science and 2 physics are required 1BO3 and 1BA3 or1BB3
One of them is said to be hard(1BA3)and I probably wont need it in second year but I added to my timetable anyway because it fits better than 1bb3
Since not being able to get on solar in the first few hours my plan is totally spoiled and I will have to change many other cores if I replace it with 1bb3

So I'm thinking taking Astron ( which I like) instead of physics 1ba3

But I think in that case it wont count as completing Physical Science I actually I wil be shadowing Life science I

So is it gonna work?
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:40 AM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

yup it shuld, you just gotta get INTO life sci next year... so u need the bios, chems, physics , math, and psychs.... if you dont take those , ur not shadowing life sci thus you wont get into life next year or physical sci
Old 08-12-2010 at 08:24 PM   #3
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
yup it shuld, you just gotta get INTO life sci next year... so u need the bios, chems, physics , math, and psychs.... if you dont take those , ur not shadowing life sci thus you wont get into life next year or physical sci
but most life science program only need 1 physics so I plan to take only 1 , is that ok?
Old 08-12-2010 at 09:08 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
but most life science program only need 1 physics so I plan to take only 1 , is that ok?
What do you mean by "most"? There is only 1 life science program...
Old 08-12-2010 at 09:36 PM   #5
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
What do you mean by "most"? There is only 1 life science program...
Oh I mean life science ,chemical biology ,biochemistry ,biology or even chemistry

They all need only 1 physics
Old 08-12-2010 at 09:41 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oh I mean life science ,chemical biology ,biochemistry ,biology or even chemistry

Yeah they aren't life science programs, they are just science programs. If you don't need the second physics then don't take it.

If you are planning to apply to professional and/or graduate schools then you should make sure you only need 1 physics for that too. You have to search up each school and their programs separately.

Kayee says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-12-2010 at 09:47 PM   #7
theatreboybr

Liked: 0 Times

nope you gotta follow your requirements
Old 08-12-2010 at 10:22 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

ChemBio and Chem are considered 'physical sciences', not 'life sciences'. For chem, you need two physics courses--1BA3 or 1BB3 must be completed by the end of level 2, and it's strongly recommended you complete them in level 1.

Quote:
nope you gotta follow your requirements

No, that's not true. I know people in Life Sci who took the physical sci courses (two maths & two physics, but no psych) and people in Physical Sci who took the life sci courses (1 or 2 maths and 1 physics, plus 1 psych), and people who took 1 or 2 maths and 1 physics but no psych (thus not fulfilling the requirements of physical sci 1 or life sci 1). People intending to switch programs do this all the time--you don't need to take the required courses from your program if you have every intention of switching out. For physical sci, there isn't even an honours physical science option like there is for life sci, so you either specialize or do a 3-year degree. If you're specializing, then you just need to make sure you have the required courses for the specializations you want.

Kayee says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:03 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I just wanted to add that I feel so much pride when I remember that I'm a Physical Science. I'm not saying it's a superior major; it's just not a very common one.
Now here's to staying in.

But yes, if you're sure you want to switch into Life Sci...actually, you know what, if you meet all the prereqs, email the Science department right now and explain that you want to transfer. Saves you the trouble of shadowing, even though it doesn't really make a difference in the long run, it's just one less thing to worry about.
Edit: By prereqs, I mean admission prereqs, such as all the Top 6 courses needed for Life Sci including the minimum average required for admission

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-12-2010 at 11:23 PM   #10
Kayee

I'm going to do an honours program.

I checked the calendar ,for biochemistry, biology and chemical biology u need to complete Physics 1B03 by level 2
for chemistry either physics 1BA3 or 1BB3 and Math 1B03 is required by level 2

and I'm taking 2 chems, 2bios ,Math 1AO3 and 1AA3 ,2econs, Physics 1b03 and astron(I like astron)

all the 4 programs do not need Math 1AA3 , some suggest taking math 1b03 and physics 1bb3

So should I replace math 1aa3 with 1b03 and astron with physics 1bb3 or 1ba3?
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:29 PM   #11
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I just wanted to add that I feel so much pride when I remember that I'm a Physical Science. I'm not saying it's a superior major; it's just not a very common one.
Now here's to staying in.

But yes, if you're sure you want to switch into Life Sci...actually, you know what, if you meet all the prereqs, email the Science department right now and explain that you want to transfer. Saves you the trouble of shadowing, even though it doesn't really make a difference in the long run, it's just one less thing to worry about.
Edit: By prereqs, I mean admission prereqs, such as all the Top 6 courses needed for Life Sci including the minimum average required for admission
Wow can I switch to another program like right now?
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:34 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I'm going to do an honours program.

I checked the calendar ,for biochemistry, biology and chemical biology u need to complete Physics 1B03 by level 2
for chemistry either physics 1BA3 or 1BB3 and Math 1B03 is required by level 2

and I'm taking 2 chems, 2bios ,Math 1AO3 and 1AA3 ,2econs, Physics 1b03 and astron(I like astron)

all the 4 programs do not need Math 1AA3 , some suggest taking math 1b03 and physics 1bb3

So should I replace math 1aa3 with 1b03 and astron with physics 1bb3 or 1ba3?
Personally, I think math 1AA3 is more useful than math 1B03 if you're going into biochem or chembio. Most of the math you'll come across involves integration and derivatives. I've only taken 1AA3, not 1B03, so I don't know if the reason I'm not finding 1B03 useful is because I didn't take it, but there has never been a time when I wished I had because it would make what I'm learning easier. There have been many instances where I was glad I took 1AA3, and I know people who didn't that wished they had.
I don't know how useful either of them would be in bio, since I really don't take that many bio courses

Physics 1BB3 is recommended for biochem and chembio (again, don't know about biology) but I don't think it's necessary. I haven't taken the course, but I've only rarely ever come across things where I'm like "wow, 1BB3 would have been so useful for this!" (the one time that comes to mind is the electrochem part of chembio 2A03/2AA3, which is a required course for both chembio and biochem). If you want to take it, go for it, but you can always take it in upper years or during the summer if you want. If you're planning on applying to professional schools, you should look into whether or not a full year of physics (with lab) is a requirement, because if it is, you'll need to take 1BB3 eventually.

Kayee says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:35 PM   #13
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

k u need to calm down... i think u shuld just TRY first year.. u might not actually like these courses trust my love of chem def changed when i got here so i ruled out alot of chem n biochem programs
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:36 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Wow can I switch to another program like right now?
Tough to say, it's generally harder in first year because all the programs are usually at capacity. But call an academic adviser tomorrow and see.

In any case, there shouldn't be any restrictions on taking courses unless you want to switch into Kinesiology or Health Science or something like that. So you can just take the courses required for the level II program you want to apply to.

Kayee says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:39 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
k u need to calm down... i think u shuld just TRY first year.. u might not actually like these courses trust my love of chem def changed when i got here so i ruled out alot of chem n biochem programs
Oh, of course! It could go the opposite way, too--I never thought I'd end up in a chemistry program (I wanted to go into bio), then I ended up loving chem and although I still like certain kinds of bio, I realized I hate learning about it and would NOT want to be in a bio program (with the possible exception of biopharm)...so now I'm in chembio Things can definitely change, the courses or potential programs someone is thinking of now aren't set in stone...but many of the programs have the same prereqs, and it's way easier to drop a course than add one