MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone dropping these courses nadia1 Academics 0 07-16-2010 11:49 AM
Question about Dropping Courses Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-14-2010 01:19 AM
URGENT! Dropping Courses Ruggedman Academics 28 11-02-2009 04:26 PM
Dropping courses at the deadline Goce Academics 5 02-26-2009 06:35 PM
Dropping courses Afrisa Academics 1 11-02-2007 09:51 AM

DROPPING COURSES...short of credits

Old 11-10-2009 at 04:36 PM   #1
Roshaan

Liked: 1 Time

DROPPING COURSES...short of credits
Hi,
I'm in Engineering I. Apparently I did extremely bad on my math and psychology midterm. So yea, Im dropping psych 1X03 and 1Z04 math. I can't take 1ZZ4 second semester as I am dropping the pre-req. I'll have to drop both the math courses and take them over the summer. so yea... 3 courses over the summer... ill be short of 12 credits...

The main reason I'm dropping these courses is that they are pulling my average down [aiming to get into mechanical engineering & management ]. I discussed this with an academic advisor and apparently my admission to 2nd year Engineering will be based on the courses that I complete over these two semesters although I will not have the 31 necessary credits. I will be eligible for a conditional offer [will have to complete the required courses over the summer with the required C.A].

I'm just a little paranoid about not having the required credits when students for 2nd year engineering are picked... would I stand an equal chance to to get into Mech.Eng&Management in comparison to a student with the same overall C.A??
Old 11-10-2009 at 04:52 PM   #2
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshaan View Post
Hi,
I'm in Engineering I. Apparently I did extremely bad on my math and psychology midterm. So yea, Im dropping psych 1X03 and 1Z04 math. I can't take 1ZZ4 second semester as I am dropping the pre-req. I'll have to drop both the math courses and take them over the summer. so yea... 3 courses over the summer... ill be short of 12 credits...

The main reason I'm dropping these courses is that they are pulling my average down [aiming to get into mechanical engineering & management ]. I discussed this with an academic advisor and apparently my admission to 2nd year Engineering will be based on the courses that I complete over these two semesters although I will not have the 31 necessary credits. I will be eligible for a conditional offer [will have to complete the required courses over the summer with the required C.A].

I'm just a little paranoid about not having the required credits when students for 2nd year engineering are picked... would I stand an equal chance to to get into Mech.Eng&Management in comparison to a student with the same overall C.A??
I see your point, I did the same thing since I was scared it would bring down my average.
Are you on OSAP, if you are, you might want to consider this:

Please be aware that students must maintain a minimumsatisfactory academic standard to continue to be eligible for OSAP funding.

Indicators of unsatisfactory progress are:
  • multiple course failures
  • multiple course drops/cancellations
  • program changes
  • withdrawals
  • lack of clear career direction
We are required by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to monitor the academic progress of all students who receive provincial and/or federal funding. Students who are not successful academically may be restricted from future OSAP funding.
If you have questions about how these guidelines may affect you, please drop in to see a Student Loan Officer in Gilmour Hall 120, Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 11:30am and 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

I just received an e-mail from them about this and so you might have received it too. About the mechanical engineering thing, I can't really help you about that since I don't know anything about it. Sorry!

Last edited by Iamanonymous : 11-10-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:43 PM   #3
Roshaan

I'm not on OSAP... right now im just worried about getting the required CA. My marks are at average or below average in most of my courses.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:44 PM   #4
Roshaan

thanks for the info though
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:25 PM   #5
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

As far as I know, ideally,you should take as many units of courses as possible because when your CA is calculated and suppose it is 9 with 25 Units and someone else has a CA of 9 with 37 units, and both of you want to get into Mechanical Engineering, he will get preference over you. But since you are not doing well in Math, you have no other option but to drop it because if you don't then you might not have any chance to get into Mech at all. Mech has one of the highest CA required to get into.
Old 11-10-2009 at 10:38 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
As far as I know, ideally,you should take as many units of courses as possible because when your CA is calculated and suppose it is 9 with 25 Units and someone else has a CA of 9 with 37 units, and both of you want to get into Mechanical Engineering, he will get preference over you. But since you are not doing well in Math, you have no other option but to drop it because if you don't then you might not have any chance to get into Mech at all. Mech has one of the highest CA required to get into.
I suggest you dont drop Math 1Z04 (I did horrible on the first midterm aswell as half the class ) if you do end up doing that try and get a letter from Dr. Childs/McLean to get into Math 1ZZ5 (Not sure how this works, best to ask Mrs. Williams but it is possible) Personally I found Math 1ZZ5 awhole lot easier than Math 1Z04. Anyways the CA cutoff for each stream changes from year to year, so who knows you might even be able to get into Mech Eng with a really low CA maybe not management though.

Last edited by Colin : 11-10-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2009 at 11:50 AM   #7
Roshaan

well... heres the confusing part... my academic advisor is saying that my admission to mech.Eng will be based on the marks of the courses I have completed in the 2 semesters (even if i do not meet the required credits)... however I will have to complete the required courses over the summer with the required marks ... as the offer will be conditional...
Im thinking they might take the summer courses as a temporary no mark... =s??
Old 11-11-2009 at 11:52 AM   #8
Roshaan

@Colin...both of my math tests defined horrible... and theres only 54% of the course marks left now... so yea... cant do that much for math...
Old 11-11-2009 at 12:13 PM   #9
leaffan

Liked: 4 Times

I believe they calculate the average by multiplying your CA by the number of units. Is you drop 3 courses you will have 28 units and everyone else will have 37. This is going to make it very difficult if not impossible to get in. You definitely should talk to an academic adviser before dropping classes.