MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone dropping these courses nadia1 Academics 0 07-16-2010 11:49 AM
Question about Dropping Courses Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-14-2010 01:19 AM
Urgent! 2nd year courses question ... EngLufLuf General Discussion 8 06-29-2009 12:33 AM
Dropping courses at the deadline Goce Academics 5 02-26-2009 06:35 PM
Dropping courses Afrisa Academics 1 11-02-2007 09:51 AM

URGENT! Dropping Courses

Old 10-10-2009 at 03:32 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

URGENT! Dropping Courses
Hi guys, i had a quick question and was hoping i could get some favourable responses towards this.

I am currently doing horrible in one of my classes, and was considering dropping it. That would leave me with only 4 courses this semester however i did take a course in summer school so at the end of the year i would still finish with the required 30 units.

Both the course i took in summer shcool and this one are electives therefore i would have completed 3 units in summer, 12 first semester (if i dropped this) and 15 next leaving me with 30 in total.

Can i still drop a course at this point in time without any academic or money penalty? And would any of you advise doing this/donethis before.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-10-2009 at 03:34 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
Hi guys, i had a quick question and was hoping i could get some favourable responses towards this.

I am currently doing horrible in one of my classes, and was considering dropping it. That would leave me with only 4 courses this semester however i did take a course in summer school so at the end of the year i would still finish with the required 30 units.

Both the course i took in summer shcool and this one are electives therefore i would have completed 3 units in summer, 12 first semester (if i dropped this) and 15 next leaving me with 30 in total.

Can i still drop a course at this point in time without any academic or money penalty? And would any of you advise doing this/donethis before.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
There will be no academic penalty. As for money: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ncellation.pdf
Old 10-10-2009 at 03:40 PM   #3
Ruggedman

Thank You so much, really helpful article.

Also, how would i recieve that money back if i onyl charged for 40-50% of the course. And will this show up on my grades or transcripts? I don't want a mistake to go wrong and see an F on one of my classes just because i dropped it mid-way.
Old 10-10-2009 at 04:36 PM   #4
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

Also, how would i recieve that money back if i onyl charged for 40-50% of the course. And will this show up on my grades or transcripts? I don't want a mistake to go wrong and see an F on one of my classes just because i dropped it mid-way.
If you drop it before November 6, it will show as 'cancelled' on your transcript. If you drop after nov. 6, its an automatic fail.
Also I believe you will get a cheque for the refund.
Old 10-10-2009 at 04:46 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You will get the money credited to your student account, and there may be a way to get that money sent to you. I would advise going to Student Accounts in Gilmour Hall.
Old 10-10-2009 at 04:47 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

The money will first show up in your Student Account (MUGSI -> My Student Accounts & Cashiers -> Student Account). They will then send a cheque, not sure when though.
Old 10-10-2009 at 09:30 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The money will first show up in your Student Account (MUGSI -> My Student Accounts & Cashiers -> Student Account). They will then send a cheque, not sure when though.
They will not automatically send you the cheque. The money will just be credited to your student account. If you want the money, you will have to go in and ask them to mail it to you (at least that is what I had to do).
Old 10-10-2009 at 09:43 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
They will not automatically send you the cheque. The money will just be credited to your student account. If you want the money, you will have to go in and ask them to mail it to you (at least that is what I had to do).
That's odd... Last year when I had extra money in my student account they mailed me a cheque... Maybe it's different when you cancel a course...
Old 10-10-2009 at 09:59 PM   #9
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's odd... Last year when I had extra money in my student account they mailed me a cheque... Maybe it's different when you cancel a course...
That is weird. When I dropped a course last year (2nd term), I was also under the impression that I would just get a cheque for the money. I waited for about 2 months, and then went in to see the Student Accounts and Cashiers. After waiting in line for 30 minutes, they released the money. Maybe you were just lucky

I suppose if you want to be certain that you will get a cheque, you can always just email Student Accounts and Cashiers ([email protected] ster.ca)
Old 10-10-2009 at 10:02 PM   #10
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I just checked my student account, apperently the school owes me $4.70 lol.
Old 10-10-2009 at 10:18 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The school actually owes me quite a large amount of money, lol. I would have just left it for next year, but I think the interest might make it worth it.
Old 10-15-2009 at 10:48 PM   #12
Ruggedman

If i drop the class before November 6th 2009 (which is the cutoff date) why will it still show on the transcript as NO MARK. I personally do no want a NO MARK on my transcript
Old 10-15-2009 at 11:13 PM   #13
MelissaL

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
If i drop the class before November 6th 2009 (which is the cutoff date) why will it still show on the transcript as NO MARK. I personally do no want a NO MARK on my transcript
It will show up as Cancelled on your transcript - not NO MARK. This is because you dropped the course after the drop-and-add deadline which was in late September. Unfortunately, you can't get around it - but it is really not a big deal
Old 10-20-2009 at 06:49 PM   #14
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

if i drop a course now, i will only have completed 27 credits. is it a bad idea to enter 2nd year without having completed 30 credits; i know i'll eventually make up for that class (probably next year).
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:39 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
if i drop a course now, i will only have completed 27 credits. is it a bad idea to enter 2nd year without having completed 30 credits; i know i'll eventually make up for that class (probably next year).
I'm pretty sure you can still apply to second year programs with 27 units, as long as you complete all the prerequisites.

You can always make up the credits, the best way would be in summer school.