MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is there to do in Finance? lawleypop Volunteering Opportunities 48 07-20-2010 02:11 PM
Minor in Finance John H General Discussion 23 10-10-2009 12:11 AM
New Personal Finance Course Chad Academics 1 07-27-2007 03:35 PM

Dropping Finance? Please help

Old 03-11-2013 at 12:20 AM   #1
elem3ntals

Liked: 1 Time

Dropping Finance? Please help
Hi im in second year commerce and I am planning on dropping my finance course this semester, however it is a required course to go into third year commerce. If I take the course in the summer instead at McMaster will I still be able to get into third year commerce for the 2013 fall/winter session?

ZSimon likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 01:05 AM   #2
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

You can continue into third year commerce "unofficially". Unofficially meaning by title, you wouldn't technically be in 3rd year commerce yet. You said you're taking 2FA3 in the summer and the school does review your degree requirements (in August) but only if you take at least 18 units in total since the last review period (which would be May in this case) But you shouldn't worry because you can still take all your 3rd year classes next academic year and by next May, they'll just state on your grades report that you're eligible for level four.

elem3ntals says thanks to alee90 for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 11:53 AM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

The university hired these really cool people called academic advisors. Now i know the position title is very confusing to understand, so ill help you out a bit. They are people that ADVISE you on any questions regarding your ACADEMIC career. Dont you think that they would be better suited to answer your question than other students? Because regardless your likely going to end up talking to one regardless of what comes up on here to figure out your course of action.

starfish likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 01:04 PM   #4
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee90 View Post
You can continue into third year commerce "unofficially". Unofficially meaning by title, you wouldn't technically be in 3rd year commerce yet. You said you're taking 2FA3 in the summer and the school does review your degree requirements (in August) but only if you take at least 18 units in total since the last review period (which would be May in this case) But you shouldn't worry because you can still take all your 3rd year classes next academic year and by next May, they'll just state on your grades report that you're eligible for level four.
You would still officially be in third year Commerce. You are allowed to drop/not do a certain amount of units of required courses and still remain in Commerce.

That being said, 2FA3 is only offered 2nd term and is a prerequisite for 3FA3 which is only offered first term which are prerequisites for any further Finance classes in Commerce. 2FA3's content is also very important to the Commerce program. If you were to drop it (I highly recommend you do not) then you would want to at least take it during summer, where you would be forced to be in a class with Brewer as the professor.

elem3ntals says thanks to Phaint for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 01:41 PM   #5
elem3ntals

Liked: 1 Time

I messaged the academic advisors asked my name and student number gave it them and they havent replied in 5 hours, thats why im posting here lol, and yea im probably going to drop it and take it this summer, doesnt seem like theirs too many downsides to doing this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 01:46 PM   #6
Phaint
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by elem3ntals View Post
I messaged the academic advisors asked my name and student number gave it them and they havent replied in 5 hours, thats why im posting here lol, and yea im probably going to drop it and take it this summer, doesnt seem like theirs too many downsides to doing this.
The academic advisor's are expecting you to make an appointment or at the very least stop by. I'm sure thats what they will even say in the email.

The downside to taking it during summer is that Brewer will be teaching it. And its summer.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 01:54 PM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Haha Phaint some people want to get results while putting forth the most minimal effort possible, sadly its a trend that is far too common these days
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:18 PM   #8
alee90

I can't judge Brewer since I've never him but I'm sure he can't be as bad as Chamberlain lol. He'd spend like 20 minutes a class talking about his life instead of finance.

Edit: Oops I forgot Chamberlain is for 3FA3. Deaves was a nice guy.

Last edited by alee90 : 03-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:41 PM   #9
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Yeah I was thinking of dropping this too. But I figure I'll just rape this test and the exam and do really well.

Disregard Deaves' textbook and custom stuff. look up "Fundamentals of Corporate Finance 2nd Edition" 2011 on libgen and use it to study.

It's actually extremely interesting stuff..
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:50 PM   #10
alee90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Haha Phaint some people want to get results while putting forth the most minimal effort possible, sadly its a trend that is far too common these days
Lol that's pretty much what almost everyone I knew did for 3FA3. They skipped most classes and crammed the exam courseware the night before...since like 80% of the exam's questions came from the exam courseware =/
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:53 PM   #11
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
since like 80% of the exam's questions came from the exam courseware =/
time to buy a courseware pack..
Old 03-11-2013 at 03:48 PM   #12
Phaint
Account Locked

Quote:
I can't judge Brewer since I've never him but I'm sure he can't be as bad as Chamberlain lol. He'd spend like 20 minutes a class talking about his life instead of finance.

Edit: Oops I forgot Chamberlain is for 3FA3. Deaves was a nice guy.
He's worse than Chamberlain, easily. He's the guy that recently had a stroke and talks super slowly. His practice exams were nothing like the real midterms during last summer when I took it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Disregard Deaves' textbook and custom stuff. look up "Fundamentals of Corporate Finance 2nd Edition" 2011 on libgen and use it to study.

It's actually extremely interesting stuff..
That is the textbook Brewer uses during the summer and Chamberlain uses for 3FA3. Deaves just on that self-published paper trail.
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:08 AM   #13
TryingHard

Liked: 3 Times

LOL, this class was super easy. The questions may seem "tough," but the mechanical exercise is the same. Find NPV, CAPM, RUDIMENTARY VALUATION (dividend discount model, 1 stage).

Like any other classes, if you hard enough study, you will get a 12. Admittedly, this was one of the tougher courses in second year, RELATIVELY SPEAKING.
Old 03-12-2013 at 12:07 PM  
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^lol why is that flagged